I want a new bicycle, which one?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by timmillwood, Feb 21, 2008.

1. timmillwood macrumors 6502a

I am looking to get a new bike. I used to race but dont have the time to do stuff like that anymore, I sold my last bike whilst in uni an now I have finished and got a proper job I want a new bike.

I have around £300 to spend and will be using it for bombing round the welsh mountains so somthig cross county / trails.

Was looking at the GT avalanche 1.0 2007 which is £330, do you know if anyhing better?

2. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

Several years ago, I visited a local bike shop where they let me ride two or three makes in my price range. I ended up with a Trek for around $300 U.S. I just liked the way it rode for me. Perhaps you can find a shop that will let you do the same?!

3. alFR macrumors 68020

For £300 you won't get anything decent with full suspension, so steer clear. Hardtails: at that price point things like your suggestion of the GT Avalanche or something like the Specialized Hardrock XC would be good bets. check out sales online from places like Evans and don't forget to look at Chain Reaction Cycles as well, they often have great deals on last year's models.

4. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

alFR is right about cheap suspension bikes, look for a hardtail with a decent fork and disk brakes if possible. GT and Specialized are usually good and I would also check out the Giant, Kona and Trek ranges. Sorry I can't be more helpful but I'm not that familiar with bikes in this price range. :eek:

You should be able to find better advice on proper biking forums such as Singletrack, Bikemagic or MTBR

5. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

HardRock a very good budget bike

GT is ok but i would go with the HardRock

or my next bargain bike

Stinky

ALSO : i use Bike Radar to check out the reviews and buyers guide, it's off putting when you have a budget of £300 and all the good gear is silly money.

But for £300 you will find a good bike! just don't go to Halfords!!!!!!!

here's some last years models

Hardrock 2007 with Hydro brakes and a ok ish fork ( allthough i'd add £100 for some Rockshock darts 3 at a later date)

Iron Horse Maverick 2.0 2007 - not my first chioce of a Full Sus but it will get you started @ £350

6. geese macrumors 6502a

geese

Actually, Halfords isnt so bad- their bikes are actually good, you need to know your bikes as the staff arnt as clued up as in a proper bike shop. Their Carrera bikes are good value for money.

I used to have a Specialized Hardrock Sport (£230 back in 2001). I really liked it- the components were good for the price (even the unbranded stuff like the brakes and hubs were good- much better then on my Marin Muirwoods) and it was a nice ride. Thats your safe bet i reckon.

7. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

yep i have had 3 Carrera's Vulcan/Kraken and Fury all have done a good job - halford's people do not know anything about bike's or how to build them.

if you have to get the Halford brand, only at rock bottom sale prices - the Fury 2008 frame is not bad and easy upgradable with Quality kit

8. timmillwood thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeh I definatly getting hardtail, I would like to try and get deore/LX which the avalanche 1.0 2007 has, the hardrock doesn't seem to until you go right up the spec.

I think I will have to go shopping and have a look/ play!

9. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

if you can test ride then do so - i was almost ready to buy online a GT , untill i test rode one and decided against it.

10. timmillwood thread starter macrumors 6502a

I might go upto £500 and get the rockhopper.

I think all will tell on sat when I go have a look and price up local shops.

Also in work they are starting a scheme where I can have a bike tax and interest free over 18 months if I use it to ride to work.

Only problem is work is 45mins car journey, so will have to see If I can get the bike without riding it to work!

11. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

You would soon get fit riding that distance every day :D

12. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Depends where you live!
    Here in London my parter's daily commute by car takes him around 45+ minutes.

By bike he does it in just over 20 minutes. :D

London traffic, eh? :(

13. timmillwood thread starter macrumors 6502a

I live in wales, 45 mins is a long way!

14. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Hehehe. I guessed that's what you were implying. And a few hills as well I would imagine… :p

15. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

I'd say the opposite. For £300 if you want a good bike, definitely go to Halfords. The Carrera range is amazing value for the price points, and the Carrera Fury was decreed the best bike by any manufacturer for under £500. Don't be fooled by the name, Carrera bikes are made by the same people as GT and Merida, but tend to be better specced than equivalent GTs, where you pay for the name.

Not always true. A lot of Halfords stores are staffed by unskilled idiots, but there are also many of die hard bikers working for Halfords. They tend to be the mechanics rather than shop-floor workers, and as such are rarely seen or tasked with building bikes.

I used to work for Halfords. I spent 4 years working at a pretty decent store, skill-wise. I was shocked at how bad the Halfords local to my uni is. By the time I left for uni I was the longest-standing member of staff in my store, and I was only a part-timer. I would work on any section apart from child safety, I didn't want my decisions to be responsible for the life of a young child.

16. alFR macrumors 68020

By who?

17. jaydub macrumors 6502a

jaydub

I just bought a Diamondback about a month ago, I'm very pleased with it. I've owned nothing but Diamondbacks, and I hadn't owned a bike for about 10 years, so I'm glad to be back on one.

[​IMG]

18. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

what mountain bike - i think the model they did was 2007 but then halfords changed the specs i think

19. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

It was one of the main UK bike magazines, I can't remember which as I would spend my lunch hour flicking between What Mountain Bike, MBR and MBUK. I think it was one of the first two. I tried to search but kept coming up with nothing.

I did find this. 4.5/5 review with an average 4/5 from the public. It seems to have been lowered from a possible 5 by only a few people with problems that could be found anywhere.

I'm a serious believer in Carrera bikes, I'd had the same one for about 7 or 8 years and loved it, when I had the chance to get a cannibalised one cheap I jumped at it and now have a current model Kraken with upgraded forks and wheels (but no better than you'd see on the Fury). It's a great bike for cross country, especially some nice fast singletrack.

20. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

my bikes last me 12-18 months - must be the way i ride em:D

21. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

Believe me, my first Carrera (the last of the hardtail banshees, similar to a Kraken now) was ridden hard. When I first got it I was young and naive, several times I rode it through shoulder high puddles. I would never service it. I used it for jumping and downhill. Then I left it sitting for a year or so when I got a jumps bike. When I sold that I needed something to get around, so I changed the front end of the Carrera (I could have serviced it, but it was getting old and by that point there was better stuff around) and it became my everything bike.

22. timmillwood thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have just found out about cwmcarn! Its only about 25mins drive from my house.

Can't wait to get my bike and get back on the trails.

23. Matildaaaargh macrumors newbie

Matildaaaargh

Cwmcarn is excellent. If you're thinking about the single track then the bikes already suggested are perfect. If you're planning more along the DH/Freeride then you'll be needing a much bigger budget.

24. timmillwood thread starter macrumors 6502a

I am torn between a Marin Hawk Hill (£579) or Specialized Rockhopper (£499)

Just looking for single track, DH too scary!

Marin has lower group set but better forks, frame, & brakes.
    Specialized has better group set but cheaper.

Another option is Rockhopper Disc at £599.
    Or Marin with same but better group set £649.

25. ArmyKnight12 macrumors 6502

ArmyKnight12