I thought AT&T wasn't going to throttle unlimited anymore ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iapplelove, Jul 2, 2015.

1. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

Just curious then why I got my usual I'm using too much data text again today? Been streaming apple music a lot but still thought they couldn't throttle anymore?

2. wxman2003 Suspended

The FCC never said AT&T couldn't throttle anymore. They only fined them for not clearly stating that they were throttling. Big difference.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I got it too.
    Supposed to be on congested towers during peak times.

Attached Files:

4. iapplelove thread starter macrumors 68040

iapplelove

Yup! Exact same message today around 7ish. Are you in New England? That's where I am although I doubt location has anything to do with it.

5. iapplelove thread starter macrumors 68040

iapplelove

Yeah I just read up on it again is time more thorough ( didn't really care when it hit the news the first time). Guess they will continue to throttle.

6. macher, Jul 3, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2015

macher macrumors 6502a

macher

It's not a hard throttle at 5GB. I got this message too and yet to see throttled speeds. Speeds will be reduced but not like before at .50Mbps. It's more like network de-prioritization like TMo.

I'm at 7.5GB and don't know if my speeds are being slowed down or not but I'm not complaining

Attached Files:

7. aneftp macrumors 68040

Like others states. At&t will throttle at congested times at congested towers.

So it's hard to tell which towers and which times. Although if you live near a college campus u may get screwed a lot with college kids using a lot of cell towers!

I live north orlando suburbs (lake Mary). And honestly since att changed their policy. I think I have seen throttled speeds maybe one time. And it wasn't even at Disney. It was near the UCF college campus around 3pm when school was still in session.

8. iMas70 macrumors 6502a

I received that message when I was approaching 5 GB a days ago. I'm in the MA/RI area. Forgot to see what kind of speeds I'm seeing while I was out yesterday. I'll check that today. Currently at 20GB so I don't think I'm being throttled.

9. macher macrumors 6502a

macher

I work at large university and when in session didn't get throttled speeds.

Also AT&T says your speeds will be reduced not throttled.

10. aneftp macrumors 68040

Throttled = reduced speeds.

Hope you understand what the definition of throttled is. With lte. Throttle means around 0.5mpbs which is still like 7-8 x faster than dial up.

11. macher macrumors 6502a

macher

Do you know AT&T changed the policy? Reduced speeds doesn't mean throttled .5Mbps.

12. erayser macrumors 65816

erayser

I got the message on July 1st Wednesday... 5 days into my billing cycle. I passed 5gb that day, and still streaming music and vids with no issues. Just checked speedtest and getting great speeds from the day I got the text.

I'm not altering my data usage...which is what the message wants people to do.

[​IMG]

13. macher macrumors 6502a

macher

The message is reminding you to go on WiFi. Which like you said the message wants you to do.

14. terraphantm macrumors 68040

It's only on congested towers now rather than any towers at any time. Which is fair IMO. If a tower is super congested and people are downloading a crap ton at the same time, it's not like anyone's going to get a reasonable speed either way

15. aneftp macrumors 68040

That's news to me.

What exactly is "reduced" speeds than. Enlighten me as to ATT's new reduced speeds.

Cause I have multiple lines with ATT and Verizon. My wife was "throttled" last month but at congested tower (she was around the magic 0.5 mpbs) while I hadn't hit 5gb and I was only around 3-4mpbs unthrottled.

16. macher, Jul 4, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2015

macher macrumors 6502a

macher

That happened to one of our lines too. When I restarted the iPhone then there was no more .50Mbps throttling.

The reason it happened was the iPhone wasn't restarted after the new policy took place. On my line I had already restarted my iPhone before the policy took place. When I restarted the iPhone that was being throttled at .50 it was back to un-throttled non .50 speeds.

Try resetting the phone. If it doesn't work then post screen shots of .50Mbps throttled speed when your wife goes over 5GB. Cause I don't know anyone on the internet and offline that has gotten throttled down to .50Mbps AFTER they restarted their phone.

17. eagleglen, Jul 6, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2015

eagleglen macrumors 6502a

eagleglen

I just got throttled. I'm in downtown Phoenix at the moment and my usage is at 5.06GB. My download speed is 0.52mbps. Hopefully it will improve when I'm in a less congested area or time of day since I have 14 days left in my billing cycle. I'll admit, I've started using LTE data more lately since I thought AT&T was going to be more relaxed. Last month I went over 8GB with no disruption.

18. macher macrumors 6502a

macher

Try restarting your phone. Post a screen shot for all to see.

19. eagleglen macrumors 6502a

eagleglen

I did try restarting, it didn't help. Here is a screen shot of the speed test I made. The throttle was temporary though, an hour later and a few miles away, my speed was restored. The time and location does seem important. image.jpg

20. macher macrumors 6502a

macher

Weird cause test was taken at 10:00PM at night. I wouldn't call that peak time.

21. iapplelove thread starter macrumors 68040

iapplelove

Either it's in my head or I actually am getting throttled at certain times. My LTE sometimes slows to a crawl and I have a few days left until my cycle ends. I noticed over the weekend at certain places where I get near perfect signal my speeds were very slow, painfully slow for a 6 plus on AT&T LTE

22. eagleglen macrumors 6502a

eagleglen

Had you used over 5GB so far this month? I suspect AT&T may be true to their word and only throttling at times of tower congestion. I still wish the threshold limit was higher.

23. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

I think AT&T is just sending out those messages.

I'm well past 5gb and got the message a long time ago. But I'm not throttled at all

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

24. macher macrumors 6502a

macher

AT&T doesn't call it throttling, it's called network management. I find it hard to believe that someone can still get hard throttled at .50Mpbs.

25. erayser macrumors 65816

erayser

It's possible... I walked a couple blocks to a community event at the park with my wife and kids to watch fireworks on July 4th. It was crowded at the event... and speeds were at .50Mbps... but everyone around me had slow speeds. Even my Verizon portable mifi was slow. Walked back to my house after the firework show, and wasn't throttled anymore. I expected congestion at the event... so I can understand the slow speeds. That was only time and location I had issues with slow speeds.