I Want A rMBP But...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Squilly, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Squilly macrumors 68020

Squilly

I really want to buy myself a Retina MacBook Pro. I always love having the latest and greatest. The problem is I know I won't use it to its full potential. I love how thin it is and the OS. Primary uses: college work (undeclared major, either business or CompSci), web browsing, Photoshop, gaming here and there. What should I do? Suggestions? I know it's a very expensive laptop but it'll last a good four years.

2. Joesph Lee macrumors newbie

I was in the same boat 6 months ago, but I decided to buy a refurbished 17" macbook pro with antiglare display because I can change out the parts when it gets older:) I use my computer for photoshop/gaming/ java programming

3. Squilly thread starter macrumors 68020

Squilly

Is java programming power-intensive?

4. AdrianK macrumors 68020

Running an IDE is pretty must the last thing which would tax a 2.3>= GHz Quad i7 :)

5. Joesph Lee macrumors newbie

not at all lol I think word processing is more power-intensive than running an ide XD

6. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Your call to make.

Few people use anything that they own to its full potential. No one number crunches 24/7 on their computers. No one drives around at full speed and at the limits of their vehicles all the time. Figure out your priorities and needs and wants and act on them accordingly. Polling isn't the way to address your problem.

Subjective. Only you can justify the purchase for yourself.

7. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Do u need one NOW?

With all the problems I see people are having (I know - I know, in the minority), I would wait, I mean at least until summer when am out of school and can deal with whatever problem come up. Right now in school I wouldn't even have time to make a Genius appointment, and by summer, whoo-hoo we expect a new chip-set.

8. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

Why do we have so many threads like this?

I understand that if you are not sure if the PC is capable of doing what you need then ask here but people are asking "should i buy it"?

I believe if you can buy such an expensive laptop then you've got to be old enough to decide yourself.

Ask yourself these questions:

1) Can it do what you need?

2) Can you afford it?

If yes, then it's YOUR decision whether or not to buy it. Not some random internet people.

9. shoppy macrumors 6502a

I use my 15 and 13" retina for web browsing iTunes and some light work.. I brought them primarily for the screen and the build quality.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd say go for the rMBP, you'll not regret it. A great computer that will last a long time and provide ample power when you need it

Resistance is futile :p

11. OnceYouGoMac macrumors 6502

If you want that Retina Macbook go ahead and buy it. You won't regret it and it should last you for several years. I had a strange dream last night where I got one. Very bizarre :confused:

12. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

It's a needs-versus-wants issue. That the poster is posing the question indicates (and as he stated in his post) that he knows the system represents a "want." It's a splurge. He doesn't need the retina screen. It's a very nice system, though. I think there are two types of people who pose these questions: those who know that they shouldn't make the purchase and want some outer reinforcement to keep them from doing it, and those who are really frugal and have a hard time splurging on themselves and who want reassurance that it's OK to do so.

So here's my advice. You're a college student. The retina Macbook Pro is not critical to anything you will be doing; in fact, I don't even see that it will offer an advantage. If anything, it is a disadvantage. Buy a regular Macbook Pro - or better yet, one from a generation or two ago - and you'll be able to extend its life by buying RAM and SSD upgrades as they drop in price, should you need them. With the retina Macbook Pro you'll need to buy those "upgrades" up-front and through Apple if you want to "future proof" your machine and account for a possible change in usage and computing needs on your end.

If you're an unusual college student and happen to have tons of free money floating around, then by all means enjoy yourself. Otherwise, I'd save as much money as possible now and pay down your debt as quickly as you can. You'll have a retina Macbook Pro at some point in the future, but this isn't the time for it - not for the extra associated cost.

13. jlc1978 macrumors 68000

jlc1978

As others have said, it comes down to can you afford it without breaking the bank. It certainly will last 4 years and beyond. So will a base MBP or Air; for a lot less money. Chances are nothing you will need to run in school will bring any current MB to their knees 4 years from now. If you can afford it go for it; if it means forgoing other critical school needs than get a less expensive Mac; and wait until May or so when Apple starts their back to school sale if you can.

One thing you do want to do is ensure it is insured. A good low deductible all risk replacement value rider is cheap and will cover you if it gets lost, stolen, or broken. Apple charges around $1400 for a highest tier fix anything hat is broken repair on a MBP, depending on the model. Another advantage of a rider is it will cover all of your electronics up to the policy limit - so if a surge wipes you out you are covered as well; at a cost a fraction of those store replacement plans.

14. KPOM, Jan 19, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2013

KPOM macrumors G5

Are you referring to the 13" or 15" rMBP? Either will last 4 years (the 15" a bit better because of the quad-core CPU and discrete GPU) although that will also require fighting your urge to have the latest and greatest since there will certainly be a lot of improvements over that time (I predict "Retina-quality" displays will become mainstream within 2 years throughout the Windows and Mac world).

That said, as others have pointed out, the MacBook Air and cMBP are also very good in their current forms. It's nice not to incur more debt than necessary, particularly between ages 18-22. A nice rule of thumb is to buy something only if you can pay the credit card bill in full the next month (and then do so). I like paying with credit cards for the warranty benefits, but I pay in full every month. I'd avoid the Barclaycard that they push in the Apple Store. The benefits are virtually nonexistent, there are no rewards (except the very first time you use it), and it's too easy to be lured into the trap of the interest rate deferral.

Since you are a student, I'd suggest looking the refurbished models if you do decide to go with the rMBP - or any Mac for that matter. The discount is bigger than the education discount and they are like new except the box. Don't worry too much about getting CPU upgrades (although the $85 upgrade from the 2.3GHz to the 2.6GHz in the 15" isn't bad if one shows up in the refurb store).

I'd recommend this as well. It's called a personal articles policy and can usually be purchased from the company who provides you or your parent's renter's/homeowner's insurance policy. Mine is $60/year and covers everything from theft, loss, accidental damage, fire/water damage and mechanical failure. I've had the policy for a few years now. It came in handy when I lost my MacBook Air last month while traveling. I wound up replacing it with the 13" rMBP.

15. JeffiJers macrumors 6502a

OP,

I bought the 15 Retina ONLY because i Needed a portable 15" computer. Everything else was a bonus.

Couldnt be happier not a single regret.

Most CPU/GPU intense things i do would be photoshop which isnt demanding.

16. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

Need and want are very seldom the same. I know my needs to not "justify" the capabilities of my rMBP but this is the computer I wanted--so this is the computer I bought and I am very happy with my choice. :)

17. Squilly thread starter macrumors 68020

Squilly

I can afford it, and it does more than what I need it to do. That's my point.

----------

I'm against the refurbished model, mainly because of the education discount. Also, my Visa credit card covers 5% towards in store purchases for six months, knocking it down another $100. Although, I don't know their warranty policy, if they even have one.