I thought Mac was supposed to be "easy and intuitive"

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by newportmac, Aug 2, 2007.

1. newportmac macrumors member

And I thought Mac's were supposed to be all easy and intuitive...

PC Download Instructions:
    1. Right-click on "Set As Wallpaper".

Wallpaper for MAC OS X:
    1. Control-click
    2. Select "Download image to Disk".
    3. Save image to desktop.
    4. Go to Apple menu > System Preferences > Personal section and select "Desktop".
    5. On the "Collection" pulldown menu, go to "Choose Folder" and locate the appropriate wallpaper or drag the image into the "Current Desktop Picture".

2. steamboat26 macrumors 65816

steamboat26

Or download firefox, right click or control click on the image and set as desktop background :)

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

well steps one through three can easily be consolidated. just drag it to your desktop.

i don't mind it this way at all. and its more logical. imo.

4. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

How about Option-Click, saves steps 2 and 3. Or just drag the image off the web page.

Then right click on the desktop and change desktop background and drag the image onto the window.

5. mac2thefuture macrumors 65816

Or you could-

right click
    Use image as desktop image;)

I takes a while, i'm still learning each day - but believe me, 99% of all you'll do is easier and more fun / satisfying
    :)

6. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

Ah yes, for all those times we want to take a 32x32 thumbnail and stretch it most beautifully across our desktop (which just happens to have a higher res). I miss those days. :rolleyes:

7. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i don't get it. you can do this with mac os x. you right click the image, and select "use as desktop picture." :confused:

[​IMG]

8. -hh macrumors 68020

-hh

And lets say that you do this, but then later on, you go set a different wallpaper, decide that you don't like it, so you want to go back to your first one...but you can't remember where you "found" that image online, so you just want to flip back to use that first one again, which is still stored on your disk.

But where did Windows store that saved desktop file?

Even if you choose to take the longest way of doing it on the Mac, you'll know where the original is stored, so you can use it at any time, quickly.

-hh

9. chrisgeleven macrumors 6502

Safari 3 lets you set an image as a background.

10. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

You can't just pluck one example out of thin air and make a sweeping generalization like you have.

Many people, including myself, find OS X to be easy and intuitive. I wont argue, however, that the worlds most popular desktop OS, by a very large margin, isn't very good at some tasks.

11. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

What happens if the website where you got the image goes away and you've since changed your desktop, do you know where to find the image if you want it back?

12. mr_matalino macrumors 6502a

mr_matalino

I agree. If the OP thinks that OSX is disappointing, then he can go write his own OS and let us see how "easy and intutive" it is...

13. steamboat26 macrumors 65816

steamboat26

If you like the desktop that much, you might consider saving the picture ;)

14. galstaph macrumors 6502a

galstaph

I've always found it easy, I won't bother to mention the way to set the image as a wall paper as many have pointed it out already, but there are numerous time saving tricks in osx that windows doesn't have, all lending to greater ease and ability.

15. neven macrumors 6502a

Those are not "PC Download Instructions". Those are desktop background options in Internet Explorer and Firefox (neither one says "Set as Wallpaper", by the way).

Or,

1. Right-click (or control-click) the desktop, "Change Desktop Background..."
    2. Drag image from webpage onto the background image in the window.

...or a number of other intuitive, simple, and quick ways.

Try trolling harder.

16. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

Which is exactly what OSX has you do...

17. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    I noticed that in the Safari 3 beta they added this functionality, which is OK, I suppose, but I like to know where the actual photograph is anyway.

They added another cool thing where if you highlight a URL that isn't a link you can select to go to it in another tab without having to copy and paste it into the toolbar.

18. kwood macrumors 6502a

kwood

Well if you do find a webpage image and you right click and select "Use as Desktop Picture" it will write the image to a preference file stored here:

/Library/Caches/Desktop Pictures

I really have no idea how the OS reads the file or what all it is. But it is not the actual image. It also does not open in property list editor.