I time traveled yesterday.....

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ti Rider, Jul 27, 2016.

1. Ti Rider macrumors member

Back to 2010. No, not really but I did switch back to an iPhone 4 from a 6 Plus. Why? My wife got a new job (better pay, less hours, etc.) which meant she had to give up her company provided cell phone. I decided because I wanted the 7 (the #^$*% thing better be waterproof as rumored) we'd give her my 6 plus and I'd move back to one of my old iPhones until September 16th. I'd given my Dad my 5 S and the only phone I could find that still held a charge was my old 32 gb 4 (not even a 4 S). Some random thoughts about the move -

I couldn't restore from backup because the phone's firmware was too old. This is completely understandable but disappointing.

Transitioning back to a tiny screen is difficult. Everything from reading to typing is harder.

I'd forgotten how heavy the glass sandwich was.

It does fit in my pants pockets much better than my 6 plus.

Biggest surprise - the number of apps that accommodate a move to an older iPhone. While a lot of apps just give you a blanket "App requires iOS 9.0 or higher to work", almost as many give a "Download the last version that works with iOS 7.1.2" message.

The 4 still works....kind of. Most stuff still works but it's slow as molasses. So before you complain about lack of innovation from Apple try using a 4......you'll be instantly reminded just how much their phones have progressed.

2. M. Gustave macrumors 68000

M. Gustave

Even funnier is when people say the iPad hasn't progressed. Pick up an iPad 2, and then an iPad Air 2 or Pro 9.7.

3. LoveToMacRumors macrumors 68020

LoveToMacRumors

True
    true but its the same for any other phones

4. b0fh666 macrumors 6502a

b0fh666

I love that form factor wish the SE was like the 4s not 5s :D

5. JayIsAwesome macrumors 65816

JayIsAwesome

Phones and tabs, in general, have come along way over the last 10yrs. Look at Android 1.1 running on the G1 and compare it to 6.0 on a Nexus 6P? A long way, that software has come.

Hell look at the original Galaxy S to to Galaxy S7? I've always found it amazing to see just how far technology has come. The original iPhone to the 6S Plus or the Note 1 to the upcoming Note 7. Just fascinating to me

6. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

My ipad2 works perfectly. Of course, it's not as speedy as the Air2 or later, but it's fine.

And I'm all ready to buy the Pro 9.7", but won't on account of Apple only putting in 2gb RAM in it. There's no good reason why they couldn't have put 4gb RAM in it other than being cheap. So I'm not biting and Apple wonders why everyone is not clamoring for it.

I've set my sights on the 12.7" as soon as Apple refreshes it. Hopefully, they'll up the battery to 12 hrs and it would be nice if they bundle the 29W charger with it.

in ios10, Apple hasn't really brought anything new to the table iPad-wise, so guess what...I'm not making it a priority to getting another one then either.

Adding split horizontal windows in portrait mode would have been nice, but no...they didn't do that.

Apple is not doing many things these days with the iPad. Small wonder why sales have steadily dropped.

7. M. Gustave macrumors 68000

M. Gustave

LOL. iPad sales are quite healthy, without your purchases:

Sales, Q2 2016:
    Macs: 4 million
    iPad: 10 million

Maybe it's the Mac you should be worried about?

8. Savor Suspended

Savor

Pretty old and the iPhone 4 was my favorite phone until 2013. Would never go back to any smartphone released before 2013. Single core. Laggy software by iOS7. Weak GPU where Candy Crush and Subway Surfers would lag and they were only released two years later. Overrated camera with yellowish tones indoors. The oldest iPhone I would use is an iPhone 5s. They go for $245 as AT&T GoPhones at Best Buy. But nah.. Too pricey.

Battery life was fantastic on the 4 though especially on standby. So was internal audio quality matching my HTC One. Had fond memories with mine from 2010-2011 especially my launch day experience and that first year but glad I sold it for $230 in Aug 2013. Some things are better left in the past. Looking forward to the iPhone 6se but probably half the anticipation compared to what I had for that 4.

You don't need to live in the past. Plenty of nice phones under $100 that have flagship specs from 2012. Then go to AT&T's Unlock Request page to ask for an unlock code.

[​IMG]

$59.99 (iTunes-free, removable battery, sd slot)
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/at-t-go...paid-cell-phone-black/4421800.p?skuId=4421800

Follow the unlock steps below. Just don't turn on your phone until you receive the unlock code via email (takes three days)...

https://m.reddit.com/r/windowsphone/comments/3u02t3/how_to_unlock_your_att_lumia_640_gophone_united/

Just showing how much all smartphones have progressed including Androids. You can buy nice phones that blows away an iPhone 4/4s and maybe even 5 for under a $100. No need to travel back to 2010 and suffer from it being so outdated. Just travel back in time to 2012-2013 flagship specs. Waste of time using a 2010 smartphone.

9. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

Jimmy James

To this day typing on my 6 gives a much poorer result than typing on my 4. Thank goodness the auto correct has improved.

10. rockitdog macrumors 68020

Sorry OP, can't see the next iPhone being waterproof. Just about every device I've ever seen with a level of waterproof/ water resistant has been made of everything but metal. Metal doesn't do well in water. As long as the next iPhone has another metal housing I think you're out of luck. Just my 2¢.

11. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

This year's phone won't be the "iPhone 7" and won't be waterproof. Sorry.

12. Beenblacklisted macrumors 6502

Beenblacklisted

hate to burst your bubble, but apple makes too much money from water damaged phones.

13. C DM macrumors Westmere

Too much money? How much are they making from that?

14. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

You have another two months or so to get used to it. By the time you get the next Plus phone, the screen is going to feel massive again and you're going to have some trouble transitioning back to it. It's all about perspective. It won't take long for the iPhone 4 to feel normal again.

15. Kobbr macrumors regular

How much more could they make if more people bought the fully waterproof iPhone and used less money on labour to diagnose (Genius Bar, online, phone support) and fix these phones.. Etc