I want a cheap stereo microphone for recording

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by XPcentric, Feb 16, 2013.

1. XPcentric macrumors 6502

I know that the cheap headphones include a microphone but that is not stereo, the one I have, so I want a better one but not an expensive one. Do you know what I should look at when I buy it ?

2. Giuly, Feb 16, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2014

Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

Stereo is recorded with one microphone on the left and one microphone on the right. If you were to put that on a headset, that'd look really stupid.

The Sony ECM-DS70P is one of the cheaper stereo microphones:
    [​IMG]
    So is the Olympus ME-51S, which comes with a clip for the collar:
    [​IMG]

Otherwise there would be the Audio Technica 24 Pro:
    [​IMG]

And if you don't like those, you can always take two random microphones (preferably of the same model), put one on the left and one on the right, then hook them up to a stereo adapter:
    [​IMG]

3. XPcentric thread starter macrumors 6502

Many thanks for suggestions, I found a cheaper one similar to the Olympus ME-51S Stereo, I wonder if it is just as good in voice quality terms ? Only the brand name differs Hama Mini Microphone.

By the way, one sales man told me that the term stereo can be used only for audio devices but not for microphones, I'll have to look up to see the meaning.

[​IMG]

4. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

There is no stereo speaker, either. Two speakers, on on the left and one on the right however, are stereo. The same goes for microphones, that's why those devices consist of two of them.