I thought the Apple Watch knew me...

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by dwjpaypal, May 21, 2015.

1. dwjpaypal macrumors member

Over the last few days I've been noticing when I put my watch back on in the morning I would forget to enter the pass code, but after around 30 mins the watch was unlocked!

I was wondering what this could be; was it measuring my heart beat and deciding it was me, or ha a picture of my wrist? No, it turns out if you put your watch on and then unlock your iPhone it unlocks your watch...!

Didn't know this, handy as don't have to worry about pressing the small numbers with my giant fingers, but cant help to think there may be some security loophole there maybe?

I.e. someone mugs you for your watch, it locks, they put it on their wrist then you go to call the police and your watch is now unlocked!

2. dschulian macrumors regular

dschulian

You unlocked it when you unlocked your phone. There's a setting to disable that, too.

3. supertomtom macrumors 6502

supertomtom

If the thief manages to put the watch on the wrist whilst within Bluetooth range and not have anyone notice, he/she's one ballsy thief! :p

But I suppose you can swipe up your phone on the lock screen and disable Bluetooth without unlocking your iPhone? I think that'll probably work.

4. jimmyjoy macrumors member

Would be a pretty daft mugger to hang around after he mugged, put the watch on his wrist and then wait in bluetooth range whilst you call the police.

5. Mattymoocow macrumors member

Mattymoocow

while on the phone to the police, chasing after the thief, you could check his pulse on the iPhone and tell the cops to also bring an ambulance if required :D

6. ventmore macrumors 6502

If you catch them...then surely the need for an ambulance is a given!