I thought it would be more futuristic looking.

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by St8kout, Oct 6, 2014.

1. St8kout, Oct 6, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2014

St8kout macrumors regular

I was expecting to see maybe a curved flexible screen band that wraps around most of your wrist. But I guess they didn't want to get too far away from a traditional design. I know they called in a bunch of top level fashion/design talent, but in the end it still looks like a somewhat geeky watch.

Yeah, long ago I had one of those Casio monstrosity watches with the calculator, then years later an overpriced (and oversized) Suunto Mariner sports watch. Now I hate having anything on my wrist. If I need the time/temp/weather/whatever, I look at my iphone:)

If I ever get another watch I'll settle for a $185 replica Rolex, lol.
    watch.jpg

2. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

I agree with you. I was expecting a breakthrough device that would propel watches forword. A $300-500 watch with AMAZING features that would get people to drop Rolex... but instead we get what we see; a $300 tech watch.

3. Supermallet macrumors 65816

Supermallet

No smartwatch is going to replace people's Rolex watches. They're entirely different markets. Some Rolex owners will get Apple Watches and wear them from time to time, but those watches won't replace the Rolex. And a more futuristic watch would make Rolex people even less inclined to replace their current timepiece with an Apple Watch.

Apple made a smart move by making the Apple Watch look like an actual watch. Samsung has released a ton of smartwatches that don't look like traditional watches and none of them have sold in any decent numbers. The only Android Wear watch that's gotten any traction has been the Moto 360 which, not surprisingly, looks like an actual watch. In fact, the biggest complaint I've heard is that the Apple Watch doesn't look ENOUGH like a traditional watch.

If they had made some crazy futuristic looking thing and asked people to strap it to their wrist, a few techies would have lapped it up and everyone else would have run far in the other direction.

4. ARH1956 macrumors 6502

Yeah, I'm not throwing away a Rolex, Tag, or even Citizen for the Apple Watch. That doesn't mean I won't get one at some point as a tech tool. I don't see even the top of the line "Edition" version ever being considered as a fine timepiece. Cool and possibly a valued accessory but with new iterations every few years it will be outdated quickly. Rolexes and the like will always be in demand for the classic styling, the one pictured in the OP being an exception.

5. Trebuin macrumors 65816

Trebuin

There will be a solid gold iwatch, I'm sure, and even a diamond one as well.

6. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

How/why do watches need to be propelled forward? What amazing features would you expect to get watch lovers to drop expensive timepieces? Watch lovers spend thousands of dollars on a piece of jewelry that basically does one thing: tell time. What other features do they care about?

7. odds macrumors 6502

I'm selling both my brown and black Citizen Eco-Drives in preparation for the Apple Watch. I've only been wearing watches off and on since I was ~12 years old, so watches aren't a huge part of my life. I'm betting they will be after I get my hands on my first Apple Watch, though. :D

8. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

It looks like they copied this smartwatch:
    http://www.vtechkids.com/product/detail/15823/Kidizoom_Smartwatch___Blue

9. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Nope, I don't agree.

If it HAD of looked high tech enough, and very very well finished, it would be taking exactly the same path it is now.

Apple would of used money to get a women who wears what people tell her, to pose for photo's for a magazine hoping to get more sales and publicity as they are showing off Apple's watch.

The problem is, the technology is not quite in place yet to build what people were expecting from Apple.