iPad i thought jailbreaking ipad was illegal

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by glsillygili, Feb 3, 2013.

1. glsillygili macrumors 6502

glsillygili

2. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

i would say the one actual using it to JB an iPad would break the law, not the one that develops the tool

3. murgo macrumors member

4. glsillygili thread starter macrumors 6502

glsillygili

but to develop the tool you need to test it?

5. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

ipad is, iphone is not

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Yes it's illegal. In the US jailbreaking iPads is made illegal by the DCMA because you are breaking past the device's security measures. The DCMA exemption only states that phones and iPod Touches are allowed to be jailbroken or hacked.

7. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

good guestion and you have a point

8. guitarmandp macrumors 6502

Thats why you need to act fast before the government gets involved

9. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

yea right...

10. murgo macrumors member

damn, didn't know that. pardon my ignorance :(

11. glsillygili thread starter macrumors 6502

glsillygili

12. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

French or english canadian freedom?

13. meechy macrumors 6502

Don't do it. They'll track you down and end up throwing you in prison for minimum 8 years.

Not worth the risk.

14. lsutigerfan1976 macrumors 68000

I would like an explanation on how they would even know you jailbroke your ipad? All you would need is the jailbreak program once it is released and the ipsw of the ipad you have. Pretty sure they wouldn't be able to tell at that time that you did it. Unless maybe you saved your blobs or something in cydia.

15. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

Ofcourse they can see, why do you tink a lot of apps block JBen devices? Even a dev posted here that they block udid's of known jailbroken devices

16. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

They could get information from Apple, such as IP address, UUID, device serial number, device location, registered address, form of payment for purchasing the device, firmware version, most used apps, installed apps, when device was jailbroken, carrier status, basically anything at all. With that they could launch a lawsuit against all those who have a jailbroken device. Would they do this? Unlikely. It'd be a waste of money and time. Apple would be the body that would bring a lawsuit against jailbreakers, but it would be unlikely for them to do it as well. Jailbreaking is a source is new features and patching of security flaws.

17. Redjericho macrumors 6502a

It's not specifically deemed "illegal", the DMCA just doesn't explicitly say that it's "legal". It's a legal grey area.

18. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

The Librarian "found significant merit to the opposition’s concerns that this aspect of the proposed class was broad and ill-defined, as a wide range of devices might be considered 'tablets,' notwithstanding the significant distinctions among them in terms of the way they operate, their intended purposes, and the nature of the applications they can accommodate. For example, an e-book reading device might be considered a 'tablet,' as might a handheld video game device or a laptop computer."

The Librarian ruled that "the record lacked a sufficient basis to develop an appropriate definition for the 'tablet' category of devices, a necessary predicate to extending the exemption beyond smartphones."

19. wjlafrance macrumors 6502

If I tell you to shoot someone and give you a gun, am I going to prison?

I'm not sure how long "co-conspirator to iPad jailbreaking" will get you, but its illegal to build tools for breaking the law.