I thought I've seen it all. Apple Watch is on Groupon...

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Kendo, Feb 1, 2016.

1. Flow39 macrumors 68000

Flow39

Remember the comments from Angela about making buying the Apple Watch a "luxury experience?" Yeah, Walmart and Groupon do not bring images of luxury to my mind. Just sayin.'

2. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Well, you can buy a Porsche, Range Rover or Mercedes from Carmax. Just sayin' ;)

3. Flow39 macrumors 68000

Flow39

True, well played :D

4. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

:D

5. mcb001982 macrumors regular

Yes, but only once it is used.

6. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

A used Porsche is still a luxury car and carries more value than most new cars.

7. mcb001982 macrumors regular

Although the sale amount may be more than a normal car it is still the second-hand market and therefore not going to be the same experience as buying something "new" from the dealership for that particular brand. From the looks of it, Apple is dumping excessive stock on Groupon and if that is the case you're not having the same experience as buying in a store. Now if the stock that Groupon has is from a re-seller then that would be a different story since re-seller can sell the product however they want and do not have to retain any sort of selling experience Apple tries to portray when selling in their store.

8. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Does it really matter? An Apple Watch is an Apple watch regardless where you buy it from right?

9. mcb001982 macrumors regular

Your original comment was poking fun at the fact that buying from Walmart or Groupon is not a luxury experience. You made reference that you can buy a luxury car from car max but you may not have the same luxury buying experience as you would normally expect from said luxury car dealership. My point was simply that you can not buy a "new" luxury car from car max, you can only buy used. If you want to retain the "luxury experience" you need to go to the dealership for whatever brand you're looking at...

At the end of the day, if these watches are being sold by a re-seller (not Apple) then you can't knock the manufacturer for whatever the re-seller is doing.

10. Mac2me, Feb 2, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2016

Mac2me macrumors 6502a

Sure, I'll agree with you on the second question. As for the first, depends on the person I suppose. I will say that the Apple In-Store experience is really nice, a luxury experience if you will, if you have store near you which isn't the case for the majority of the population. We had one close enough to go to and I did appreciate the whole experience there. You couldn't go in and not come away feeling that the watches were treated and viewed as a quality jewelry item so to speak, and not some geeky toy. No pressure to buy, felt well treated as a potential customer. It was nice to have an appointment where you didn't feel rushed, could try on a number of watches and bands, ask all the questions you needed to as there was this learning curve of what it could do. I went in thinking one thing and left with a different decision (an AW instead). And for the money you're spending I kind of feel being in the store leaves customers/potential customers with a better overall positive experience. So good move for Apple with the personal touch. I think they succeeded with that approach.

And actually I almost forgot, You still had to order online from Apple in the early days of release so not so different from buying from a third party online be it BestBuy, Target or Groupon really from the actual product perspective. Depending on availability of some watches/bands you still do even if you have a store nearby. As for the luxury experience, every Apple watch customer still gets that IMO when they unbox the watch.

11. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Go back and read again.

12. Stlcheer macrumors regular

I actually bought one off of groupon today. With a coupon I had from ebates, it saved me a lot of money. Since I missed the good deals around Christmas, this discount helped me pull the trigger.

13. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

I'm not knocking Apple. I got the impression that the OP was with his disbelief that Apple watches are being offered on Groupon. Frankly, it doesn't really matter where it comes from. It's still an Apple watch but I do agree that walking into an Apple store and getting one there is a bit different than picking one up from BestBuy or Target because the employees share your joy in the purchase whereas at Target or BestBuy they could care less.

14. Simche macrumors member

Simche

Well, online-ordering is a form of luxury if you carefully think about it. It's just 2-3 clicks away, you dont have to actually visit a store by taking car/bus/train/Plane (in worst case) or talk to people and be social with sales-men and the whole trip back etc. Everything is delivered to your door, no human contact needed...

15. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Apple is just trying to sell watches. The "experience of purchasing" . . . well that is up to the buyer.