Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

loon3y

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 21, 2011
To everyone poster her that was against me about a 6th Gen iPod.

Long overdue. Yes its petty, but i don't care xD.

I really don't think its to be a cheaper 1st starts iOS device. Its more for business, again nobody wants to pay full price for an iPhone when there is an iPod out there for $200.

Most all need a scanning/card sleeve. thats another 500 min plus app licensing? If they discontinued the iPod it would only open the door way for android business apps.

Extremely ridiculous to buy a new iPhone if these devices will only used locally.

Cineplex

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2016

I really don't think its to be a cheaper 1st starts iOS device. Its more for business, again nobody wants to pay full price for an iPhone when there is an iPod out there for $200.

Most all need a scanning/card sleeve. thats another 500 min plus app licensing? If they discontinued the iPod it would only open the door way for android business apps.

Extremely ridiculous to buy a new iPhone if these devices will only used locally.
Restaurants especially! Everyone is getting all lazy making you order and pay yourself. If I want to do all the work...I'll just stay home...but I digress.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I just recently read this quote in a book:

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/...-snipes-at-amazon-and-praises-ice-cream/?_r=0

“Originally, we weren’t exactly sure how to market the Touch. Was it an iPhone without the phone? Was it a pocket computer? What happened was, what customers told us was, they started to see it as a game machine,” he said. “We started to market it that way, and it just took off. And now what we really see is it’s the lowest-cost way to the App Store, and that’s the big draw. So what we were focused on is just reducing the price to $199. We don’t need to add new stuff. We need to get the price down where everyone can afford it.

In 2016, it's probably good for business (like you said), it's still a good device for games, and now people who have iPods on their last legs are buying into the 128 GB 6th generation. Getting rid of the loop in this generation is probably making it more profitable too.

Reactions: superscape

BrettApple

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2010
Heart of the midwest
Yes for the business end of things. We have 10 5th gen non camera models and now 10 more 6th gen models we use in both of our auditoriums at work to run AVL equipment. They can control sound boards, individual microphones, lighting system, projectors, you name it. Very useful things they are. I did keep our 5th gens from going past iOS 7.1 however and they still run great. They run on a closed WiFi network that is a mesh of AirPort Extremes and Expresses and there is no actual internet access so up to date versions don't matter much beyond app compatibility. To update apps we just connect them to our main APs and then remove the network afterwards.

I remember getting my first iPod touch (32GB 3rd gen) and it was my introduction to iOS 3.x and beyond along with my first smart OS device before getting my HTC Incredible in 2010 to run Android. Still have the Droid 6 years later but the touch died within the warranty period and Apple didn't do anything about it because the moisture sensor was missing. Headphone jack was not a smart place to put that, but it wasn't water damaged, rather just defective. I do still have a 2nd gen MB model that is still kicking playing Pandora on an iHome and over Bluetooth and AirPlay. Almost 8 years later and it still holds a charge!

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
Yes for the business end of things. We have 10 5th gen non camera models and now 10 more 6th gen models we use in both of our auditoriums at work to run AVL equipment. They can control sound boards, individual microphones, lighting system, projectors, you name it. Very useful things they are. I did keep our 5th gens from going past iOS 7.1 however and they still run great. They run on a closed WiFi network that is a mesh of AirPort Extremes and Expresses and there is no actual internet access so up to date versions don't matter much beyond app compatibility. To update apps we just connect them to our main APs and then remove the network afterwards.

I remember getting my first iPod touch (32GB 3rd gen) and it was my introduction to iOS 3.x and beyond along with my first smart OS device before getting my HTC Incredible in 2010 to run Android. Still have the Droid 6 years later but the touch died within the warranty period and Apple didn't do anything about it because the moisture sensor was missing. Headphone jack was not a smart place to put that, but it wasn't water damaged, rather just defective. I do still have a 2nd gen MB model that is still kicking playing Pandora on an iHome and over Bluetooth and AirPlay. Almost 8 years later and it still holds a charge!
My IpT5 is still on ios7. "Don't fix it if it's not broken" is what I go by here. When my IpT5 runs out of battery, we'll revisit if we'll get an IpT6, an Iph6/plus (I'd like to have a larger screen, and not just the dinky 4" screen), stick with my iPad Air (1), wait for an IpT7, or just cut back on the iOS ecosystem.

Cineplex

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2016

When I ran lighting and sound way back in the day......I preferred 120v patch panels, SS dimmers, analog (TTI) boards, and a wrench to work with my lights. Smart phones pretending to be light/sound consoles is just disturbing. Are we that lazy now? I saw a sound guy at a small concert walking around the room with an iPad to control his Mackie mixer. All it did was cause him to constantly make pointless adjustments to the sound. We don't need this junk, we need qualified professionals will old fashion skill.

Remember when theatre lighting was more than just a "go" button and you had to have skilled people at a patch panel and the console? I did some pretty amazing stuff with 24 6k dimmers, 2 scenes, and 102 lights that had to be hard patched in-between scenes. Boy am I glad I didn't choose to follow that career for very long....what a boring dull situation it has become.

Reactions: g-7

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Restaurants especially! Everyone is getting all lazy making you order and pay yourself. If I want to do all the work...I'll just stay home...but I digress.
I rather not have my card leave the table. It's not lazy, it's security. A server still takes and delivers your order.

Cineplex

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2016
I rather not have my card leave the table. It's not lazy, it's security. A server still takes and delivers your order.
It has NOTHING to do with your security and everything to do with selling you extras and saving time for the wait staff. The card leaving the table shouldn't bother you as they have chips and swiping is supposed to no longer be supported....oh....that's right......lazy American business owners can't be bothered to use the chips because it's "too much work".

When your waiter is replaced by these machines.....remember this thread. It will happen. The service industry is all about saving money. Why have a 4 waitress when all you need is a 1 runner? It IS the future and plenty of vendors have started selling that idea. Just look at AMC and the self service concession stand. Nothing to do with your security or convenience and everything to do with saving them money.

Fuchal

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2003
oh....that's right......lazy American business owners can't be bothered to use the chips because it's "too much work".

Actually, most Americans are just now starting to get cards with chips in them, and no one at all, business or consumer, knows how to use them yet. "Too much work" isn't the issue at the moment.

Cineplex

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2016
Actually, most Americans are just now starting to get cards with chips in them, and no one at all, business or consumer, knows how to use them yet. "Too much work" isn't the issue at the moment.
I don't know where you've been shopping....but all I've been seeing is consumers trying to use the chips and the stores not offering it. Consumers are ready and waiting. Stores are turning this operation into something difficult when it is not. They need to have meetings, conference calls, sub committees, and outside consultants. Most equipment that has been in business hands for the last 5 years can read chips. It is the pulling of the trigger that is the problem.

At any rate, it should have all been completed by the deadline, there really isn't any excuse but laziness and incompetence from the business side of the equation. We have had cards with chips and readers in this country for at least 10 years. I had a card with a chip in 2000. Once again in America, it is stupidity that wins.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
I don't know where you've been shopping....but all I've been seeing is consumers trying to use the chips and the stores not offering it. Consumers are ready and waiting. Stores are turning this operation into something difficult when it is not. They need to have meetings, conference calls, sub committees, and outside consultants. Most equipment that has been in business hands for the last 5 years can read chips. It is the pulling of the trigger that is the problem.

At any rate, it should have all been completed by the deadline, there really isn't any excuse but laziness and incompetence from the business side of the equation. We have had cards with chips and readers in this country for at least 10 years. I had a card with a chip in 2000. Once again in America, it is stupidity that wins.

The only store I frequent that is not chipping yet is Pet Smart. But their whole POS system is major crap. I can order pet food online for local pickup, and it's cheaper than buying it at the physical store, and if I order for home delivery, it's still cheaper than buying it local, and free shipping. How does that make sense, and I still have to sign the paper receipt copy too at the physical store. Target has been chipping for quite a long time now. Over a year or two.

Some stores just don't get it...

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2012

[doublepost=1470923534][/doublepost]Already owning the iPod from July last year this week I bought an iPhone SE then, the next day, an Xperia XA. Design-wise the Sony is nicer but the SE much more powerful.

I always buy 2 new phones a year, just usually not in the same week.

I'll keep the Touch; it just won't see much action for a few weeks.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.