I want a 4870 for my 2008 Mac Pro!

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by pprior, Mar 3, 2009.

1. pprior macrumors 65816

I have a mac pro with the 8800Nvidia card, want the 4870 - any news on availability or is this a with new mac pro only item??

2. grue macrumors 65816

You can get one, it'll be about $400 or something equally retarded.

Those of us with 2007 or 2006 Mac Pros have been once again sodomized by Apple. Hooray for being third class customers.

3. paulg1979 macrumors member

Yes I want one of these too. Will that run a 24" LED screen?

4. grue macrumors 65816

Yup, you too can run the "Mirror With An LCD Behind It", otherwise known as the 24" Cinema Display!

5. nanofrog macrumors G4

There's an indication that others have already begun running a 4870 with QE/QI enabled. Apparently they're using a leaked copy of the kext file. :)

So maybe it won't be so crazy this time with having to locate an EFI compliant card, or flashing a PC variant. ;) Not to mention cheaper. :D

6. nateDEEZY macrumors 6502a

Flashing a PC variant, I'm sure will be the case for Mac Pro users.

7. nanofrog macrumors G4

As I understand it, owners of the '08 MP are already using it with leaked kext files. :eek: With no available Mac specific model available, that must mean using PC variants. :)

This might prove a good omen, even for '06 & '07 MP owners. (No flashing required). But I reserve the right to wait and see. ;) :p

8. mackmack macrumors member

Will flashing present the fewest compatibility problems/quirks?

9. nateDEEZY macrumors 6502a

I think you may have read that from me, I had not said anything about 08 Mac Pro users using them.

Currently Hackintosh users are using them, as far as I know, considering we don't have to deal (at least, most of the time) with having to flash roms.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=155477

Yes. I had to flash my 8800GT due to the quicktime update in 10.5.6 adding support for upstream hdcp, or something along those lines. The quirk it caused my system was whenever itunes/quicktimes was on it caused my mouse to stutter.

10. paulg1979 macrumors member

Just seen on the Apple site that you need Mac OS X v10.5.7 or later to use the 4870. Thats not even put yet:confused:

11. nanofrog macrumors G4

I know hackintosh has been using them, but for some reason had interpreted statements (other forums, not just yours), that they had it running on an '08 MP. :confused:

I would think flashing would be the more likely route, as I doubt Apple has expanded the BIOS emulation to run concurrently for peripheral devices under OS X. (I've never seen a copy of Apple's EFI, so I don't know how easily they could accomplish this).

12. pprior thread starter macrumors 65816

Was about to order today, then realized I'm using 2 DVI monitors. A "dual port" DVI port can't be split to run 2 monitors can it?

I don't have display port, and am waiting to upgrade to a single 30" display under apple gets theirs updated, so if I want to continue to run 2 x DVI monitors can it be done with this card?

13. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Run the 30" off of the DVI port on the monitor. For anything else, you'll need to buy the adapter for Mini DisplayPort.

14. nanofrog macrumors G4

Actually, it's possible, if you stick to 1920x1200 native resolution or lower. :eek: :D (Wouldn't work so well with a pair of 30" units).

You'd need one of these. ;)

15. pprior thread starter macrumors 65816

Sorry wasn't clear - I have 2 x 21" monitors, both DVI.

I wasn't aware of a minidisplayport to DVI adaptor - does it cause image quality to suffer?

Edit: nanofrog, I missed your reponse. That looks like what I would need. Again I question: would it cause any artifact or image quality reduction? DVI is digital, so I assume not.

16. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

It shouldn't... but it does on the dual-link one.

Just get the single link adapter, as that hasn't been having problems.

17. nanofrog macrumors G4

As Tallest Skil indicated, it shouldn't. ;)

Either the DVI Y cable or DVI to Mini DisplayPort adapter would work, but IIRC, the Y adapter would be less expensive. (I haven't checked the price since VESA adopted Mini DisplayPort into the DisplayPort standard).