I took my iPad to the genius bar

Discussion in 'iPad' started by kingdummkopf, Jul 28, 2012.

1. kingdummkopf macrumors member

after my last thread, and my screen appearing different to my mums iPad, I took it to my local apple store today. the guy who looked at my iPad said there was something definitely wrong with my screen, and said that I should swap it. I was pretty happy with the screen, it just seemed a bit darker, but still okay. I was a bit weary about getting a refurbished one but agreed since the guy said my screen definitely wasnt right, and this one should be better. I got it home, and since having it, it won't stay connected to my router. it keeps dropping, and I know my router is fine, as everything else in my house stays connected to it perfectly. just made another appointment at the genius bar so going on tuesday, but so far, am not terribly happy.

there's also a dent at the top of the aluminium, which looks almost like a burn.

2. JWSandi macrumors regular

I've had nothing but awesome experiences with the Apple Store folks.

I should know considering all the hell I went thru with my iPad 2...

I'm on iPad 2 #3 and so far so good... first two were just terrible.

Hopefully this time around you'll get a good one!

Seems like that's what you have to do, just keep exchanging them until you find one that works.

3. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

Take it back and have it swapped again, it shouldn't be a problem.

4. kingdummkopf thread starter macrumors member

yeah, spoke to them on the phone, they told me to take it in tomorrow morning and they'd swap it. am hoping the next one will be PERFECTO.

are apple refurbs really as good, if not better than new?

5. kokhean macrumors regular

They are as good as the new ones.

6. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

If I was happy with my iPad i never would have let someone talk me into swapping it unless he convinced me it was some sort of progressive problem that would worsen later.

7. 7DSniper macrumors regular

Didn't you just buy this thing? Why would you accept a refurb? I would have returned it, got my money back and bought a brand new one.

8. Che Castro macrumors 603

From iphone to ipad the first few days after a restore wifi disconnects ,after a few days is ll good

This happens to me

9. kingdummkopf thread starter macrumors member

well i took it to the apple store for them to check the screen, just in case, and when the guy said that there definitely was a problem, i figured he knew best. sure, it was slightly darker compared to his ipad, but not like it is now. and i never had wifi issues beforehand.

apparently if you've had an apple product longer than two weeks, then they won't give you a refund, and they won't give you a brand new one as a replacement. i only noticed the screen a few days ago, and by then i had had it longer than two weeks. i think the 14 day return thing should be a 30 day one. imo.

10. kingdummkopf thread starter macrumors member

UPDATE.

got a new replacement. no marks on the unit at all, screen is noticeably better. compared it with the other ipad we have in the house, the whites on my new one now whiter than white ipad which had whiter whites than the first ipad i had. try saying that three times.

got an email from apple research or something asking me to fill out a genius bar survey after my recent visit. is it a real email? the survey isn't through apple.

11. Major.Robto macrumors 6502

Yeah its real apple thing, I know its ran though another company though because apple is cheap on that part I guess.

To be honest I have liked the apple store alot, they gave my a new charger for my ancient macbook, and it was free

also Ipod touch replacement that was out of warnty was like 60bucks

12. kingdummkopf thread starter macrumors member

okay cool. wasn't sure.

so, i compared the two ipads again, my new one against my mums, and i noticed something weird. if the ipad is upside down, compared to another one which is the right way up... even though the accelerometer causes the screens to be the same way round, the colours look different than if they were the normal way round. i also noticed if each are laid flat and you look at them from the left (at their level), and the screen is black... it looks pink-ish. i'm happy with my new ipad, but i just found that weird. will post pics to explain what i mean tomorrow.

13. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

It seems like your perfectly happy....then start looking for flaws under non standard use scenarios.

Any particular reason for that? Also, your constant (your moms iPad) could have its own flaws so what exactly is the point of comparing the two as if either is a baseline? :confused:

14. kingdummkopf thread starter macrumors member

probably... i have ocd and i always do this with new things. it's a right pain. anyway this screen on mine is far better than the previous one.

oh, here's a video of some guy showing the 'pink' on his ipad. both of ours do this. am guessing it's just an ipad flaw? either way, i'm not exchanging my current ipad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wP6vj2dxv8

15. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Ah, that explains it. I have plenty of clients that come in with similar behaviors (I work at the geeksquad) who have eventually let on that they are afflicted with various compulsions.

Glad you found something that doesn't annoy you, I have seen the pained expressions some clients give when a sticker is removed or parts cleaned a certain way and it must be awful to have no control over something like that setting one into a bad mood.

16. kingdummkopf thread starter macrumors member

yeah. it isn't half annoying. everything has got to be perfect. and after going back to the apple store the first time round and them taking a look at my screen and saying the screen was 'off', i then started my quest for the perfect screen, lol.

... and now i've realised, there isn't such thing. looked at 6 different ipads on display and they all ranged from having yellowish hues, to blueish hues, to pinkish hues. and after examining both mine and my mums ipads, i now see that they both turn pink, when on an angle and a black screen is on display.

[​IMG]

http://s1264.photobucket.com/albums/jj499/kingdummkopf/ipads/

either way, i don't see any 'noticeable' tints on either screen, you only see a difference between screens when you hold them against each other, and even then, it's only slight grain differences. and this pink tint when the ipad is tilted seems to be common. ah well.

17. WestonHarvey1 macrumors 68020

The extreme angle glow on black screen thing is not a defect. That's inherent to all IPS panels.

Uneven tints when looking at the screen head-on are the real problem.

18. kingdummkopf thread starter macrumors member

ah okay. wasn't too sure, just thought i'd check. yeah, i've read about that. i don't think either of the ipads we own suffer from that. if they did, it would be very noticeable right?