I-Tunes Corrupted?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by FSonicSmith, Feb 16, 2008.

1. FSonicSmith macrumors newbie

I have a one year old MacBookPro with Intel 2. Today my wife bought me an I-Phone as a belated V-day gift. All excited, I briefly looked at the little booklet that comes with the I-Phone and it said to download the latest version of I-Tunes before plugging the phone into the computer to set up the phone. I now know this was a mistake-no doubt the version of I-Tunes I already had on my laptop (which I didn't use til now) would have been fine, but hindsight is 20-20.
    So....I dutifully downloaded the latest version of I-Tunes, and now when I double click on my I-Tunes Icon on the bottom of my screen I get the message, "I-Tunes requires Mac OS X-10.4.9 or later". So what do I do next, but I dutifully go to Mac OS X downloads and in my haste to download something quickly, I downloaded the latest OS X 10 (not Leopard) but for PPC because it was the first offered and in my haste it did not occur to me it "PPC" was for Power PC and not my intel 2 based MBP. Well, so you don't get bored to death and quit reading, I have since downloaded one version of OS X 10 after another, hour after hour, and nothing seems to be restoring my I-Tunes. I keep getting the above referenced message. I shut down, I reboot, nothing helps. Please help. Forget the damned I-Phone. I just want I-Tunes to work again on my MBP. Any help appreciated.

2. ABernardoJr macrumors 6502

Honestly I'm not completely sure right now, but I think got the same message after I reinstalled Tiger onto my computer (didn't do the re-install that sets it back to the factory settings, just reinstalled it with all information kept in it). I tried opening iTunes and it prompted the message you got, but what I did was go to Apple.com to find a download for the latest iTunes and installed it fairly quickly. After I downloaded and installed the version of iTunes, it opened up fine and works still now. Again though, it was a while back sort of and at this point it seems kind of fuzzy remembering the situation, however I am fairly sure that the error message said it required an OS X version of 10.4.9 or later. Just try downloading the latest iTunes here. Hopefully it works, I apologize if this is doesn't do anything beneficial though. lol

3. FSonicSmith thread starter macrumors newbie

Problem solved

Thanks for your kind response. Yep, after downloading the "combined" OS X 10.4.9 for intel (which I think was my fourth attempt at downloading various iterations of OS 10.4.9 updates), I knew I was cooking with gas when the laptop automatically shut down and took a long time to reboot and then automatically began to boot I-tunes. I can only surmise the particular latest version of I-Tunes I downloaded in turn needed one particular version of the OS X 10.4.9 update. Perhaps this is nuts and bolts for many, but for me, knowing which iteration of the OS X update I needed was anything but obvious. Apple could make things more informative on their "Download" page.

4. Wireless Buddy macrumors regular

Are you saying 7.6 requires 10.4.9? Phew, thanks for telling me. I almost just downloaded the update. I'm running 10.3.9.

5. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Use the Software Update feature built in to OS X. It'll automatically figure out which version of various updates you need.