I thought the value of electronics depreciates in value?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by acfusion29, Jul 20, 2010.

1. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

my cousin was looking to get 4GB of ram for his MBP, so i went on OWC to find that they want $112 for the kit.

i could've sworn i paid about $80 for it shipped, so i took a look through my emails and i saw that i indeed paid $74.99 for 2x2GB sticks on Februray 7, 2009, with $7 shipping.

why the hell on earth did the prices sky rocket to $112?

i took the product number and put it in the search box and the same item i bought over a year ago is $38 more.

am i missing something here?

2. Construct macrumors newbie

Several things:

1. There are different types of RAM for different computers. Some are more expensive than others.

2. Supply & Demand

3. Dozerrox macrumors 6502

RAM prices just fluxate heavily. It is strange/annoying I agree. Makes guess how long it'll be till 8gigs is a decent price difficult.

4. RedRaven571 macrumors 65816

RedRaven571

Prices on RAM seem to bounce around; most of the 2 x 2GB kits I've seen over the last couple of months run around $100.

But, there's always a sale. If you wait a couple of days, you can probably get 2 x 2GB for around $80 on sale.

5. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Well, it could be any number of reasons. First you may have DDR2 ram which is much cheaper than the new DDR3 and the other reason could be the price of semiconductor chips goes up and down which is typical. If you have a 5 year old Mac or PC and need to upgrade the ram on them you'd be surprised just how expensive it can be to upgrade ram on such old computers.

6. acfusion29 thread starter macrumors 68040

acfusion29

i put in the same product number into the search box.

no, we have the same ram (DDR3)

7. supercaliber macrumors regular

Yes, it has been a year and a half. The lowest RAM i could find in 2X2 was $84.

It surprises me that 18 months ago it was less for the same amount of RAM. I could see prices rising for RAM that nobody buys anymore, but a lot of people still by 2X2 RAM.

Must be those iPhones putting price pressure on silicone!

8. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

9. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

10. djasterix macrumors 6502a

djasterix

11. elleana macrumors regular

RAM prices seem to fluctuate more than any other electronic item. Odd huh. Apparently it has to do with the factories that make it (mostly in China, Korea, Taiwan). Possibly fluctuating supply, coupled with exchange rates?

12. DanMacApple macrumors 6502

13. demonsavatar macrumors regular

14. Oldschoolwax macrumors member

There was a huge glut of some ram on the market a while ago, some companies ended up selling below cost, some vendors went out of business... with the cut backs the prices on some ram went up. Like said above, supply and demand. Try pricing some legacy ram, when it's really old they know they have you over a barrel! That's why I have a big draw full of ram, 'cause you never know! =)