I took my screen protector off and now...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TheSpaz, Feb 16, 2010.

1. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

... I can type so much faster now with very good accuracy. I noticed that when I had my screen protector on, I would often be typing a word and miss a letter completely which would make the auto-correct fail and I'd have to re-type the word again. Very frustrating. I'm a fast iPhone typist and it actually helps not having a screen protector on it.

If anyone is having trouble with errors on the iPhone, try taking off your screen protector.

By the way, I was using Power Support Crystal Film. It's a nice protector, but I didn't like how it made my touch screen less responsive.

Try it for yourselves. (That is of course you have extra screen protectors in case you don't notice a difference at all) I definitely noticed a difference right away.

I thought I'd share my findings.

PS: Don't hate on me because my name is "TheSpaz". Read my post for what it is and either take my advice or don't. No need to bash me based on my past.

2. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

3. Shenaniganz08 macrumors 6502

pure placebo effect

otherwise we would be hearing a lot more

"hey I just installed a screen protector and my touch sensitivity went down" threads

4. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

What's there to bash me about? I'm simply posting my findings to help others if they've noticed that their typing hasn't been great.

By the way... just posting "can we bash you based on..." is like bashing me.

I'm still typing fast like I usually do but I'm not missing letters or spaces now. The screen protector makes the touch surface weaker.

I can fire away now without spelling mistakes. The average user isn't typing as fast as me, so most people probably wouldn't notice that their screen protector is affecting their typing.

Anyway, either try it for yourselves. It's not placebo.

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I think in some cases the OP can be taken seriously, though with my BSE on my screen I see little to no issue. I've also used the crystal screen protectors and felt the same.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I dont know about that :)

7. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

You should win an award for dumbest post EVER.

He is reporting his findings and you are saying it is not true because other people are not saying it too:confused:

8. matttye macrumors 601

I thought everyone knew this. Any additional surfaces between your fingers and the touchscreen are going to make it slightly less responsive - however small a difference it makes.

9. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

I noticed the same thing with the Power Support brand. After switching to BSE I've had no issues.

I would prefer to go without any protection. I tried it when I first got my 3GS and ended up with a scratch after a couple days (luckily it's not noticable with my current protector). I know it's the coating because I went a year and a half between my original and 3G with no scratches.

10. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

Over the past three and a half years, I have only had a screen protector on my first gen iPhone. I agree, in some way responsiveness is compromised with the protector, therefore I no longer use one. I have a number of the plastic shields for my 3G and 3GS, but have never applied any to the screen because I haven't scratched an iPhone screen yet and prefer the feeling of the glass. Really, if you take care of your iPhone's, a screen protector is far from a necessity.

11. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

I respectfully disagree. Accidents happen. I baby my phones and I still ended up with a scratch.

12. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Damn straight. I've not scratched any of my gadgets since I was 8.
    Put them on soft surfaces, don't put them on the edge of a surface, don't put them in pockets with keys or coins.

13. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

I hate screen protectors. Things get micro scratches really easily and look horrible.

14. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i thought you gave up on the iphone long ago op....

15. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

Hmm I've never noticed any difference.

I use some cheap no name screen protectors though.

16. chakraj macrumors 65816

chakraj

Ya I thought the spaz was done with his iphone.

17. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

But a few weeks ago, you said you were giving up the iPhone again.

Why are you still using this iPhone?

18. ARF900 macrumors 65816

ARF900

Personaly I ditched the autocorrect within my first 5 minutes of having the phone, what bothered me the most was when I wanted a word for example "want" and it auto complete to "wanted".

19. Eric8199 macrumors 6502a

I have the powersupport crystal and I've noticed in games and typing a decrease in accuracy. However, I scratched my last iPhone screen so I'm dealing with the decreased sensitivity. It's not that bad, still way accurate than any touch screen I've used. I only notice it occassionally.

20. Rooftop voter macrumors 6502a

Not trying to hijack the thread, but which screen protectors do you guys prefer? I had one that I bought from best buy, forgot the name though, and it wasn't that great, marked up real easily. Then I got the zagg, and it's ok, but it still has these little bublbles which piss me off. Want to get something easily applied that works well.

21. amammad macrumors regular

Never take them out of your pocket unless surrounded by fluffy feathers. Never let anyone else within a 10 foot radius of it. Never accidentally drop it.. because we all have controls over accidents.

Do you not take out car insurance because you're a really careful driver too?

22. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

Nope, TheSpaz is 100% right on this one.
    There is a slight loss of sensitivity, noticable if, like me, you use feather-light taps on the screen, when typing and when pinch & zooming.
    It's a trade-off between the peace of mind a protector gives, and the 'can't-be-beaten' feel of a naked screen.

My setup is a black Incipio Feather, and a screen shield.

23. greygray macrumors 68000

greygray

Spaz, you should try the matte screen protector by Macmosphere. Their screen protectors are relatively cheap and it's anti-glare, so it's awesome. You can also type normally on it without affecting your speed.

24. army91c macrumors 6502a

Come on guys..... thespaz not wanting the iPhone any more was so last week.... and a few weeks before that..... and a few weeks before that..... and a few weeks before that. If you wait another week or two he'll post up his next "I''m leaving the iPhone for...." post.

25. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Surely somebody in this forum should have enough physics/engineering background to tell us whether this is likely to be true from first principles. Indeed, I haven't the foggiest idea how the touch screen works (for instance, do our fingers interact with the screen at only mechanical level or is the some sort of electrical interaction as well?).