I WANT A MAC! But should I wait until October or....

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jnash, Apr 26, 2007.

  1. jnash macrumors regular

    Apr 26, 2007
    Hey guys,

    I have been waiting to buy a mac for a while now (nov 06), due to I thought leporad was coming out in June, now that it is pushed back until October if I bite the bullet now I wonder how much will I regret doing so, I hear alot about the new LED displays and new intel proccessors. If it was up to you guys would you spend the $1,500 now or wait until atleast June to see what is announced at WDC or just wait until October and have the latest and greatest. I will mainly be using my laptop for family video editiing and photoshop. And of course all the great "I" programs that mac offer.
  2. SMM macrumors 65816


    Sep 22, 2006
    Tiger Mountain - WA State
    This question is asked and debated constantly here. So, you will likely get many different answers, perhaps even witness some off-topic banter. I do not really have an opinion for others. I buy when it is right for me. It would be highly unusual to respond to another who is in my same situation. However, I will offer what I have gleaned as the best argued group opinion.

    There is strategic value in waiting until June. If you do not have pressing reasons to make a hasty decision, then the wait will probably be rewarded. Waiting until October is probably only strategic for someone on a critically challenged budget. The upgrade cost for Leopard is less than I have paid for an after-dinner cognac.
  3. irishgrizzly macrumors 65816


    May 15, 2006
    Ooooohh! get you and your cognac
  4. Mantronix macrumors regular

    Apr 21, 2007
    I'm waiting until Leopard is released to get my Mac. That will also give me time to save up enough money.:cool:
  5. skwij macrumors 6502

    Apr 10, 2006
    Belleville, ON, Canada
    OP, you've waited since Nov last year???

    You've got more patience than me. Just get one now, and buy Leopard when it comes out. All the current models (well, maybe not the Mac Mini, or the baseline Macbook) will run Leo just fine (they will run it fine, but it could be a tad slower...then again, slow is in the mind of the user ;) ).

    The hardware upgrades won't make "all that much" difference to the vast majority of users. That said, remember that there are G3s and G4s that are still perfectly usable, and some of those are 7 years old! Buying now will NOT make your new Mac obsolete when the upgrades come out.

    Factor in that Apple has de-bugged the hardware in the current lineup, while the new lineups may have glitches, as the early Macbooks did.
  6. iW00t macrumors 68040


    Nov 7, 2006
    Defenders of Apple Guild

    Erm that is pretty dumb advice, if he just yields and buys one now what did he wait the past 5-6 months for? Absolutely nothing.

    At least wait till WWDC.
  7. thesnowman16 macrumors member


    Mar 24, 2007
    New Zealand
    Wait till atleast WWDC, you will regret it if you don't!
  8. sikkinixx macrumors 68020


    Jul 10, 2005
    Rocketing through the sky!
    I wouldn't wait till October for Leopard, its' only $125 for the upgrade no? Join everyone else in the long ass wait till June.... If Apple doesn't release new MB/MBP/Mini I am going to fly down to California and punch Jobs in the back of the head.

    They just love to mess with people, gives you a little peek then ship it 6 months/year later :(
  9. lionsnwings macrumors newbie

    Feb 14, 2007
    I was in the same boat when I wanted to convert to my first :apple: back in March. I convinced myself to buy it and and just spring for the extra $125 when Leopard is released.
    I am VERY glad I did, my worst fear came true for you.:(

    For the number of times you have searched this website hoping to see an update on Leopard, I am sure you could have found a way to make a hundred bucks;)
  10. Zwhaler macrumors 604


    Jun 10, 2006
    Youve been waiting since November 06? Why didnt you buy then, the new MBPs were less than 3 weeks old at that point. Forget waiting. Buy a MBP now they are not going to be much faster in the next revision. You have waited long enough.
  11. maestrokev macrumors 6502a


    Apr 23, 2007
    From announcement to shipping

    Just curious, from past history, how long from the date of announcement of a new model is the actual model available for immediate shipping and delivery?
  12. Cabbit macrumors 68020


    Jan 30, 2006
    Best to wait the current mac line excluding the mac pro are all underpowered laptops shoved inside desktop cases, or the laptops all have poor very low end graphics cards. The next line of Mac's will hopefully bring back desktop components to the imac and mini and some real power to the laptops. When you buy a laptop or a integrated desktop you really need a lot of hard drive space, fastest graphics card you can afford and a reasonable CPU if you want it to last longer than two years. A handy hint is to go by the lowest denominator on the CPU side, currently there is no dual/quad core sempron or celeron so for business apps you will get at least 3 years out of a single core system. For gaming with the current X1600 in these computers its already to slow for games that are out now and not a chance for future games so your waiting for the next line of mobile chips to come out. Hard Drive space currently tops of at 1 TB for a single drive and programs that use that are already showing face (final cut studio 2). Right now the computers are limited to 3 GB were our friends on the windows world are starting to use 4 GB. The new mobile chipset will fix this, the imac could be using more ram now if it wasn't for using laptop components in it.
  13. a456 macrumors 6502a


    Oct 5, 2005
    There is always something coming around the corner. The latest and greatest is not the latest and greatest for long. If you need a machine to edit family film then a Mac will do this now. My five year-old PowerBook does iMovie without a hitch. Of course if you can wait it would be nice to have Leopard and iLife 07 (08?).
  14. Cabbit macrumors 68020


    Jan 30, 2006
    For value for money sometimes you have to wait.
  15. xJulianx macrumors 6502a


    Oct 1, 2006
    Brighton, UK
    The current baseline MacBook and mini will run Leopard just fine...

    ..Mac's from many years ago can run Tiger perfectly fine.
  16. jnash thread starter macrumors regular

    Apr 26, 2007
  17. Andrew D. macrumors 6502

    Apr 17, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    If you have been waiting since November 2006 I would just suggest waiting until WWDC. Your best bet will be Apple does announce and release something big or worse cast, they don't Either way your purchase will be well worth it. For your sake, continue playing the waiting game. Good luck!
  18. johnee macrumors 6502a


    actually, I would wait till 2011 when the 3000 core analog processors come out. Those things are gonna scream!
  19. WannaGoMac macrumors 68020


    Feb 11, 2007

    Funny....Yet, it does strike a cord on how different ways people make purchases.

    For me, I want to get the best value for the dollar at the time -- which the current configs do not from Apple (relatively old hardware). Therefore, this type should wait to see what is released in early June.

Share This Page