Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dawgfan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 30, 2009
Rocket City, USA
Mega popups and what appears to be a virus.

I'm doing this post from our pc. Did not know Macs could be infected. Is there a safe mode? What can I do???

Thanks and Help!

dawgfan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 30, 2009
Rocket City, USA
OK, found a safe mode boot. Got to screen with me and guest, but neither is letting me double click to proceed...could this be virus?

Darth.Titan

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
Austin, TX
Searched for info and found out correct url should've been dot net. Those ba$tard$ at the dot com infected my MBA!
I just went to that URL myself to see, and you're not infected with anything. It's just a silly javascript popup warning with a fake blue screen.

Nothing was downloaded or installed to your Mac.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
OK, found a safe mode boot. Got to screen with me and guest, but neither is letting me double click to proceed...could this be virus?
No, it couldn't be a virus, since there are no OS X viruses in the wild. It's just an annoying JavaScript that can easily be blocked with a JavaScript blocker extension. Force quit your browser and then clear your web browser's cache and cookies.

If you like, you can make sure you don't have any adware installed.
Remove unwanted adware that displays pop-up ads and graphics on your Mac
Adware can be removed by using this tool: AdwareMedic

Macs are not immune to malware, but no true viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any since it was released over 12 years ago. The only malware in the wild that can affect Mac OS X is a handful of trojans, which can be easily avoided by practicing safe computing (see below). 3rd party antivirus apps are not necessary to keep a Mac malware-free, as long as a user practices safe computing, as described in the following link.
Read the What security steps should I take? section of the Mac Virus/Malware FAQ for tips on practicing safe computing.

Defthand

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
Go to the browser's javascript options in Safari's preferences (Safari > Preferences > Security). Disable 'Enable JavaScript'. Re-boot the browser. You can re-enable javascript.

If a cookie is somehow enabling the pop-up to reinstall, go to the privacy settings in Safari's preferences. Locate the rogue cookie and delete it from the list. Alternatively, you can remove all website cookies but this might compromise your experience when you revisit websites you engage with willingly.

dawgfan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 30, 2009
Rocket City, USA
Go to the browser's javascript options in Safari's preferences (Safari > Preferences > Security). Disable 'Enable JavaScript'. Re-boot the browser. You can re-enable javascript.

If a cookie is somehow enabling the pop-up to reinstall, go to the privacy settings in Safari's preferences. Locate the rogue cookie and delete it from the list. Alternatively, you can remove all website cookies but this might compromise your experience when you revisit websites you engage with willingly.

They are grayed out and unavailable.

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
They are grayed out and unavailable.
What is "They"? Is it all selections in the Safari preference>Security>Web content: or is it the Safari preference>Privacy>Cookies and website data:?

Another thing to try is to hold down the shift key when you launch Safari (this will prevent the auto open of windows and tabs).

Reactions: howiest

dawgfan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 30, 2009
Rocket City, USA
What is "They"? Is it all selections in the Safari preference>Security>Web content: or is it the Safari preference>Privacy>Cookies and website data:?

Another thing to try is to hold down the shift key when you launch Safari (this will prevent the auto open of windows and tabs).
Preferences was grayed out. I did hold shift and reload safari, then closed all of the tabs opened during this issue. It seems to be working so far.

dawgfan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 30, 2009
Rocket City, USA
Preferences was grayed out. I did hold shift and reload safari, then closed all of the tabs opened during this issue. It seems to be working so far.
I did, but forgot to state. So far, so good, fingers crossed.

WTH was that? 7 years of Macs and never and issue that resembled a virus...Never seen anything like that with either my MacBook or my MBA till now.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Force quit Safari. Hold shift key as you click it again.
OP>> this is the answer right here ^^. What happened is that page is force reloading itself every time you launch Safari. By holding the shift ket when launching Safari it will stop that and all will be well.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
In the future, install an adblocker and then all you would get is a screen like this:

upload_2015-9-15_11-50-24.png

That was on my SP3. On my MBP, I get a message that the webpage is not available.

Reactions: Beachguy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.