i used to like my mac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by gonnabuyamac, Jul 3, 2007.

1. gonnabuyamac macrumors 6502

my macbook pro c2d is on its way back from the third time of being fixed for the same thing (recurring, random kernel panics). and to my knowledge, they did nothing to fix it this time either.

this is my first mac. sadly enough, i never had any problems with any of my windows computers. in fact, i'm typing on a 3 1/2 year old vaio that's NEVER had a problem.

i love os x, and before these issues i loved my mac. but, after my experience with applecare and the frustration of being without my computer for nearly a month, i'm probably done with this mac experience. my experience has convinced a few others who were considering making the switch to change their minds.

does an applecare plan transfer if you sell your computer?

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I think it is a shame that you had such an awful experience. On the whole Apples have a better reliability rating than other manufacturers but that obviously doesn't help you. If the problem persists, be polite but firm with Apple and insist on a new machine. Since this is your third time, they should comply without too much fuss.

Yes, AppleCare transfers with the computer.

3. McGarvels macrumors 6502

McGarvels

Dude, you got a lemon. This happens with any product that is mass produced. Call Applecare again and escalate this problem. If that still doesn't help, email Steve. If that doesn't work call AppleCare corporate:

AppleCare Corporate
    408-996-1010
    Ask Operator for Gene Teluse, the VP of Customer Care, make sure you have all of your AppleCase/Repair #'s.

This might get you somewhere. Regardless, you shouldn't give up so easy on your Mac. Hope it all works out for you.

Cheers

4. brasscat macrumors 6502

brasscat

For perspective, I've owned two minis, one powerbook, one macbook, one macbook pro, one powermac g5, one imac 24", and have only had one power supply issue that was easily repaired (for free).

5. seahawk09 macrumors regular

Dude please stay with apple things happen and i am sure apple is very fustrated that they cant figure this problem out but I concor with the last statement be polite but firm and asked for a new machine I think after this they will be expecting you to ask for a new machine, I know I would. Macs are very reliable sometimes things are out of our control. use your warranty thats what it's for thats your hagal card there use it.

Good luck

Richard:)

6. shortelvis macrumors member

Applecare WILL replace your Macbook, trust me!

They always do, you just have to make your case that you can't go any longer without a computer. They aren't just going to give another one away, that's not cost effective, UNLESS you ask them to and they will begin the process. It's that simple. Don't worry, I've had a lemon, and that lemon became a shiny new upgraded Imac. I had a customer go from a G5 tower to MacPro and he didn't even have Applecare and was 2 years outside of his 1 year warranty. Just be polite and savvy...savvy?

7. nutman macrumors regular

wow. That sentence totally made me cry. The periods and commas are begging to be used.

But back to the OP, you do have a good reason to turbo your case up to the top. Many people who have had so many problems have received compensation for their wasted time.

8. drake macrumors 6502a

drake

9. gonnabuyamac thread starter macrumors 6502

my laptop should arrive tomorrow, so my plan at this point is to use it until it has its next kernel panic, then call them ... and kindly ... tell them that this is really unacceptable and that i'm entirely disappointed with the service that i have received from them so far.

i really wouldn't mind keeping my laptop (rather than getting a new one) if they would just fix it.

10. WannaGoMac macrumors 65816

IMHO, you're likely not being pushy enough. Don't take that from support. Demand a new unit and be done with it. Seriously, I am surprised they didn't just send you a replacement sooner...

11. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

And if that doesn't work, send an email to Steve. :) (sjobs@apple.com)

12. skierdude macrumors member

skierdude

Sorry you have had such a bad experiance with your mb. this is my first one also and I havn't had one problem on it.:)

Yes apple care always stays with the macbook.:apple:

13. seany916 macrumors 6502

Stick with what works for you. If VAIOs rock your house, stick with VAIOs. Mine died after only 8 months. I miss being able to hot swap my batteries though...

I only use Apple computers because they work for me. More reliably so than any PCs other than 1 my friend built for me. Should a new computer company come out with better, faster, more reliable computers... then I'll buy them over Apple hardware. The fruity brand just works for me.

If Sony works for you, stick with it.

14. gonnabuyamac thread starter macrumors 6502

surely that's not his real email is it? :)

15. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Not his personal email, but it goes to his office and his secretaries will see it. Other MR members have emailed it and gotten a response within a day and the situation resolved within a week or so.

16. panda macrumors regular

sad, but maybe this helps...

flobticube is right...

generally the (unwritten) return policy is that if the problem is not fixed after 3 attempts, a new machine can be asked for. :)

i hope it works out, macs are amazing.

17. awmazz macrumors 65816

I had the same experience when I got my G4 desktop back in 2002. I was really disillusioned. But it turned out to be a just bad batch of RAM (3 of the 4 sticks were faulty, replaced them all with crucial RAM), and it has been my stalwart machine ever since with never a problem or glitch for the last five years.

18. gonnabuyamac thread starter macrumors 6502

it's back

ok... so i got it back today. the third time they finally addressed the issue - i hope. they put in different RAM. we'll see if that fixes the issue. kinda ticks me off that it took three times for them just to fix the RAM.

If it is fixed, i'm happy - even though i was starting to get my hopes up for a new MBP :rolleyes:

19. Frisco macrumors 68020

Okay good luck! Keep us informed!

20. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

Apple is better at taking care of issues then any other computer company I have dealt with, although sometimes things slip through. You got a lemon, the 3 time sending back should get you a new unit. This seems to be the course of action. I myself have never had any issues outside my old iPod. It sucks that you got a lemon. If you call Apple care and let them know this is the 3rd time the computer has gone back, with nothing being fixed and you would prefer a replacement unit, they should be able to help you out.