I want a Battery Warning Add-On or Tweak, Does it already exist?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by iFanaddic, Sep 15, 2010.

1. iFanaddic macrumors 6502a

iFanaddic

I have a Macbook and I just hate it when it crashes because the battery is too low. I'm a snoozer, when I get the Low Battery Warning, I never plug it in right away, I know I should but I don't.

Then my computer crashes without a second warning and goes into sleep mode and it kills me. So I wanna know is there an app that can block the use of my computer at lets say 3% (unless its plugged in) so that I dont have a choice but to plug it in.

OR

A pop up countdown would be even better something like that

LOW BATTERY WARNING YOUR COMPUTER WILL GO INTO SLEEP MODE IN APPROXIMATELY 160 SECONDS

Wouldn't that be awesome?

Long story short I just wanna prevent my computer from crashing because of a low battery its so aggravating.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's what the Low Battery Warning is for. Another app won't help, if you choose to ignore the warnings. A warning can't accurately tell you how much time remains, since your power requirements change from moment to moment, depending on what's running on your system and how it's configured.
    Long story short, stop ignoring the built-in warning.

3. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Are you the type that ignores the idiot lights in your car?

4. iFanaddic thread starter macrumors 6502a

iFanaddic

Ya I thought about the on irregularity of power usage so a countdown wouldnt happen agreed, but we should still be able to freeze a screen at a given percentage no??

I'm not the only one who ignores the warning, I know many people have this issue. I don't know why apple choose to have it warn you at 19% that's freaken ridiculous I still have like a fifth of my battery left.

5. iFanaddic thread starter macrumors 6502a

iFanaddic

No but I am the type of guy who gets annoyed of the "beep, beep" sound in his car because he didn't tie his seatbelt before turning the ignition. :D

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There are many people in the world who ignore warnings and do many foolish things that cause problems with their computers. That's hardly justification for joining them.
    Again, the percent remaining will vary, depending on the load on your system. It's intended to warn you early enough to find your power adapter and plug it in, or save your work before shutting down.

7. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I actually hacked a warning to tell me when my battery goes below 50% (sometimes my power plug comes off and I don’t notice it). It then nags me for each 1% I got below that.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You need more cowbell! :D

9. iFanaddic thread starter macrumors 6502a

iFanaddic

Well I don't think I should take you're opinion as a reference because it seems to me you are using your macbook (or wtv else) as a desktop. I go around the house, to school.. and my power supply is sometimes in another room and I don't feel like getting it right away because im watching (reading, twitting...) something.

It's normal for you not to feel the need to have this feature but in my case it would be a very nice tweak. Isn't it bad for your battery if it's always connected to the power supply?

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Only if it's that way 24/7 for months at a time. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions: Apple Notebook Battery FAQ

11. iFanaddic thread starter macrumors 6502a

iFanaddic

Thanks but im sure I dont have this problem.