Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
So, everyday folks won’t notice Smart HDR? 60 FPS gaming? ..

Please, take the time to re-read post #35 before jumping to unrelated remarks. I’m _not_ referring just necessarily to the gaming aspect, again, it was to the efficiency between the differences of the A11 and A12 and how the average consumer can actually differentiate those potential performance capabilities. You’re focused on the gaming aspect, my post was never intended in response to that specific tangent. I think I explained this clearly twice now. Thanks for the discussion.

Thai

Suspended
Feb 2, 2016
Colorado
Please, take the time to re-read post #35 before jumping to unrelated remarks. I’m _not_ referring just necessarily to the gaming aspect, again, it was to the efficiency between the differences of the A11 and A12 and how the average consumer can actually differentiate those potential performance capabilities. You’re focused on the gaming aspect, my post was never intended in response to that specific tangent. I think I explained this clearly twice now. Thanks for the discussion.

LOL...your “talking points” make no sense. Yeah, explaining it 10 more times still won’t get you out of the hole you dug!

Thanks for the discussion dude.

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2012
I consider it a big upgrade. There are quite a few people who don't even notice the difference between OLED and LCD, especially when they're just using their phone for pictures, facebook and some messaging. And it's not like the XR has a terrible screen, far from it. I didn't see any difference between the XS (which is even better than the normal X) and the XR. Same for my husband.

You also get a better battery, a better main camera (which is what most people use...), better night time portraits (because the XR is using the main camera instead of the zoom, which isn't great for night time), better processor, faster FaceID, etc. I don't know about you, but I consider that an upgrade. Still don't understand why people would spend the extra money just to have an OLED screen....but to get a inferior battery/main camera/processor/etc.

Your last is a valid point. The only times I prefer using the XS Max to the XR is when I am watching you tube videos or a film that I have downloaded. Sitting in a darkened room, there is a noticeable difference in the shades of grey and black the XR puts out - not as good as the XS Max. But the difference is minor and during the day I can't tell the difference between the screens while browsing, reading books or just general use. This is still a retina 326 ppi LCD screen, and on the largest phone screen size Apple had done before but it works perfectly.

Sadly, I'm over 50 and have cancer which affects my vision slightly. I wanted the full-fat flagship but the XR was a present to myself.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
I just played around with an XR in the apple store holding it next to my X... Speed for normal usage seems pretty much on par.... The screen is a bit brighter on the X but other than that the quality looks the same to me (I'm one of the folks that can't tell the difference between LED and OLED) the one thing that bothered me were the thicker bezels when watching a video compared to the X.... and I know that's probably just because I'm used to the X screen and after a while of using the XR its probably not even noticeable.

Anyway they are both great phones if someone is happy with the XR and feel like its an upgrade for them that's wonderful.... if you love the X and want to stand pat that is wonderful as well.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
I sold my iPhone X and got a one plus 6t. And as I always do I missed iMessage and iPhone. So I didn’t want to shell out 1000 bucks plus for an iPhone so I said let me give the iPhone XR a shot. Got a 128gb black iPhone XR and I couldn’t be happier. I honestly would choose it over my X I sold any day.
I think a lot of people will be doing this going forward, as ultimately for many iMessage is what keeps many of them around.

The XR reminds me of the BlackBerry 8520, many wanted to keep BlackBerry Messenger but also explore other devices, so they bought the 8520 Curve to keep BBM while using another device as well. It has all that you need without costing too much.

Reactions: That70sGAdawg

cababah

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
SF Bay Area, CA
Lots of X users defending their phones. Which I understand. Look, if you have the X, it's a great phone and very powerful. You don't need to switch phones this year and very capable for another few years to see what Apple has in store for the future.

Feel better now? lol

Thank you, I feel reassured now. *puts checkbook away*

I think all we are saying is that average day to day use difference is negligible between A11 and A12 (both 3GB RAM) variants. Both are well future proofed for next gen technologies with the A12 being even more so.

It’s the A12X that I want in my next iPhone hehe

Nisaja

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2016
To anyone who has upgraded to an XR from an X, or even an Xs or Xs Max, how much better is the battery life? Screen on time, because saying it lasts 2 days vs 1 is hugely unscientific.

eyeseeyou

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2011
Well I mean at the end of the day the list of what is new and better and faster and more powerful on an XR compared to an X is longer than the list of reasons why an X is better than anXR.

For me longer battery life, a much better primary camera and bigger sensor, faster processor and lower cost of a higher storage unit is worth ditching my 64gb iPhone X.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.