I typed speedtest dot com and got screwed

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by dawgfan, Sep 14, 2015.

1. dawgfan macrumors 6502

dawgfan

Mega popups and what appears to be a virus.

I'm doing this post from our pc. Did not know Macs could be infected. Is there a safe mode? What can I do???

Thanks and Help!

2. dawgfan thread starter macrumors 6502

dawgfan

Searched for info and found out correct url should've been dot net. Those ba$tard$ at the dot com infected my MBA!

3. dawgfan thread starter macrumors 6502

dawgfan

OK, found a safe mode boot. Got to screen with me and guest, but neither is letting me double click to proceed...could this be virus?

4. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

I just went to that URL myself to see, and you're not infected with anything. It's just a silly javascript popup warning with a fake blue screen.

Nothing was downloaded or installed to your Mac.

5. dawgfan thread starter macrumors 6502

dawgfan

Great, but I can't get past all the pop ups. They never go away and multiply.

6. dawgfan, Sep 14, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2015

dawgfan thread starter macrumors 6502

dawgfan

7. chrfr macrumors 603

If you're on either 10.10.4 or 10.10.5, you should have a check box in those dialogs that says "don't show more messages from this page" or something. Do you see that in any of the messages?

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, it couldn't be a virus, since there are no OS X viruses in the wild. It's just an annoying JavaScript that can easily be blocked with a JavaScript blocker extension. Force quit your browser and then clear your web browser's cache and cookies.

If you like, you can make sure you don't have any adware installed.
    Remove unwanted adware that displays pop-up ads and graphics on your Mac
    Adware can be removed by using this tool: AdwareMedic

Macs are not immune to malware, but no true viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any since it was released over 12 years ago. The only malware in the wild that can affect Mac OS X is a handful of trojans, which can be easily avoided by practicing safe computing (see below). 3rd party antivirus apps are not necessary to keep a Mac malware-free, as long as a user practices safe computing, as described in the following link.
    Read the What security steps should I take? section of the Mac Virus/Malware FAQ for tips on practicing safe computing.

9. Defthand macrumors 6502

Go to the browser's javascript options in Safari's preferences (Safari > Preferences > Security). Disable 'Enable JavaScript'. Re-boot the browser. You can re-enable javascript.

If a cookie is somehow enabling the pop-up to reinstall, go to the privacy settings in Safari's preferences. Locate the rogue cookie and delete it from the list. Alternatively, you can remove all website cookies but this might compromise your experience when you revisit websites you engage with willingly.

10. dawgfan thread starter macrumors 6502

dawgfan

I have 10.10.5
    Checked the "don't show additional" box the first time I saw it and it did not stop subsequent popups.

11. dawgfan thread starter macrumors 6502

dawgfan

They are grayed out and unavailable.

12. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

What is "They"? Is it all selections in the Safari preference>Security>Web content: or is it the Safari preference>Privacy>Cookies and website data:?

Another thing to try is to hold down the shift key when you launch Safari (this will prevent the auto open of windows and tabs).

13. dawgfan thread starter macrumors 6502

dawgfan

Preferences was grayed out. I did hold shift and reload safari, then closed all of the tabs opened during this issue. It seems to be working so far.

14. howiest macrumors regular

howiest

... and then go to the "Safari" menu and choose "clear history and website data".

15. dawgfan thread starter macrumors 6502

dawgfan

I did, but forgot to state. So far, so good, fingers crossed.

WTH was that? 7 years of Macs and never and issue that resembled a virus...Never seen anything like that with either my MacBook or my MBA till now.

16. chipchen macrumors 6502

Force quit Safari. Hold shift key as you click it again.

17. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

OP>> this is the answer right here ^^. What happened is that page is force reloading itself every time you launch Safari. By holding the shift ket when launching Safari it will stop that and all will be well.

18. JackieInCo macrumors 601

In the future, install an adblocker and then all you would get is a screen like this:

upload_2015-9-15_11-50-24.png

That was on my SP3. On my MBP, I get a message that the webpage is not available.