I want AC, how to get it with a modem/router

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by rajjejosefsson, Feb 21, 2014.

1. rajjejosefsson macrumors member

Have right now THOMSON TG712 which then is a router / modem via telephone jack/adsl here at home, but want to get out. AC speed over the wireless.

I need to find a suitable solution so i will be satisfied. want to get as good wireless as possible.

appears that it is only 802.11b / g on THOMSON TG712 Can this be true?

So what to get?

Need a solution for my local network here at home.
    Have a popcorn hour a-400, which has an internal hard drive ext3 formatted and 2 external hdd with ext3.
    A late 2013 macbook pro with AC wifi.

When mac does not support ext3, I've got problems and find it complicated to need to have parallels. and I've tried osxfuse that did not work for me.

so I wonder how it would be to have the Asus RT-AC68U or Airport extreme connected to my external hard drives and then stream to my popcorn that can read HFS + but not write. What I have understood.

I'm in the same room as my router and TV and my popcorn hour.

got a THOMSON TG712 as modem/router

2. skorpien macrumors 68020

The format of the hard drives connected to a media server really have little to do with whether a Mac can see and connect to the hard drive.

As a media server, the Popcorn Hour uses different connection protocols to "serve" the hard drives over the network.

On the Popcorn Hour A-400 product page under the tech specs, for connectivity it has listed Bonjour, UpnP SSDP, UPnP AV, Windows Media Connect, Windows Media Player NSS, Samba, NFS.

http://www.cloudmedia.com/products/popcornhour/store-a-400

Mac computers can use either Bonjour or Samba to connect to and read the media on the hard drives, regardless of the formatting of these drives.

I'm unfamiliar with Popcorn Hour, so I cannot provide specific help, but maybe a search for "Popcorn Hour A-400 OS X" will yield some useful results.

As for wishing to gain AC for your wireless network, you have a couple of options:

The first is to contact your ISP and ask if they have a modem/router that has AC included in the specifications.

The second option is to use a router that has wireless AC. You would then have to either turn off the routing capabilities of your modem/router (set it up as a gateway) or you would need to disable DHCP on your new router.

The former requires you to fiddle around with the ISP modem/router's settings, which depending on your ISP and modem/router can be either quite easy or downright impossible (again, a search with your ISP and modem/router name and gateway may yield some results). The latter option makes your new router act as a wireless access point while allowing your ISP modem/router to act as the routing device on your network and is generally the easier of the two to set up.

You can set up the new router without disabling DHCP or setting your modem/router as a gateway, but that will introduce a double NAT error which may impact the performance of certain programs/devices. Also, any devices connected to the SSID created by the modem/router will not be able to see or connect to devices connected to the SSID created by the new router.

Just to clarify, are you wishing to connect to the Popcorn Hour with your MacBook Pro only to upload the movies to the hard drives? If so, you don't need a new router or even AC, but just a means of being able to connect to the Popcorn Hour with your MBP.

3. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

You are asking two different things here...

1. AC is speed of the wifi. To do that, just get another router and put it after your DSL modem, turn off the wifi in your DSL modem and just use the new router (in bridge mode).

2. EXT3 is not read/write compatible with Mac OSX as far as I know. However, there are many applications which will give it support (macFUSE, Paragon ExtFS, etc. etc.). Do a google...

4. skorpien macrumors 68020

5. rajjejosefsson thread starter macrumors member

I have spoken to my ISP and they have no router with ac for me. They said I do it at your own risk and it does not give any support on how I should do.

OK, because that's what I've been thinking of having ac wifi to, to transfer movies to my popcorn that has ehthernet cable connected to it from the router and wifi from my computer. For right now I end up at 1-3MB / s I've tried ftp program and samba that you sent me.

Or should I get a thunderbolt -> Ethernet adapter and plug a cable to my switch which is in the TV bench to the computer instead.

Thanks for the quick response.

6. skorpien macrumors 68020

Either would work. The cheaper solution would probably be the Thunderbolt to Ethernet adapter. But in terms of future proofing, getting an AC router and running it as a wireless access point (disable DHCP) would probably be a better solution.

Make sure to connect the Popcorn Hour to the new router though. I'm willing to bet your modem/router only has 10/100 Mbps ports, whereas the new router will have Gigabit (10/100/1000 Mbps) ports.

7. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I am not surprised your ISP doesn't have an AC grade router. They are still fresh on the market and generally ISPs don't adopt new standards until a while later. It is all about how cheap the routers can be made yet still offer the programming for each company.

My suggestion would be to get your modem setup in bridge mode, or having the ISP give you a simple modem. Then, within the new AC router you purchase, set up PPPoE to complete the network. Then plug in your hardware to that router.

A recommendation I have is the Netgear Nighthawk models as well as the new AirPort Extreme. The Nighthawk is spec wise faster than the Extreme, and has some additional configuration options. However, in my experience with both, the Extreme ran for months until 7.7.2 came out. Aside from the one firmware upgrade and various power blips the AirPort never was restarted. However, the Nighthawk had to be reset about every two weeks to a month depending on what was happening on the network.

Unless you need the additional features of the Nighthawk, the Extreme is a great balance of stability and features.

8. rajjejosefsson thread starter macrumors member

Okey, i will go get a router from US when my father is there. so when i got the router. how do i connect everything, and will i get 1000Mbps when my modem is 100?

and what to do with my modem? turn of dhcp and PPPOE? or what is that?

i have been looking at TRENDnet

TRENDnet - IEEE 802.11ac Wireless Router

Model: TEW-810DR

any experience?

9. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I have not used TRENDNet routers but have used the switches. They get the job done and are really fast, coupled with a stable build quality and decent support I would say go for it.

10. rajjejosefsson, Feb 23, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2014

rajjejosefsson thread starter macrumors member

TRENDnet or Airport extreme will it be, just need to think some more days.

Which of the following should I choose, then I only have 28Mbps internet and want to transfer as quickly as possible locally ac wifi

is it same if i take the first one the cheap one?

11. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

A good thing to consider is the support of TRENDNet. You said you will be buying it in the United States. However, I am not sure if TRENDNet has any support elsewhere. I believe Apple is world wide in terms of warranty.

12. rajjejosefsson thread starter macrumors member

But do you think the TRENDnet will get broken or what do you mean?

13. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

What I was saying is that you made it sound like you are not in the United States. If that is the case and something happens with the TRENDNet router, I am not sure what the support is where you are. Different companies deal with this in different ways. I know AppleCare is world wide so if the AirPort dies bring it on into your local Apple Store or AASP.

14. rajjejosefsson thread starter macrumors member

The cheap TRENDnet is only 54 USD, just wonder if i get the same speed as the new one.

15. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Granted the TRENDNet is cheaper. Generally, I do not use their equipment. However, I used their switches and they were great!