I used Apple Pay on AW for the first time

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by edhchoe, Oct 14, 2017.

1. edhchoe, Oct 14, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2017

edhchoe macrumors 6502a

edhchoe

I was at a Chevron gas station picking up some beer and tried using Apple Pay on my Apple Watch 3 LTE as I didn't bring my phone with me for Samsung Pay, which I usually use at that store. (I usually carry Samsung phone and leave my iPhone at home. However, I didn't bring any phone with me when I left the house for some errands.)
    I double clicked on the power button and put it against the NFC sensor and almost instantaneously the watch vibrated to signal the completion of payment process. The casher handed me the receipt to sign, I signed it and I was out the store with my beer.
    Of all places, the Chevron station closest to my home has NFC card reader. How convenient. I love it.

2. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

--- Post Merged, Oct 14, 2017 ---
    Pretty slick isn’t it.

As soon as my wallet leaves the back pocket all bets are off I will arrive home with it.

3. edhchoe thread starter macrumors 6502a

edhchoe

I am hoping all major retailers will upgrade their card readers with NFC reader soon. I have been using Samsung Pay for the last two years and it's been really convenient but if I can use AW for all offline transactions, the iPhone will become my primary phone again.

4. KrisLord macrumors 68000

Forgive the obvious question, but why did you need to sign? I’m in the UK and I’m genuinely confused....

5. edhchoe thread starter macrumors 6502a

edhchoe

I have to sign at some locations.
    At fast food places, I usually don't have to sign.

6. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

I think it may depend on a number of conditions, credit card issuer, amount of the transaction and the policies of the business.

7. mk313 macrumors 6502a

There aren’t a lot of places by me that accept Apple Pay. I did as at a McDonald’s a few months ago and they did so I tried it and couldn’t get it to work (from the watch). I think maybe I wasn’t holding it close enough or something. I ended up trying it another time at another store and it worked fine. Super convenient, I just wish more stores accepted it as a payment option.

8. steve knight macrumors 68030

steve knight

you n
    don't need let to use apple pay on the watch without your phone. one handy place are the pop machines they were some of the first to work with my watch.

9. Ntombi macrumors 68040

Ntombi

Short answer: America is stupid with contactless payment.

Slightly longer answer: America is really stupid with contactless payment. :p

No, it’s because our financial system is cobbled together from a bunch of disparate regulations, rules and laws, set in place by the federal government and banks, both of which tend to be super slow in adopting new tech, even when it’s more secure. Some transactions require a signature (or PIN) even with a secure transaction like Apple Pay. Some only require it if it’s over a certain dollar amount, but even that’s not uniform.

It’s ridiculous, and I’m sick to death of it.

10. co1f macrumors regular

If the credit card reader has NFC (contactless or that symbol that looks like wifi), there’s a pretty good chance it will take Apple Pay. Just not at walmart and other places that explicitly reject Apple Pay. There are a lot of mom+pop places where it’ll work, and the owners/workers, have no idea that it works. The Chicago CTA (yes, I know that’s redundant) has taken Apple Pay for years at its turnstiles.

11. japanime macrumors 68000

japanime

Is it still necessary to double-click the power button to use Apple Pay? We don't have to do that with the Apple Watch here in Japan. Just wave the watch over the NFC reader and you're done. I never even bother to roll up my sleeve.

12. edhchoe thread starter macrumors 6502a

edhchoe

How does the watch know you are trying to pay?

13. japanime macrumors 68000

japanime

I just put the watch near the reader. Don't even need to roll up my sleeve.

14. Analog Kid macrumors 601

Analog Kid

More importantly, how do you know you aren't making a payment you didn't mean to?

15. japanime macrumors 68000

japanime

Can't imagine how I would make a payment without knowing it. It's still necessary to put the Watch right next to the NFC reader.

16. Analog Kid macrumors 601

Analog Kid

Yeah, as soon as I posted that I thought "they're in Japan, they'll have no idea what I'm worried about"...

In most countries, you'd start finding readers mounted under tables and in subway cars and handheld readers skimming peoples watches when they weren't paying attention...

17. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

Using the AW for Apple Pay is awesome!!

And why on earth some require you to sign is beyond me. I always slash a single line across when they ask me to sign. These credit card companies need to get with the times and quit this signing crap...it doesn’t mean a thing!

18. Kyle4 macrumors 6502a

I'm in Canada where NFC readers are prevalent everywhere, so I've been happily using Apple Pay for a little over a year and a half now everywhere I go. I love its convenience.

19. matrix07 macrumors 601

matrix07

Yeah.. and Pay is more secure. If only all retailers can get with the time...

20. KarimLeVallois macrumors 68010

KarimLeVallois

I LOVE Apple Pay here in the UK! I use it daily for food shopping, restaurants and hopping on national rail to go see my lady. It helps that most shops now accept contactless (£20/£30 limit), or even better Apple Pay (limitless). We just double click the side button, tap (not even a tap, just hold it less than 6 inches from the reader) and walk away...

There have only been two occasions in the past couple of months where I’ve had to get out my wallet and pay by chip and pin... Homebase and Next, I’m looking at you!!!! Bloody massive companies too, so no excuse!

21. Nell macrumors 6502a

Nell

I’m also in the UK and use Apple Pay a lot but at Waterloo station I quite often got asked to sign and now the machines there seem to reject it so I have to get my card out.

22. KarimLeVallois macrumors 68010

KarimLeVallois

Really? I go through Waterloo daily and not had any problems there, with NatWest

23. Neo1975 macrumors 6502

I can’t believe how behind the US is with contactless terminals and chip and PIN. I put it down to the fact there are hundreds of banks and only five or six major banks in the U.K.

We have had chip and PIN for years and I would guess that 90% of terminals support contactless payments up to £30.

I use Apple Pay on with my watch or iPhone at least once a day, sometimes multiple times. It’s great.

24. Nell macrumors 6502a

Nell

It worked fine for me for ages, then I started getting asked to sign occasionally and now it says ‘not supported’ or something. Apple Pay using the same card works fine elsewhere. It’s very strange but I guess it just adds to the awfulness of Waterloo!

Oh and I have to use the ticket office rather than the machines because annoyingly the machines don’t sell extension tickets and I have a Zone 1-4 Travelcard in my Oyster.

25. KarimLeVallois macrumors 68010

KarimLeVallois

I have to agree, Waterloo and SWT are the worst! I thought LondonMidland were bad, but they’re great in comparison!