i-tunes card stuck in DVD drive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mjle, Oct 2, 2008.

1. mjle macrumors newbie

My 5 year old got an i-tunes card from Starbucks (cardboard) and shoved it into the disc slot of my MacBookPro. I tried ejecting it but it appears to be stuck. Also no discs will go in. Is this something I can fix myself?
    thanks

2. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

you can attempt to take the laptop apart and take the drive apart. You probably don't need to completely all the pieces to the drive, just the top cover.

3. aarchitect macrumors member

Not without totally voiding your warranty. If you are near an Apple store or reseller take it there first. Taking the drive out of a laptop is not easy. If you try to stick something in the drive to retrieve the card you might damage the drive itself.

This one will probably cost you. Kids. :(

4. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

It is not 1/10 diffuculty easy but its not extremely hard either. If you're handy, have the tools and patience, you can easily take the drive out in approx 10 minutes.

Taking a drive out of a laptop on most modern PC computers right now are just 1 screw and pop out the drive.

5. monkey86 macrumors 6502

monkey86

use a sewing needle or paperclip to try and hook a corner of the card, be very careful and you should be able to snag the card before you do too much damage dont try to eject it as you will be rubbing the cd components against the card scratching them.

good luck buddy!

6. aarchitect macrumors member

I'm looking at my MacBookPro and there are at least a dozen screws just to take the bottom case off. Once you get inside, it's another operation, that may or may not be "just 1 screw". Either way, it isn't made to be user serviced, but it is possible. See here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FM1cM_dZbU

7. aleksandra. macrumors 6502a

Just take it to authorized service, or if you're out of warranty, any service. Otherwise you risk damaging your drive, which may cost you more than having someone remove the card.

8. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

There are not that many screws.

10 Screws on the side
    2 Inside the battery
    3 To take off the memory cover
    4 Under body screws
    2 Torque T6 screws

and you pop off the lid with the keyboard/trackpad.

Then is about 2-4 screws to remove the drive from the base.

Afterwards, you can remove 2-4 smaller screws holding the upper cover of the superdrive but you don't need to remove the entire cover (depending on how the card is stuck) and it should fall free.

And when I said 1 screw, I meant laptops such as Dell or HP. Its 1 screw and the entire drive pops out without taking the laptop apart. Taking the drive apart is another story.

9. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

I nominate this as Thread of the Month. :)

Seriously, having a 5 year old myself, I can really sympathize with you.

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Did you at least get the code? :p

11. mjle thread starter macrumors newbie

success!

thanks for the ideas! i attempted to stick a bent paperclip into the slot trying to catch hold of an edge of the card...after about 10 minutes of "fishing" - sure i screwed up something else- I closed my laptop and gave it a few quick shakes (the hail mary of computer repairs?) and voila- a tiny corner peeked out and i was able to retrieve the card with a tweezers. yea!

12. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

13. mjle thread starter macrumors newbie

all is well...

Well, I tried importing a CD into i-tunes last night and it worked. There is a faint clicking sounds in the beginning but that has always happened.