i want a ipad2, what would you do?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bw1128, Jun 6, 2011.

1. bw1128 macrumors 6502a

so i want a ipad2 64gib 3g. but i dont want to run out and buy one since i already have a 2009 i believe macbook pro 15inch. so i was thinking about selling my macbook pro and buying a ipad2.

heres my dilima. would you do this? if so, even swap or who would owe money? what shold i sell my macbook pro for? its in perfect condition!

all i ever do is surf the web at home and d/l music and movies via internet. im afraid the 64gb isnt enough but i can make it work.

2. The Mad Mule macrumors regular

Sounds like you're going to be compromising a lot of control and space just to own a new toy.

3. bw1128 thread starter macrumors 6502a

i agree. but all we really ever do is surf the net usually. i never play games or anything that needs a lot of power

4. h00ligan macrumors 68030

Do you have another computer?

Too many shortcomings trying to use iPad as an only device. Not the least of which is storage.

Get a 16 gb after saving up and stream. Use your mbp as storage and creation.

5. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

Technology envy!

You'll have fun with your new iPad for some months. But when you need a computer, you'll be out of luck. Tablets are a thing of beauty, but they just do not compare.

6. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

I hope you do realize that also the I/O is very limited in the ipad. You cannot simply take your Digital Camera's SD card and watch the content. You cannot simply take a USB stick from friends and look at the content.
    If it is the only device I wouldn't do it.

I have only played around with an ipad in store but I know from my iphone that you cannot without a computer get music on there from anywhere but itunes. I tried once to download a podcast and wanted it to go into my music library. That wasn't easy.

Eitherway. A 2009 15" should still be worth enough to swap for such a toy. But you really have to work it out with the person you want to swap and how they see it.

7. Ladybug macrumors 65816

Ladybug

Keep the MBP and save up to get the iPad 2. As nice as the iPad 2 is, its still not a computer, and you'll need a computer to connect your iPad to from time to time for software updates and such. Anyway, jmho! :)

8. palpatine macrumors 68040

I think you have a great idea, given your situation. I would definitely sell the MBP, because it is far more power than you need or want.

There are a number of apps and online services that will enable you to do just about everything you need with the iPad. Presumably, with the release of the new OS you won't even need to sync with a computer.

However, I think you might also want to consider something like a refurbished MBA 11", or some other kind of computer for those times when you do need something like Flash, tax software, extensive typing, editing of video/images/documents, or any number of things the iPad cannot do (or cannot do well).

9. mark28 macrumors 68000

iPad 2 has no Flash or silverlight or DVIX support ( probably more things the iPad 2 doesn't support ). It doesn't offer full internet experience.

If you can live with these restriction, an iPad 2 should be fine for surfing.

10. Dave Felix macrumors 6502a

Dave Felix

Personally, I'd keep the MBP because its a full computer. My girl has the iPad 2 and occasionally uses my mac a lot. It all depends on how you use your MBP though.

11. Dave Felix macrumors 6502a

Dave Felix

I believe iOS 5 is supposed to change that. You wont need a PC or Mac to keep your iPad up to date as far as syncing and downloading new updates. But iTunes and music..I'm not too sure. Thats a great point you made. the iPad is lovely. I wanted one but when it comes down to it, its NOT a computer and should not be shared thru multiple users.

12. Sgt93 macrumors 6502a

Sgt93

Save up a few bucks and get an iPad 2 then. Selling tour computer to her one is ludicrous.

13. tashomamusha macrumors newbie

I have a very open honest relationship with my daughters so I would never be in a situation which would require them to hide anything from me.

14. gakuran hitori macrumors regular

gakuran hitori

That sounds ridiculous to me. Who would want an ipad as their only device?

15. mark28 macrumors 68000

What will you do when you need to restore your iPad without a Mac/PC? :D