I thought Fusion 3 supported 3D gaming?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by loft3, Nov 15, 2009.

1. loft3 macrumors regular

I've installed Dreamfall: The Longest Journey on Fusion 3.0 running Windows XP SP2. The installation goes fine, but when I launch the game I get the error: "OS doesn't meet minimal requirements" to run the game.

The games minimum requirements are XP, 1.6GHz, 256RAM, DirectX9.0, 3D 64MB video card.

I'm running Fusion on a Unibody MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz with 2GB RAM.

I don't get it? Dreamfall is a three year old game. Why can't it run in Fusion?

2. Airforcekid macrumors 65816

Airforcekid

Graphic cards are iffy in virtualization its good for office etc but for gaming boot camp is your best option.

3. loft3 thread starter macrumors regular

I understand what you are saying, but one of the key features if Fusion 3 is the ability to play advanced 3D games:

http://www.vmware.com/products/fusion/features.html

"Windows Powerhouse

Optimized to offer the best Windows performance without impacting the power of your Mac, VMware Fusion delivers best-in class graphics support for Windows and advanced 3D graphics for avid gamers. With a highly optimized 64-bit engine, advanced memory, and CPU management technology, VMware Fusion turns your Mac into a Windows powerhouse and lets you run the most demanding Mac and Windows applications side-by-side at maximum speeds. Play Full HD videos and run your favorite 3D Windows games better than ever with best in class OpenGL 2.1 and DirectX 9.0c Shader Model 3 graphics support—all without rebooting."

4. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

You're much better off making this post on the VMware community forums. VMware employees are very active on those forums and you should definitely receive some sort of reply. Long story short, gaming under Fusion leaves much to be desired.

5. Infrared macrumors 68000

Infrared

What does dxdiag say?

6. loft3 thread starter macrumors regular

dxdiag?

7. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

8. justaregularjoe macrumors 6502

Time to break out the checklist!
    • Do your settings meet the requirements? Remember, your VM will have the amount of RAM that you give it.
    • Did you install the BootCamp Drivers?
    • Do you own another PC that you can test the game on to see if it is some sort of program error?

Good Luck!

9. loft3 thread starter macrumors regular

I'm giving it 1.5GB RAM.

Didn't install BC drivers, but don't hav BC installed either. Just using VM under OS X.

Game works fine on PCs.

10. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I think the previous poster meant to ask whether you installed the VMware Tools. Also, in Fusion 2 you had to manually enable 3D support in the VM settings. It'd be worth checking that it's enabled in your Fusion 3 VM.

11. loft3 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, VM tools are installed too....