Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
This may be true but why would someone have to conform to something that does not work for them or much less not work at all.

There is a difference between having good general knowledge, and "conforming."

Kabir8

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2010
LA
If I wanted to avoid work on computers, I would load up MS DOS.

cd..

dir /s

And watch the files fly by. The teacher was so :confused: by this, I played it off as a virus.

js81

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2008
KY
There's a very good reason why schools implement group policy -- to stop students from screwing around with the machines.

^^ 100% Seconded.

Having spent 4 years (officially) as a school IT coordinator (and 2 more years unofficially at a new school), I understand completely. Especially with high schoolers, though elem. kids can break plenty, too. I'm glad that I 6 new iMacs in my classroom... :D

AdamA9

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2010
my goodness people... you make it sound like windows systems never work...

sure they may not be as cool as a mac, but its not like they are ALWAYS crashing...

QFT.

My old Windows machine was fine. I only switched to an iMac because we have the Time Capsule (girlfriend has an Air), iPhone and because Apple had this great reputation so I wanted to see what all the fuss was about, and so seemed logical to keep everything in sync. I never had any crashes with my PC really, it froze a couple of times but nothing to annoy me enough and it did everything I needed it to do. It was getting dated so needed to upgrade, heard good things about Apple so made the switch.

I get my new expensive iMac and I have a yellow screen, a damn beach ball that keeps spinning it's colours at me every time I try doing more than a couple of things at once...

I know I'm going to get flamed for this but Apple are not faultless. They have issues, just like Windows does, maybe not as many, but they do have issues. I mean damn, over half of this forum is filled with people complaining about Apple and faults with their hardware/software. I don't understand the mindset that Apple users have about Windows, especially those who never use windows but have the preconceived ideas that it's complete rubbish. Apple has a good reputation, but for what reason? They create poor first versions of their products, and it's known that if you want to get the latest toy from Apple, then avoid their first go at making it, to name just a few; iPhone, Macbook Pro, iPad, iMac (2009 yellow version). They're not getting things right all the time.

Despite this, I do love my new iMac, I just find it a little egoistic of Apple users to be like this. My friends are jealous of my shiny new iMac, but I've hidden the issues from them because I'm embarrassed that i've spend this much money on a computer with jaundice to be honest.

The reality is that apple makes great products, but not perfect products. Are they better than Windows, maybe, but that doesn't make a windows PC utter crap. Would I go back to Windows; I doubt it. Would I be pissed at having to use a Windows PC for work, no.

:rolleyes:

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
^^ 100% Seconded.

Having spent 4 years (officially) as a school IT coordinator (and 2 more years unofficially at a new school), I understand completely. Especially with high schoolers, though elem. kids can break plenty, too. I'm glad that I 6 new iMacs in my classroom... :D

Lol can you explain how they block chat/IM off all their student computers...? Because thats what they've done... I guess its to stop people like me IMing people in different classrooms and schools when nothing on the computer works except webmail lol...:rolleyes:

Lol can you explain how they block chat/IM off all their student computers...? Because thats what they've done... I guess its to stop people like me IMing people in different classrooms and schools when nothing on the computer works except webmail lol...:rolleyes:

They(The IT Gods) can stop the installation and running of applications globally (across all computers) by each application or accept only certain applications to run. Also they can block the port on the network used by that application for video.

magicnigel

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2010
NI, UK
Reply deleted...

Whoops, sorry, i thought you said why do they block IM, not how they block it. My apologies. Continue with the windows bashing Gents.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Lol on their computers they've got Firefox, though it can't go off any Google website. So your limited to Google search, Google image search, Gmail etc lol... (oh wait not Gmail, that was blocked:rolleyes:)

Norco

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2007
Lol on their computers they've got Firefox, though it can't go off any Google website. So your limited to Google search, Google image search, Gmail etc lol... (oh wait not Gmail, that was blocked:rolleyes:)

The amount of restrictions they implement on those computers doesn't make Windows crap... quite the contrary, more impressive that it has that many options to enable. The problem lies with the IT admins who may have gone overboard with it.

ajohnson253

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2008
I graduated high school in 06 and I remember junior and senior year in graphic design the whole class used macs and I would always get irritated cuz I was terrible at using it since I was so used to windows. Then I went home to use my windows based pc and all this lagging and normal freezing was happening but I was used to it, and the computer itself so I didn't complain much.

Then going back to school and using the mac to surf the Internet and use graphic design apps while surfing the web and listening to music with ease. I realized how smooth running the mac was and that's when I made the decision to really get into macs and how to use them and then maybe make the switch.

A year or 2 after I graduated I went Mac and never went back.

Thought I'd share because you brought up memories, thank you haha.

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
hmmm i dont know microsoft and apple work so well together in the past and present i wonder if they might join in the future to make one operating system with all the goodies of both operating systems and leave the bad ones behind
i mean steve jobs and bill gates know each other for so long ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5Z7eal4uXI

so these two and one computer and one operating system would create a fantastic thing to work with i guess
and if we go back in time both needed each other , without them together ,there would now possibly be no osx and no windows at all and we all would still sit in front of televisions but not in front of computers now

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
The amount of restrictions they implement on those computers doesn't make Windows crap... quite the contrary, more impressive that it has that many options to enable. The problem lies with the IT admins who may have gone overboard with it.

Yeah, the school ones are too locked down. And outside of school I've only used a dying Dell machine (PC wise). So I think I have yet to experience a decent working WinBox:rolleyes:

scroto

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2009
Trenton, MI
Lol I've never had any tech problems with my Macs, and today at school I used a Windows box. The whole class had to use them (the reason why is not important). Anyway, for the whole hour and a half I didn't do anything because the ****** Winbox failed on me... Even the ICT teacher at the school didn't have a clue... Lol then she said that I'd be better when the school gets Macs:D

So what happens if you graduate, are you restricted to working for an all Mac company because you're Windows challenged? You do realise the world runs on windows. I never understood why schools waste money on Macs when the vast majority of employers are windows based.

Disc Golfer

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2009
So what happens if you graduate, are you restricted to working for an all Mac company because you're Windows challenged? You do realise the world runs on windows. I never understood why schools waste money on Macs when the vast majority of employers are windows based.
This might have been true fifteen or twenty years ago but unless you're either doing data entry (which you don't go to school for) or drafting, most workplaces are using macs these days. The only places I've worked in the past decade that even had windows computers had them to test cross platform compatibility for web design.

scroto

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2009
Trenton, MI
This might have been true fifteen or twenty years ago but unless you're either doing data entry (which you don't go to school for) or drafting, most workplaces are using macs these days. The only places I've worked in the past decade that even had windows computers had them to test cross platform compatibility for web design.

Most workplaces are most definately not using Macs these days. When is the last time you went to a hospital or bank and they used Macs. :rolleyes:

Disc Golfer

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2009
When is the last time you went to a hospital or bank and they used Macs. :rolleyes:
They all have imacs at my bank. When was the last time you went to a film or photo studio, advertising agency, or any web based company at all and they used windows computers? :rolleyes:

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Yes, macs are becoming more and more popular. And they're only going to get more popular before I leave school =) Here in New Zealand macs are quite common too, lots of offices use them =)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.