I understand Steve now... Flash crashes Macs...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ppdix, Mar 28, 2010.

1. ppdix macrumors 6502a

ppdix

Too many crashes on various websites on Safari and it is ALWAYS Flash...

Process: Safari [14386]
    Path: /Applications/Safari.app/Contents/MacOS/Safari
    Identifier: com.apple.Safari
    Version: 4.0.5 (6531.22.7)
    Build Info: WebBrowser-65312207~1
    Code Type: X86 (Native)
    Parent Process: launchd [104]

PlugIn Path: /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Flash Player.plugin/Contents/MacOS/Flash Player
    PlugIn Identifier: com.macromedia.Flash Player.plugin
    PlugIn Version: 10.0.42 (1.0.4f348472)

Date/Time: 2010-03-28 16:01:11.201 -0400
    OS Version: Mac OS X 10.6.2 (10C540)
    Report Version: 6

Interval Since Last Report: 281740 sec
    Crashes Since Last Report: 12
    Per-App Interval Since Last Report: 364685 sec
    Per-App Crashes Since Last Report: 4
    Anonymous UUID: 37DF87F0-9092-4B4F-A7A0-2F4AD7153835

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
    Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x00000000f1d40652
    Crashed Thread: 31

2. Veinticinco macrumors 6502a

Veinticinco

Frankly it's beyond a pathetic joke that Apple and Adobe can't work together to solve this 32 vs 64-bit problem that causes Flash to run like an epileptic snail under Mac OS. Stubbornness and politics on both sides.

3. gilkisson macrumors 65816

gilkisson

Technology evolves. Sometimes it needs a push. I can recall when parallel was the only way to connect to a printer, and serial was used to talk to everything else.

I thought this comic from last week was perfectly apropos....

Attached Files:

• dim.gif
      dim.gif
      File size:
      85 KB
      Views:
  4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Its in their best interests to work together. While sides can and have been taken, clearly there's enough blame to spread to both of them.

Its ludicrous that the iPhone, and iPad not to have flash support and Apple should have been more willing to work with adobe, conversely adobe should be paying more attention to the Mac platform. I have no ideas why, but they've been giving the Mac platform the short end of the stick for years, and then act all innocent like its not their fault. The sad thing is that so much of adobe's business is for the Mac platform.

5. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Ha, that was perfect! Thanks for the laugh gilkisson. :)

6. dirt farmer macrumors 6502

While it's never crashed for me, it does make me drop trou, grab my ankles, and spread my arse cheeks.

To the OP, I'm assuming you have heard of ClickToFlash? (mentioned countless times here). It's indispensable to me.

7. Arrandale macrumors regular

not only that, flash nearly always sends the cpu into overdrive as well

my laptop's fan doesn't work anymore, and with flash running my cpu temps can go as high as 90 degrees centigrade, literally hot enough to fry an egg

8. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

I agree. It's lack of hardware integration that makes the Flash player slower on Macs.

http://www.readwriteweb.com/archive...eat_flash_surprising_results_of_new_tests.php

I suspect the "it'll be fragmented between web browsers anyway" HTML5 is Apple's attempt to break Flash. Apple's known for not selling a competitor's products if said products might interfere with sales of Apple's own wares. Not unfair, but plenty of people in that pesky place called "the real world" still need Flash and for any number of years for now. I'm not keen on Windows, but Apple's game-playing might cost them in the end. I've no qualms learning HTML5, once materials and TOOLS start getting sold, and there's Silverlight as well. People know Redmond isn't the only solutions provider, but people also know Cupertino isn't the only solutions provider as well. Then again, I don't see Adobe porting to Linux... and, for the next two or three years, Flash won't be made irrelevant. And by the time it is, Apple will have a harder time to remain relevant... they should just buy Adobe and fix their purported problems with Flash (and not all of those problems are Adobe's problems as such...)

And It'll be YEARS before HTML5 becomes sufficiently widespread, not to mention developers having to mince around with 5 different variations...

9. dscuber9000 macrumors 6502a

It's not that Flash crashes my MacBook a lot. It occasionally happens and it pisses me off, but it's not a daily thing so I don't care too much. It's just that it kills the battery life. I can't imagine the toll Flash would take on an iPhone battery.

10. Bregalad macrumors 6502

My MBP has hit 98C (almost enough to boil water) running a Flash based game in a small window and that's with both cooling fans going 5000rpm!

ClicktoFlash is one of the most important tools on my Mac. I've left Flash enabled at home though because the majority of content for little kids relies on it.