Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zen.state

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 13, 2005
Hi all,

I have a dell 20" widescreen attached to a mac mini. I noticed while rebooting today that the airport icon in the menu bar along with adium and quicksilver (all the icons that don't change or animate) were showing a slight trace of burn on the blue and gray background when rebooting. the menu icons like ram usage, cpu meter and net traffic (all the ones that change what they show) were not leaving a trace. this is evidence of burning no?

its an lcd connected via dvi and should not be doing this. besides, even if lcd's could burn my display is set to go to sleep after 10 min.

I don't understand.. why is this happening? is there anything I can do?

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
If you wanna make sure, set it on a solid color fullscreen for a while and go out of the room and then come back and look....

My guess is that there isn't really burn. There really shouldn't be burn... I would guess that it's much more likely that you're being tricked by the sensitization of your eyes, if you were watching it reboot.

zen.state

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 13, 2005
I tried screen testing apps that show solid colours and I could still see it on 2 colours (grey and white) but red and dark blue and black showed nothing.

Atlasland

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2005
London, UK
its called image persistence.

this topic has come up before - do a forum search. in fact i think it came up a few days ago.

apple has a support page for this. its not permanent - so don't worry.

i'm too tired to find the link right now, but you should find it pretty easily.

topgunn

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2004
Houston
LCD's have a memory. They get "used" to displaying certain paterns and colors. Do remedy this, some how display an all white screen for as long as the stuck images were displayed on your screen. I use iPhoto slideshow and pause it on an all white image.

TrumanApple

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2005
zen.state said:
Hi all,

I have a dell 20" widescreen attached to a mac mini. I noticed while rebooting today that the airport icon in the menu bar along with adium and quicksilver (all the icons that don't change or animate) were showing a slight trace of burn on the blue and gray background when rebooting. the menu icons like ram usage, cpu meter and net traffic (all the ones that change what they show) were not leaving a trace. this is evidence of burning no?

its an lcd connected via dvi and should not be doing this. besides, even if lcd's could burn my display is set to go to sleep after 10 min.

I don't understand.. why is happening? is there anything I can do?

I had a dell 2005fpw that had the same thing. I called dell and they replaced it. They then tried to deny that I sent the old one back, and kept calling me. I finally figured it out.

lamina

macrumors 68000
Mar 9, 2006
Niagara
The 23" ACD at my old job had burn-in or 'persistence' from iTunes being open all the time. As noted in previous replies, it is apparently an easy fix.

zen.state

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 13, 2005
wow! so many responses so fast! thanks for all the helps guys. I will do the all white screen with the screen tester I have. or will any colour that isn't black like the menu icons work?

TrumanApple

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2005
Atlasland said:
er... figured what out?

Sorry, not the best phrasing. I mean that after having dell call me like 50 times threatening to charge me for the lcd I sent them (and had proof of), I finally talked to someone who had the authority to make people stop calling.

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
Geez I've never had this problem on my ViewSonic VX910 I hope that doesn't happen! I had a NEC MultiSync 15 with MS-DOS burned in very very strongly.

zen.state

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 13, 2005
update

I ran a white screen for a couple hours and it mostly went away

Eniregnat

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2003
In your head.
LCD Test there are other lcd test programs for os x, Burn In was another, there are also QT movies that cycle through the colors, a single one at a time.

Apple article: Avoiding image persistence on Apple LCD displays
Apple article: Screen Savers: Using With Liquid Crystal Displays
About.com article:LCD Image Persistence-Can Burn-In Happen to LCD Monitors?

Apple Techincal Document noted above said:
In the rare event that an image does become persistent, you can usually get rid of it by following these steps:
*Temporarily set the Energy Saver sleep setting to 'never sleep'.
*Display an all-white pattern across the entire display for the same amount of time that the persistent image had been displayed on the screen. To do this:
*Create an all-white screen in a graphics application such as AppleWorks or Photoshop, and save it as a JPEG file.
*Use this as the image displayed by the screen saver.
*Turn the display brightness down (but not off) to preserve backlight bulb life.[B}...[/B]

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.