I tried to buy an iPhone today

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by koolmagicguy, Mar 31, 2016.

1. koolmagicguy macrumors 6502

koolmagicguy

I've had quite the run around.

Went to Target at 8 am. Their electronics department wasn't going to open until noon. I asked an employee if they had the Special Edition iPhone. "What?"

"The new iPhone. The SE?"

"oh, the SE! Dunno."

"Thanks..."

Went to Walmart next. Had to hunt someone down per usual. Turns out THEY DON'T CARRY iPHONES.

Up next: Verizon. They had iPhone SE in all colors with 16 GB but only gold and rose for the 64. No thank you. Silver please. Why should I settle for a different color and micro storage capacity? I'm shelling out half a grand. Why do they fight it?

Went back to Target for noon. They didn't even get a shipment. They recommended Sam's Club.

Sam's Club guy #1 didn't know there was a new iPhone. Guy #2 didn't know when they were going to get them.

AT&T is up to bat. The girl said they were told that they will only have them after the 31st and that they are Apple.com exclusive for now. Apple.com says "in stores 3.31."

Went to Sprint next, out of curiosity. (I know I need one compatible with Verizon.) Sure enough, they didn't have them either.

Alright, fine. So I'll order one from Apple! Their mobile website is. a. joke. Main pages work fine but it's impossible to buy anything. I could make a better website.

Maybe when I get home I'll order one and wait two weeks. Maybe not. I'm not convinced Apple is really trying to sell these things. Hell, I'm so turned off by my experience I might just get a used 6S. There sure are going to be a lot of them next week.

/rant

2. BeeGood macrumors 65816

BeeGood

Sorry to hear that. Do you have an Apple Store near you?

3. electronicsguy macrumors 6502a

electronicsguy

Instead of wasting so much time, why not just wait a week or two and then buy?

4. R3k macrumors 6502a

lol. Sure man.

5. zone23 macrumors 68000

That story sounds like something that would happen to me, Although there is no way I would have tried Walmart. If you had a iPhone or iPad the Apple Store App is the way to go. I've used it for presales too.

6. baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm

Not sure why you returned to Target after how they treated you at 8am. If the main store opens at 8 why isn't the electronics dept open? Target really seems to be going down the tubes. They can't even operate their own pharmacy anymore - they farmed that out to CVS (who have their own closet skeletons). You should just order directly from Apple and stop all this nonsense.

7. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68030

8. dennisjr631 macrumors 6502

That sucks so bad everyone is messing with you when all you want is to get a new iPhone. I went to my local Verizon at 10am when they opened and got my new iPhone se. I'm switching from a iPhone 6s Plus. It's crazy because I've had every iPhone that Apple has released and this new iPhone SE is simply amazing !!! I swore I would never ever go back to a small screen but this phone is simply amazing !!! It fells so good in the hand and it's so damn fast it's not even funny.

9. puma1552 macrumors 601

You live in New York. You have Target, Sam's Club, Walmart, Sprint, and AT&T stores in close proximity, but no Apple store?

Please don't tell me the Apple store is a whopping 30-45 minutes away.

Also if I worked at Target and you walked up to me asking about a "special edition" phone, I also would've looked at you like you had three heads. Apple never said SE stands for special edition, and why wouldn't you just ask for the iPhone SE? You didn't even say iPhone Special Edition, so not sure why the employee would react any differently.

10. timeconsumer macrumors 65816

timeconsumer

If you read the post the OP said special edition iPhone:
    Also, http://imore.com/meaning-behind-iphone-ses-name

So while it's not advertised on apple.com as being "Special Edition" it was reported as that's what the SE means. Still, if the employee knew there was an iPhone "SE" available they should've been able to determine what the OP was referring to.

11. iThingsGurl macrumors 6502a

iThingsGurl

In Apple Stores now.

12. koolmagicguy thread starter macrumors 6502

koolmagicguy

The nearest Apple store is a whopping 185 miles away in NH. Probably will order directly from Apple.

Target is indeed going down the tubes.

And Apple has confirmed that SE stands for Special Edition. http://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...name-stands-for-special-edition-a6946211.html
    What else could it possible stand for?

And I'm sorry for trying to order on the mobile website but it is a fact that on my 4.7" display the buttons and text runs together.

13. noobinator macrumors 601

C'mon don't you know that Apple is supposed to also list the date when every store on the planet gets them in stock?

14. AintDutchNotMuch macrumors regular

AintDutchNotMuch

You're saying that OP didn't even say iPhone Special Edition at Target. But he actually did ask for a Special Edition iPhone, as you can read in his first post.

15. zone23 macrumors 68000

SE could have been Second Edition but I'll go with Special Edition thats fine.

16. puma1552 macrumors 601

Fair enough and my bad, but I still would've just said iPhone SE.

17. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

18. nox5 macrumors 6502

19. BeeGood macrumors 65816

BeeGood

This is really the only sure fire way to go. Either that or queue up at the Apple Store at "0 Dark Thirty" in the morning. I always do one or the other.

Heading out at 8AM on launch day to visit third party retailers while looking for a specific configuration is a sure fire way to end up disappointed.

20. lordofthereef, Mar 31, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2016

lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Did you try the Apple Store app? I had no problems whatsoever ordering from there. Sounds like you want to by outright so it should be even easier. That said, it all looks the same to me whether it's in the app or on a 6s plus (just checked). What phone and browser are you using?

This early in the game Apple generally reserves the most stock for themselves. Carriers reserve most of the stock to shipments. It's how it is on day one of iPhone launches. It's just the way it is.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 31, 2016 ---
    There were maybe 25 people at one of the most heavily hit Apple stores in product launch day in the New England area this morning (Nashua NH where MA folk go to avoid taxes lol). In willing to bet most Apple stores around here were the same and will have stock well into the day, perhaps not even run out of anything at all.