I use Avid - What HD camcorder can I buy?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by raz32, Nov 18, 2008.

1. raz32 macrumors newbie

I can't frickin' believe that all these consumer AVCHD cameras are not supported with half the programs out there! This is a complete joke and quite shocking the more I find out about this format. I was looking at the Canon HF 10 but it seems like I won't even be able to work with it using Avid + Mac.

So, what can I get? I'm trying to avoid tape but it doesn't seem possible... Or is it? Looks like you can convert AVCHD files to Avid supported P2 but only if you have a PC! Great, thanks a lot!

Any thoughts on conversion methods that don't take up a GB a second? Camera alts? I'm going home for XMAS and want to take some killer video of Boston & NYC with my fam.... that being said, if something new is coming down the line in the next six months that will be avid supported, I'll stick with my Panny PV-GS120 until then.

Thanks!

I'm running media composer on a early 2008 Macbook Pro, 4GB, 2.4 BTW.

2. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

The pickings look slim. I think only Premiere Pro supports native AVCHD editing. I'm sure there's a workaround with MCP and AVCHD files, but I would imagine it would involve converting them in another program and possibly suffering some image degradation.

If it makes you feel any better, I use MCP3.0 and currently it doesn't support Canon's 24f.:(

3. raz32 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hasn't AVCHD been out for years at this point? Did they not think that people might want to edit their footage? Sorry, Imovie 08 ain't cutting it. Literally. Not on my watch anyways. I'm beyond disappointed. Please weigh in, because this AVCHD is completely new to me. Thanks.

4. besttricker macrumors newbie

Hi...

Its all depend on your requiremnt. But if you want a camcorder in reasonable price with great features then you should go for JVC GZ-MG130EK - 30GB Hard Disk Digital Camcorder in just 234.99 euro from willen trading. It is Easy-to-use HDD/SD Hybrid Camcorder with powerful 34x Optical...

Thanks

5. jrlcopy macrumors 6502

jrlcopy

@raz32: Avid Media Composer 3.0 PC & MAC is compatible with practically all AVCHD cameras, both those that do the Advanced Progressive and those that just do 60i, etc...

Nothing in this AVCHD format should be taking up anything close to a gb a second, you should still be living in the MB world per second.

The best recommended workflow if you want to shrink those files even smaller is to transcode them within Avid to DNXHD.