Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zethos

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 21, 2007
I am thinking about buying a Macbook. I am pretty much in need of it now, but I don't want to buy one and find out that they are coming out with a new version in a month.

Does anyone know if they are coming out with any upgrades in the near future, or am I safe buying one now? Or does anyone know what date the current Macbook was released, that might give me an indication of how long until a new version.

Thanks.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
Does anyone know if they are coming out with any upgrades in the near future, or am I safe buying one now?
Nobody knows that for sure. Or rather, nobody who knows that would post and tell you. :p
Or does anyone know what date the current Macbook was released, that might give me an indication of how long until a new version.

Thanks.
Mm hmm. (It's one of the tabs at the top of MR.)

bbergie

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2006
Calgary
I'd be inclined to wait a few weeks, if only to ensure that your system will have the new iLife '07 preinstalled, rather than upgrade to it (if you're a big user of the suite's applications) later. But, this is only a small consideration. If you need a new laptop now––then get it. :)

Father Jack

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2007
Ireland
I'd be inclined to wait a few weeks, if only to ensure that your system will have the new iLife '07 preinstalled, rather than upgrade to it (if you're a big user of the suite's applications) later. But, this is only a small consideration. If you need a new laptop now––then get it. :)

Do you really think iLife will be out that soon?

FJ

ethermine

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2007
La Jolla, CA
I say buy one now. I have been without a decent computer for about a week now, and not having one really makes me realize just how much I depend on a powerful computer. For me, MBP certainly satisfies my overall craving for a high performance machine to an extent. Personally, tho? If anything does come out by Fall, I'll be putting my newly purchased MBP on the auction block right away. I really don't mind losing a few hundred bucks. Within the couple months I'll have it, I'll get my moneys worth out of it.

I typically keep laptops for about 6 months then get rid of them to upgrade. It's not very practical... but, it keeps me entertained and I only end up having to pay a couple extra hundred bucks for the next best thing.

Actually... I would be perfectly content with the idea of keeping this MBP for a year or so, however, the prospect of the new upcoming MBP featuring better screens with LED backlighting is what would sell it for me. Perhaps when and if that comes out, I'll hang onto that for awhile longer.

You just have to ask yourself what you want out of a computer and just simply pick one that satisfies your needs. a Macbook is certainly an excellent laptop that is comparable to the MBP in terms of capabilities. The Macbook is also priced decently to where it won't cripple your wallet.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
I am thinking about buying a Macbook. I am pretty much in need of it now, but I don't want to buy one and find out that they are coming out with a new version in a month.

Does anyone know if they are coming out with any upgrades in the near future, or am I safe buying one now? Or does anyone know what date the current Macbook was released, that might give me an indication of how long until a new version.

Thanks.

The MacBook is the best computer to buy now, simply because it is the computer that was updated the soonest time ago. Go for it!

wahddub

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2007
Saskatoon, Canada
Let's play Hungry-Hungry Hippos

I'm in the same position. I have a 3 year old iBook G4 800MHz and have been seriously considering a new MacBook since November. Forcing myself to wait until Macworld had the nice side-effect of causing me to actually save up enough spare cash for the MacBook in advance.

It seems like maybe we'll see iLife '07 and maybe, just maybe, Leopard released at this event on February 20th, so I think I will try to hold out a little longer. Maybe.

Zethos

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 21, 2007
Thanks everyone for the replies. I orded a new Macbook. I'm excited. I'm not too worried about any updates coming out soon. This is my first Mac so I won't know the difference between iLife 06 or 07 or leopard or whatever.

thanks again.

phungy

macrumors 68020
Dec 5, 2006
FL/NY/TX
wahddub the title of your post made me think about Donnie Darko when he was under hypnosis. When the psychiatrist(?) asked him what he had wanted, he replied with a pout "Hungry Hungry Hippos". That scene was hilarious.

student_trap

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2005
'Ol Smokey, UK
i just bough a mbp, which was upgraded around the same time as the macbook, i say buy it, i needed mine and its so nice to be using a new computer rather than making do with old hardware in the *hope* that what something better will come out soon. there will always be something new on the horizon, but you could be waiting forever!

ppnkg

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2005
UK
Don't wait, if you need it now. I find the whole discussion about waiting rather pointless, unless of course there are very very strong expectations about something coming out next week or in two weeks time (usually there is a pattern of rumours, so you can tell, I guess). I bought my imac in august 05 and revC came out in September. I don't have a problem with not having the revC. While I'm perfectly happy with my iMac, I think I regret more not having spent a little more at the time I bought it. I could have gone for the 20' iMac back then. Choose wisely from what's on offer right now.

quigleybc

macrumors 68030
I'm in the same position. I have a 3 year old iBook G4 800MHz and have been seriously considering a new MacBook since November. Forcing myself to wait until Macworld had the nice side-effect of causing me to actually save up enough spare cash for the MacBook in advance.

It seems like maybe we'll see iLife '07 and maybe, just maybe, Leopard released at this event on February 20th, so I think I will try to hold out a little longer. Maybe.

Hmmmm,

I'm in the exact same position, I've been saving, and saving, and i'm almost ready to pull the trigger on a Blacbook. Feb 20th ?? No news of this on page 1 MR....I like the sound of Feb 20

that's it....I'm waiting till Feb 20th.
:D :apple:

Grakkle

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2006
Earth
The thing is, there's ALWAYS going to be some sort of update coming up. So yes, you can wait for the update, but by then another update will be imminent.

Basically, my view is if you wait for every update (besides really significant, major ones - like the switch to intel) it's a waste of time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.