Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 26, 2007
I have been adding a large amount of data to a folder over the last couple days. For curiosity's sake I want to see how much the size of the folder has increased from 3 days ago. I have no idea really. I went into TM, but it will not let me "get info" on any of the folders, and in list view, I cannot set it to show folder sizes. what's the deal with taking all the finder features out of the TM window? anyways, is there a way I can see how the size of the folder has changed? i added a whole bunch of things to a whole bunch of existing subfolders so it will be hard to do it by hand (if not pointless and impossible.) It would even be nice to see the change in used space of my entire HD as I havent added much else other than this folder.

MurphyM

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2007
I can't change the view either - but I can hit Command - I to get information on files and folders.

I can also use Quick View to get information.

MurphyM

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2007
Correction: If I change the view in Finder before going to Time Machine, that view will be used in Time Machine. So the answer to your question is to engage List view in Finder, then go to Time Machine.

theman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 26, 2007
ok, so i opened the folder that contains this folder in question, selected list view, and then went to prefs and set "calculate all sizes". the folder is currently 13.1GB. I hit time machine and this is where it gets weird. As I go back in time, the calculated number fluctuates wildly, it starts at 13GB, goes to 3GB, then to 300MB then back up to 3.05GB then 10KB then 8KB then 11GB then 400MB. It's so weird. Could this number be the amount of changes that were actually backed up in that day? But even then it doesn't make very much sense to me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.