I thought my G4 MDD came with gigabit Ethernet?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by jbsmithmac, Dec 4, 2011.

1. jbsmithmac, Dec 4, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2011
  2. zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

It is gigabit. There were no MDD made without it. You need at least cat 5e cable and gigabit at both ends. Otherwise it will default to a slower speed.

3. jbsmithmac thread starter macrumors regular

Oh...it is a junky cable...I'll see if I have a better one and report back.

4. jbsmithmac thread starter macrumors regular

That worked! Do I have to be concerned with long cable runs? I plan on moving the box about 100 ft away from the router.

5. 4JNA macrumors 68000

4JNA

cat 5e and 6 spec is a max run of 90 meters (295 feet) so you should be good to go. use the correct cable, good ends, go fast! best of luck.

6. zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

This issue is a perfect example of why people need to understand their own hardware and what it is or isn't. You don't need to know about every computer there is to understand them. Just your own. If you know what you have then you know what you can do with it and things like this will never happen. How can you ever expect to get the most out of your hardware when you don't even know what you have?

The moral of the story is that a small bit of research can go a very long way to not only making things work right but also learning something rather than just asking other people to figure it out for you.

7. jbsmithmac, Dec 4, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2011

jbsmithmac thread starter macrumors regular

I did research and found a number of places saying my machine had gigabit Ethernet. I assume you can see how a person can get confused when their machine was reporting something different. None of the articles I read said anything about the cable. Anyone that is not a connisour of network cables wouldn't think to research the cable since they all look pretty much the same.

Nonetheless I thank you for your original response.

8. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

until zen.state chimed in, this was one of the most civilized thread ever seen on MR. hopefully we can see more threads like this.
    Zen.state allthough I agree people should research, it was an honest mistake.

9. zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

Can you please point out what part of my post was uncivilized? If my style of posting and encouraging education somehow offends you then please just add me to your ignore list. This also applies to anyone else. I do nothing at all outside the rules of this forum.

10. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

I would also like to add to this and say that:
    (1) zen was the first poster, and generally all threads that haven't been replied to are civilised.
    (2) zen was perfectly civilised, I think he just gets frustrated with people who don't research things quite as thoroughly as he does (remember in his ideal world, these sorts of things would be as widely known now as they were back in about 2000-2003, when all PowerMac users pretty much really knew what was inside their machines, at least to a greater degree than these days)
    (3) we really don't need another thread to descend into an argument regarding zens contributions and posting style. Ive had enough of them, as it seems to happen frequently these days and Im getting bored of reading the same arguments repeatedly

11. adcx64 macrumors 65816

adcx64

Exactly, people who use professional machines should know what makes them tick.

12. zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

chrismacguy and adcx64: Thanks for injecting some sense into this.

If you have GB hardware at each end and do not get a GB link then the only possible reason would be a cable that can't do it like standard cat 5.

13. AmanO macrumors member

Mac Pro 4,1 6 core 3.46, 16 of 1333. GTX970
    I think the error that was made was assuming that a MDD might NOT have Gigabit. The assumption that SHOULD have been made was that there was something wrong.

A company like apple is rarely going to have blatant errors on their site for long since the fan base is so strong minded.

If you go to apples site or everymac.com and it says something, chances are it is true.

Then you start the troubleshooting process by replacing/testing parts.