I want a rMBP with a DVD drive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by melchior, Mar 27, 2013.

1. melchior macrumors 65816

melchior

I will be buying haswell this year and I want a rMBP with a DVD drive so I can remove the DVD drive and have a mechanical hard drive for data alongside the ssd.

Fat chance though, I guess.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I'm sure you know that rMBPs have no optical drives or hard drives and there's no place to install either. If you want an optical drive for use with a rMBP, buy an external.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

It would be a big surprise if Apple went back to including optical drives like this. I don't think you will see it.

4. melchior thread starter macrumors 65816

melchior

I have no need of an optical, thoroughly antiquated media, I just want have the bay available for a hard disk.

It is widely expected that the rMBP form will become the norm this year. I'm just saying I'd be happy if the differentiation of form factors continued, as long as the retina display were available in both.

5. b0fh666 macrumors 6502a

b0fh666

nope, what he really wants is affortable decent internal storage (SSD+HDD)

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Ahh... gotcha. So you were hoping they would just add a retina display to the current MBP line and keep that extra bay that is now for the optical. IMO that "standard" Pro will go away all together. But who knows.

7. b0fh666 macrumors 6502a

b0fh666

sad thing, I'd buy a 13-incher 'classic' with a retina display in a heartbeat, and would not even bother paying a 'premium' for it.

but, between the fancy screen and decent storage/memory on a small package, the later wins hands down.

8. cube macrumors G5

I want a 17" cMBP with 3D touchscreen Retina, Blu Ray, Rosetta, ExpressCard 2.0, DisplayPort 1.2, 10GbE, and removable battery.

9. Ploki macrumors 68000

Who the **** uses BluRay?

I wish they'd remove one battery cell in favor of mSATA drives.

10. Asuriyan macrumors 6502a

A rMBP with an external hard drive duct taped to the bottom of the casing is still thinner and lighter than a cMBP.

I'm all for more (and expandable) storage, but I like my computer the size it is.

11. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

And I want thread titles that aren't purposefully obtuse, yet here we both are.

12. trikky macrumors regular

So...you want them to add something they no longer include, just so you can remove it? Okaaaaaay.

I think you've been working at Best Buy just a little too long...

13. maratus macrumors 6502a

maratus

How about no? :eek:

14. F1 Fan macrumors regular

F1 Fan

Or perhaps a fusion drive option. Not that it'd fit in the current rMBP shell and it does look as though we're seeing the last days of the cMBP so I wouldn't hold your breath.

15. Zeov macrumors 6502a

Zeov

Not gonna happen.

Maybe they'll add some more upgradeability.. but most certainly not a DVD drive.. they're almost useless now.. and i don't want a fat macbook because some people are still stuck in the early 2000's ^^

16. nando4 macrumors regular

You are then limited currently to a cMBP with it's 2.5" + optical drive. I'm guestimating the rMBP form factor will carry onto the Haswell platform. Adding a 2.5" storage bay, even in 7mm form factor, would need chassis real estate to accomodate. Upgradability appears to be one thing retina Macbooks are phasing out. Why add it when it works in Apple's favor to NOT include it? Means consumers will be forced to upgrade their whole systems in 2-3 years time to keep up with the latest software requirements.

There are however PC notebook options capable of hybrid SSD+HDD storage. See http://ultrabooknews.com/product-databank/ for a list.

Best ones imho being ultraportables - a 12.5" Lenovo X230 (msata + 2.5", IPS LCD) or 12.5" HP 2570P (2.5" + optical drive inc RAID-0 capable, i7-quad cpu upgradeable). Both are however fatter than a rMBP/cMBP but have additional features (matte LCD, touchstyk, 9-cell battery offering longer battery life, docking station option, NBD warranty, internal WWAN/3G capable, eSATA port). They have 1366x768 LCDs.

I prefer using my HP 2570P over the cMBP as a Windows notebook due to the more suited keyboard+mouse and better battery life. It cost quite a bit less as a s/h unit than my cMBP too. The Macbooks hold high resale value.

17. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Do you really need scads of storage on your portable computer? Why not use a NAS with FTP or WebDAV for massive amounts of storage in your own cloud.

18. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Too bad it wont happen...
    We are at a point where we might not see the cMBP anymore either.
    Id just get a cMBP and replace it with what ever you need.

19. b0fh666 macrumors 6502a

b0fh666

I do, as I am always on the road and certainly don't want to carry a NAS on plane trips :D

20. melchior thread starter macrumors 65816

melchior

yup, my internet connection is usually by satellite from inhospitable places and i return home once a year, sometimes. :rolleyes: