Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tophercronin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 8, 2014
Savannah, GA
About my Mac:

Macbook Pro 2011
16GB RAM (Other World Computing)
480GB SSD (Other World Computing)
Yosemite Beta

I had Yosemite on my computer for a couple of weeks now. A noticeable bug from the beginning has been graphic glitches when launching apps (a quick flicker of lines and distortion on the screen). But this didn't seem to have any major effect on the performance.

Until I was editing some RAW images in iPhoto.

While making some editing adjustments on a photo, the screen went haywire, and the lines and distortion remained on the screen. I couldn't navigate to the restart button, so I forced a shut down using the power key, and started back up. I noticed some horizontal reddish lines on the startup screen, but once the apple logo popped up, everything seemed fine.

Then I was stupid enough to try editing photos again.

The same thing happened, but now when I restart, the lines are still there through the Apple Logo. The status bar begins loading, then cuts to a gray screen with no lines, but nothing happens after that. The computer seems to be trying to do something, because the fan eventually kicks in, and the underside of the laptop gets pretty hot.

When I launch holding down Command R, or Command Option R, the same thing happens once it tries to load.

Holding down the option key, I am only given the option of the main hard drive, and occasionally an EFI boot drive (that went to a blue screen similar to the Windows Blue Screen of Death). I plugged in an external HD with Mavericks, and got the same gray screen.

I'm able to access the HD from another computer via Target mode, and the drive seems fine, which leads me to believe this could be a hardware issue.

Did my logic board/graphics just happen to crap out on me after installing Yosemite, or does the OS have something to do with the issue?

Bending Pixels

macrumors 65816
Jul 22, 2010
You can run a diagnostic check on it, or try reinstalling Mavericks to see if the problem disappears.

I've seen a few graphics issues with the sorta-public beta. That's why it's installed on an external drive and not my primary drive.

tophercronin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 8, 2014
Savannah, GA
You can run a diagnostic check on it, or try reinstalling Mavericks to see if the problem disappears.

I've seen a few graphics issues with the sorta-public beta. That's why it's installed on an external drive and not my primary drive.

I tried running Apple Diagnostics (holding down D key on startup), but I'm getting the same gray screen. :(

I'm not able to reinstall Mavericks since I can't seem to start my computer with any boot drive at this point without getting stuck at that gray screen. I guess I could try installing it from the other Mac as a target drive?

bjett92

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2007
Indy, IN
\

I've been having some graphic glitches, the same flickering when the computer switches to the discrete graphics. I'm on a 2011 MBP and I've only noticed it since Yosemite as well.

awests

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2014
Bay Area, CA
It sounds like the discrete graphics card is going bad on you. This exact thing happened to me in march, $300 for apple to fix it. I've also had graphics glitches in Yosemite, but they appear to be purely visual.

tophercronin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 8, 2014
Savannah, GA
Well, it randomly was able to launch the 10.9 recovery parition on the external drive. I've reverted back to Maverick for the time being. It may be that my card is going bad (although no flickering since I reverted), but I would be careful around iPhoto and editing RAW images. :eek:

kappaknight

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2009
Atlanta, GA
Well, it randomly was able to launch the 10.9 recovery parition on the external drive. I've reverted back to Maverick for the time being. It may be that my card is going bad (although no flickering since I reverted), but I would be careful around iPhoto and editing RAW images. :eek:

The 2011 models did have Radeongate, or whatever. I got my motherboard replaced about a year ago due to some other issues. Hopefully it's just a bad coincidence.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.