I thought the nTB MBP would be discontinued

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AppleHaterLover, Oct 30, 2018.

1. AppleHaterLover macrumors 68000

With the new MBA, but apparently it wasn't??

(full disclosure I own a 2017 nTB MBP)

I absolutely DO NOT WANT a touch bar. And the new MBA has Barbie performance (as is typical of MBAs).

However, pricing the MBA at $1199 and the nTB MBP at $1299 surely means one is overlapping with the other.

Why would that be?

2. vistokid macrumors 6502

I don't get it either. Such a confusing line now. I have a 2017 nTB as well. The better question is who on earth with order a Macbook now? Makes no sense.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 30, 2018 ---
    So how does the New MBA compare to the 2017 NTB Pro? What do you think?

3. AppleHaterLover thread starter macrumors 68000

I don't know...

When I got my first Mac (a 2014 MBA), the difference was $299 between it and the base retina MBP, and I almost went with the MBP since I would keep it for long.

Now the difference is only $100, and even though the MBA is technically "new", it is FAR behind the 2017 nTB in processor performance (by miles) and in graphics performance (by light years). Since it's slimmer, it probably won't be able to hold Turbo Boost for long either. Speakers should be better in the MBP too.

The Air wins on peripherals - the new keyboard - even though mine has no issues so far - and Touch ID. Since they're putting Touch ID on the new Air, it really doesn't make sense to have a MBP that doesn't have it. This is why I thought they would kill the nTB.

I'm really sad that it seems that there will be no $1299 MBP option in the long term...

4. lambertjohn macrumors 6502a

how do you know it hasn't been discontinued? Maybe Apple has warehouses full of them, and the only way to get rid of them is to continue to list them own their website? I mean, I've never seen Apple yank a product just because a new one came along. Usually, they continue to sell the old product until they clear out inventory levels.

5. Howard2k macrumors 68020

Howard2k

What is this supposed to mean?

Where are you seeing benchmarks?

6. AppleHaterLover thread starter macrumors 68000

Do you really need them to know that the chip on the MBP will be lower performance?
    See:

-iPad 3
    -iPhone 5
    -iPhone X

Apple took those off its website as soon as the replacement was around. And when new Macs are announced the previous ones are removed from the website (but still available in stores for a while, and at retail chains for a long time afterwards)

7. Howard2k macrumors 68020

Howard2k

Yeah, you said it was FAR lower performance, I'm curious how you know that without benchmarks.

8. Acronyc macrumors 6502a

I thought they would discontinue the nTB as well and it is interesting Apple has chosen to keep both models. There are a lot of similarities between the two and from what we can see so far the Air seems to win in a lot of areas (new keyboard, lighter and thinner, better battery life, Touch ID), but the nTB MBP will likely still have a more powerful CPU and GPU (looking forward to benchmarks).

9. jerryk macrumors 601

The non-TB Macbook pro was not updated for 2018 with the other MBP pros. It will continue to hang around for awhile so corporations and other organizations that bought large numbers of them can get replacement units. Sort of like Apple did the the "classic" 2012 13" MBP. It stayed on the site unchanged until the 2016 MBPs appeared.

10. AppleHaterLover, Oct 30, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2018

AppleHaterLover thread starter macrumors 68000

It's a guesstimation based on how the CPU on this is the bottom of the barrel 8th gen and how the one on the nTB wasn't in the 2017 line.

But anyway let's talk numbers (and I may stand corrected on this one):

CPU performance:

nTB MBP has the i5-7360U with Intel Iris Pro 640. It's a standard Intel SKU, 15W TDP.

On Geekbench the upper portion of scores for the nTB MBP 2017 hovers around 4500 single core/9500 multi-core.

There isn't an SKU on Intel's website for a dual-core i5 with 1.6 GHz. Much less one with the Intel UHD 617. Go figure, this may be custom-made for Apple.

The closest one is the Core i5-8200Y - that's a 1.3 base/3.9 Turbo Boost chip with 2 cores and the UHD 615. I don't doubt that what Apple has done here was just play around with the clock speeds for that SKU.

Anyway: the only device on Geekbench using that processor is the Google Nocturne (an unreleased tablet! Again, go figure). I know, it's a tablet, but peak performance should be the same. That scores 3900 single-core / 8164 multi-core.

That's a 15% difference. I know Apple's chip will be different - but keep in mind Apple's won't Turbo Boost as high, so peak performance should be the in the same ballpark (maybe a bit lower than the Nocturne?). And I imagine that thing will get heat soaked more quickly than the MBP, and sustained performance won't be anywhere close.

As for the GPU, I think we can agree the one on the MBP should be far better, right?

11. Howard2k macrumors 68020

Howard2k

Sounds reasonable. I guess we’ll see.

If you’re wrong, you buy me a MB Air. If I’m wrong you can buy me the nTb MBPro.

12. thadoggfather macrumors G4

thadoggfather

its as discontinued as the 10.5 iPad (its not)

the price hasn't moved either lol. blow one was not refreshing it with the 2018 MacBook pros with mandatory touchbar. this is a second blow!

Apples line up across all product lines is straight clutter. I do not envy their software engineers who have to test compatibility across a jillion devices.

13. PalidinoDH, Oct 30, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2018

PalidinoDH macrumors member

I'm still sitting on the entry level 2016 ntb pro, any chance the new mba is better than it or at least close? I got lucky with the keyboard for the longest time but I'm starting to get unresponsive keys if not pushed in just the right spot. Don't know what to upgrade to or it to hold out in hopes if a ntb upgrade.

14. AppleHaterLover thread starter macrumors 68000

Have it repaired/replaced by Apple as many times as necessary. If you got it in 2016, you're covered at least until 2020.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 31, 2018 ---
    My theory is that Apple hasn't released an updated nTB because there isn't an equivalent 15W TDP SoC to directly replace the i5-7360U on the 2017 nTB.

They've kept the old iPad Pro at that price just because they're evil.