I want a 13" MBP! Student discounts?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Eminemdrdre00, Jul 13, 2009.

1. Eminemdrdre00 macrumors 6502a

Eminemdrdre00

I'm very fortunate to have just been offered a full time job. I'm still a student though, and will finish my degree by going to night classes. I want to treat myself to a 13" MBP since I need a new laptop. I have 2 questions:
    1) Can I get the student discount all year round, or just during their summer promotion period?

2) I ask this because I can be patient...while I'd love to go get one right now, I think I'm going to wait until Snow Leopard so I dont have to pay for 2 copies (I'll be upgrading my iMac). Does anyone see the MBP getting a bump sometime this fall? I kind of want to wait until the next small update, just to be safe.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

1. Yea, I think so

2. Just buy the family pack for 49$. MBP will likely get an update before the end of this year

3. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

There may be a small spec update in Fall but the major one will be next year.

4. JustLikeYou macrumors member

You get the student discount all year round, but the free ipod promotion only lasts through the summer

5. Eminemdrdre00 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Eminemdrdre00

See thats the thing...I have an iPhone already, I'd probably just sell the iPod Touch. So I could make $200 if I buy now...but risk getting the greatest/fast MBP of 2009. I think I might want to wait it out.

6. Matt Phoenix macrumors regular

If you buy a new Mac, you can preorder Snow Leopard for $10. I have mine paid for and it'll be shipped when released!

And if you get a Mac now, you get the iPod AND a free printer. Any other time, you just get a small discount on the computer (and the printer).

7. Eminemdrdre00 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Eminemdrdre00

So I could get it now...get a free iPod Touch/Printer ($300) value. Or wait for a small speed bump, and get a free printer ($100) value. I guess it'd make more sense to buy now, since I plan on selling the iPod/printer. Thanks for your input guys. Do you see any other update this fall other than a small speed bump?

8. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Since you're a student and for the sake of discussion i'll just assume you want to program Mac applications (just play along) you can use your student status to get enrolled in the Apple Developer Connection as a student and get I think either a 20% or 25% discount on your comp purchase (which can include a laptop and display).

Cost to join is $100, And you only get such a discount once in your lifetime (as long as you don't upgrade to the other membership levels). The costs aren't drastic on the current 13 inchers available but once you get into the high range MBPs the value is there.

9. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

As previously mentioned, the educational discount is all year 'round. The back to school special, is a special, which makes the pricing, well, more special.

If you truly need a new laptop, and can afford it, why wait? You'll be able to get 10.6 for only $10, so cost shouldn't really be a factor in that part of the equation.

And as for trying to make a purchasing decision now based on predictions on apple's future product plans is pointless. Who the frak knows what they're going to do? If you get a mbp now, you'll have the newest hotness from apple for at least a little bit, maybe six months or a year. If you wait very much longer, there is a chance that you may be buying a soon to be updated model. :eek:

Let's just say that apple releases an substantial update in however many months like quad cores. That doesn't mean that a current system will run any slower. Despite snow leopard, there may even be a possibility that it will take time for current apps to be updated to take full advantage of the new hardware.

Also consider the possibility of getting a refurbed nvidia white book on the apple refurb page or a last gen unibody macbook on craiglist for about the same price as you would probably get with the selling of the printer and iPod touch. In addition, no sales tax.

If you need a new machine, buy it, and use it until it no longer works or no longer does what you need it to do. At that time, buy another new machine.

10. boston44 macrumors 6502

Buy it now, get the iTouch and sell it before people realize a new one is coming out and stop buying it. If there is an update, it will be small because it should focus on the iTouch and iMac.