I thought Wi-Fi Sync only worked when the phone was plugged into power?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by duelingdragons, Oct 24, 2011.

1. duelingdragons macrumors 65816

I just opened iTunes on my computer, and my iPhone 4S is sitting across the room, and iTunes picked it up and started syncing no problem.

What gives?

2. Dave Felix macrumors 6502a

Dave Felix

Exact same thing happened to me. I opened iTunes for music and it starting syncing my devices. I think it will manually sync itself if iTunes has been freshly opened, rather just maximized.

3. spaghetti head macrumors member

Under Settings > General > iTunes Wi-Fi Sync, you can click a button to make it sync when it's not connected. I think this is a one time only button, you have to click it every time you want to sync.

My iTunes will see my iPhone when my iPhone is not plugged in, and it will sync. I read somewhere that the iCloud sync will take place if your battery is over 50%. Perhaps the iTunes sync is really like that also.

4. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

Nope. As soon as your iTunes computer sees your iOS device on the same network, it will sync it. Your iPhone has to be plugged in in order to be backed up, not synced.