I Wanna Buy! But no update on the horizon

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by djhones, Sep 17, 2012.

  1. djhones macrumors newbie

    Sep 17, 2012
    It sure is frustrating to be in the market to drop $4000 on a desktop Mac Pro and not seeing much in the future for upgrades.....not even USB 3.0 ! Must be way more profitable to be upgrading the iPhone and iPad every year. Anyone else in the same boat as me?
  2. vander macrumors member

    Jun 30, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    Yes, I was, so just decided to find the very best deal on a used Mac Pro locally. I looked at a bunch of machines before I settled on an 2.4 dual quad core mid 2010 machine. Then set about upgrading the ram to 32 gig & adding a 512 ssd. All in I've spent about $2,800. Now I have a great computer which will last at least until the next Pro gets released which probably won't be until well into 2013. At that point this machine will be relegated to server duties & should easily last another 3-4 years. While I'd still like to buying newer tech, at least with regard to the Xeon family, there's still alot of life left in the existing models.

    So I'd suggest finding a good quality used machine or buy a refurbished model from Apple. Best of luck with your decision.
  3. phpmaven macrumors 68040


    Jun 12, 2009
    San Clemente, CA USA
    Or you could go Hackintosh.

    That's what my plan is. I can build a machine for around $2K that will rival the fastest Mac Pros. And probably give the new ones a run for their money as well.
  4. gpzjock, Sep 18, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2012

    gpzjock macrumors 6502a

    May 4, 2009
    Patience my padawan, shrouded in secrecy are the ways of the Mac Pro development cycle.
  5. avemestr macrumors regular

    Aug 14, 2012
    That's a good deal. If you dropped in a couple of W5590s and a better graphics card (ie. GTX 570) that machine would be a nice workstation for several years to come.
  6. vander macrumors member

    Jun 30, 2007
    San Diego, CA

    I don't want to hijack the thread, so won't say much, but yes, I'm looking at upgrading the cpu's at some point, would love to put X5690's in it, then it would really scream, but the cost of those along is more than I've paid so far.

    For the OP, you've got choices, don't feel like you have to wait, I'm extremely happy with my used mac pro, the expandability is amazing, sure it doesn't have USB 3 or thunderbolt, but for me its less than half the price of a newer computer configured the way I have mine now.

    I believe if you look at Tim Cook's statement about the update to the Mac Pro, you could be waiting until the end of 2013. He says, later in 2013. I'm thinking they will wait until the next major update to the Xeon family before they introduce a new Mac Pro. As a point of trivia, if the Mac Pro is their flagship computer, its interesting to note that for the last few product intros, they always have two iMacs on stage to do their demos with. You'd think they would use Mac Pros...so clearly this is an indication even internally that the Mac Pro is no longer king of the hill, too bad.

Share This Page