I use these softwares, should I buy a macbook?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by zandermac, Jul 7, 2014.

1. zandermac macrumors newbie

I use a laptop to work (and for fun), and I would like to buy a MBP.
    I use a PC with Windows at work.
    I mainly use:
    Matlab
    Mathematica
    Latex
    Word
    Endnote
    Mendeley
    Excel
    Powerpoint
    Dropbox
    Spotify

Should I go for a Mac or a PC?
    The fact that I need to use Parallel to use OriginLab seems annoying to me...

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

With the exception of one (maybe two), all of the listed apps do run natively on OS X. Check out the Macs at your local apple store and see how they feel.

Asking whether you should buy a PC or a Mac on an apple fan site will generate mostly biased opinions :)

3. dan1eln1el5en macrumors 6502

dan1eln1el5en

yes you should.

like my setup, get the biggest and best (most expensive) retina MBP, make a small partition for Windows, install Win 8 using bootcamp, install Parallels and run the apps you need from the Bootcamp drive.

Works flawlessly

4. mad3inch1na macrumors 6502a

As mentioned before, most of these Applications work fine on Mac. If you want a Mac but are having a hard time transitioning from Windows, you can install a BootCamp partition for the price of the Windows OS.

If you need to use OriginLab, you will have to use Parallels or BootCamp. Parallels is very easy and user friendly, so it is only annoying as you build it up to be. BootCamp is a completely separate partition, so it would be no different than having a Windows computer (other than the keyboard). If you care about it that much, then I think you already have your answer.

Matt

5. 960design macrumors 68020

OriginLab could be run in VirtualBox more simply. I agree Parallels is a bit of an overkill and IMHO an outdated mode of thinking for software deployment.

I use VirtualBox on a daily basis for forensics tools built for Kali.

6. jdelgado macrumors regular

As stated above, most of the above have OSX versions. However, note that OSX native versions may not have the same features as their Windows counterparts. For example, Matlab for Windows allows you to link directly to Word (Office) documents whereas OSX version does not.

7. zandermac thread starter macrumors newbie

and what about the compatibility of "mac" office files with windows?
    Can I open a powerpoint file, created with office for mac, on windows and everything will be the same?