I wanna see how much the iPhone can take

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by EducationApp, Nov 27, 2011.

1. EducationApp macrumors newbie

What do you think I should implement to see how hot I can get an iPhone to go. Just for fun, I want to see how well the different IOS devices can take the same load. What do you think I should try to essentially overload the processor?

2. jnoxx macrumors 65816

jnoxx

Errr, unless it's jailbroken you can't really do that since it's all protected for experiments like that.

3. EducationApp thread starter macrumors newbie

So even if I throw a loop with some GPS coordinates that it has to find on a map and set directions and have some animations all going on at the same time, it won't overload it?

4. jnoxx macrumors 65816

jnoxx

Thing is, if you force too much memory, iOS will take over, and just kill your app.. it's to protect the customer ofcourse, this is not android ;)

5. zedzeek macrumors newbie

It would be quite easy to do. IOS shouldnt be able to stop it, just do a large loop in some fragment shader with plenty of memory operations. The device will get hot & as a certain temperature is reached I assume will just cut out. Dont blame me if you screw your device though. I doubt very much apple will let you publish such an app on their site though :D

6. 1458279 Suspended

I'm no expert, but don't we already have heavy graphics games that do just that? and the device doesn't shut down or overheat.

Given the problems of the past with notebooks catching fire, I think they've got these kinda problems worked out. Example, the storage is no longer an actual hard disk, it's now a 'ram disk' no moving parts.

I just don't see how you could do this.

7. zedzeek macrumors newbie