Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Trius

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008
The watch is connected to your hand, it's never hands free. You have to move your hand to turn it on in the first place. The point is some people are willing to exchange 'Hey Siri' for more battery life because they don't find it to be an extremely necessary part of its function, since you can do the same exact thing by pressing a button for one second.

I can understand some people are going battery crazy by turning off haptic, etc, which is overboard and unnecessary. But turning off 'Hey Siri' is a very minor change and doesn't take away from the experience--at least for me.

*Sigh* come on man.....

Handsfree is an adjective describing equipment that can be used without the use of hands (for example via voice commands) or, in a wider sense, equipment which needs only limited use of hands, or for which the controls are positioned so that the hands are able to occupy themselves with another task (such as driving) without needing to hunt far afield for the controls.[1][2][3]

Listen, if you want to turn off features, knock yourself out. But by saying there is no difference between pushing a button and just talking? You're being disingenuous.

Perhaps you don't understand the value of this feature? Maybe that's why you don't miss it.

furam90

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 15, 2010
*Sigh* come on man.....

Handsfree is an adjective describing equipment that can be used without the use of hands (for example via voice commands) or, in a wider sense, equipment which needs only limited use of hands, or for which the controls are positioned so that the hands are able to occupy themselves with another task (such as driving) without needing to hunt far afield for the controls.[1][2][3]

Listen, if you want to turn off features, knock yourself out. But by saying there is no difference between pushing a button and just talking? You're being disingenuous.

Perhaps you don't understand the value of this feature? Maybe that's why you don't miss it.

Yes, I don't really see the value, except possibly when driving. Although you still need to push the button 'Send' when dictating a message. Otherwise there aren't really many occasions where I wouldn't be able to simply press the button with my other hand. Also Apple's wrist activation is spotty, so again, often times it is faster to simply press the button instead of getting the watch face to activate and then saying Hey Siri.

Even then for me I value having more battery life. I do a lot of driving and use GPS frequently which drains the watch, having extra battery for the haptics when I need to make a turn etc instead of it being used on Siri is a benefit.

Trius

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008
Yes, I don't really see the value, except possibly when driving. Although you still need to push the button 'Send' when dictating a message.

Fair enough. By the way, you don't have to hit 'Send', you can say "Hey Siri, Send", if you have it enabled of course. :p

Otherwise there aren't really many occasions where I wouldn't be able to simply press the button with my other hand. Also Apple's wrist activation is spotty, so again, often times it is faster to simply press the button instead of getting the watch face to activate and then saying Hey Siri.

Even then for me I value having more battery life. I do a lot of driving and use GPS frequently which drains the watch, having extra battery for the haptics when I need to make a turn etc instead of it being used on Siri is a benefit.

I get all of your justifications, but you're trading convenience, basically what the whole device is about, for a trivial amount of battery life. But to each his own, I use it all of the time and it works like magic. :apple:

furam90

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 15, 2010
I get all of your justifications, but you're trading convenience, basically what the whole device is about, for a trivial amount of battery life. But to each his own, I use it all of the time and it works like magic. :apple:

What I'm also saying is that for me it is more convenient and quicker to push the button then to wait get the watch face activated and say 'Hey Siri.' I'm not sure if its a trivial amount of battery life, that's why I wanted people to try it out :D!

Trius

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008
What I'm also saying is that for me it is more convenient and quicker to push the button then to wait get the watch face activated and say 'Hey Siri.' I'm not sure if its a trivial amount of battery life, that's why I wanted people to try it out :D!

You really should give it more of a chance. It sounds to me that you haven't really explored this feature in it's entirety to understand it. You don't have to wait for UI feedback, just start talking and it will catch up. It's listening as soon as you raise your wrist.

It's trivial in the sense that it does not provide any real world benefit since the device is to be charged on a daily basis.

Last edited:

NavySEAL6

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2006
I'm not understanding these battery issues. I use all features, max brightness, light to moderate usage and I struggle to get the battery to 40 by the end of the day. A normal day with a 1 hour workout brings me to about 20.

hlfway2anywhere

Cancelled
Jul 15, 2006
Fair enough. By the way, you don't have to hit 'Send', you can say "Hey Siri, Send", if you have it enabled of course. :p

Oh that's awesome thanks for teaching me this. Now as long as Hey Siri decides to work, I can do it hands free!

Fiestaman

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2009
I love using Hey Siri set timer for xx minutes while cooking. My hands are covered in raw meat or food so she sets it for me hands free.

Cuyler

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2009
Chicago
"Hey Siri, send" seems to work, but if I have a change of heart, it doesn't do anything when I say "Hey Siri, cancel".

As for battery life — it makes sense that turning off Siri would use less energy. Besides whatever processing power the "Hey Siri" daemon might use, Apple can probably turn off the power to the microphone. However, I don't know if it would significantly improve battery life.

I use the watch a lot and it always has some reserve at the end of the day. If someone has to keep recharging their battery in the middle of the day, perhaps they should get it checked out — maybe they got a lemon. A lot of people say their battery life is incredible.

Cory Bauer

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2003
I love using Hey Siri set timer for xx minutes while cooking. My hands are covered in raw meat or food so she sets it for me hands free.
Yep that's my most frequent use case as well.

For the sake of further testing, I re-enabled "Hey Siri" to confirm the battery drain and like clockwork my watch lost 15%+ battery capacity for the day, meaning I couldn't get through the day without charging.

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
I just turned it off. I stopped using after I felt like an idiot yelling hey Siri at my watch the first few days and it not working. Now I just push the crown

Night_Sailor

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2017
Finding myself with about 25% more battery life by the end of the day since I turned it off. Not sure if its a coincidence or if it really is a big battery drain.

Anyone else tried it/ would be interested in testing it out?
[doublepost=1534777269][/doublepost] My battery was run down by noon with Siri being the culprit. iPhone X. I could not keep it charged. Did a full backup and new install. Long battery life. Then restored and battery life was only a few hours. Disabled many things. I real change. Finally out a nail through Siri and battery life is all day again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.