Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cooknn

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 23, 2003
Fort Myers, FL
I shoot real estate panorama's, and because my pic's cover 360° I end up with bright and not so bright area’s in almost every one of my (interior) shots. Just like everyone else I have to shoot multiple sets of exposures and put them together one way or another. I am so sick of masking. And I don’t like the results from Photoshop CS2’s HDR functionality – or anything else for that matter. It’s come down to a manual process and it’s getting old.

Is there even anything on the drawing board somewhere that will shoot HDR? I don’t know the specifics regarding the technology, but I guess it would require the camera to capture 16-bit images instead of 8-bit. Somebody educate me :eek:

valdore

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2007
Kansas City, Missouri. USA
I just use the Auto Exposure Bracketing function on my digital Canon Rebel XT, use it to take three separate shots with different aperture openings, then combine them using a software called Photomatix Pro. I'm satisfied with it.

snap58

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2006
somewhere in kansas
I just use the Auto Exposure Bracketing function on my digital Canon Rebel XT, use it to take three separate shots with different aperture openings, then combine them using a software called Photomatix Pro. I'm satisfied with it.

I have heard it's better to change the shutter speed rather than the aperture.

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
Using the auto bracketing feature on the camera, both shutter speeds and aperture openings are varied with each shot. Sorry I should have included that part about the shutter in my previous post.

still, having aperture change changes DoF, which can lead to ghosting and makes output HDRs less sharp. and 3 exposures isn't good enough anyway for serious images, I usually shoot at least 5, and up to 21 for some shots I really care about!:eek:

Cooknn

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 23, 2003
Fort Myers, FL
Photomatix does okay - comparable CS2's Merge to HDR. IMHO, they both sacrifice the properly exposed area's to bring in those that would be too dark normally. What happens is you end up with an image with High Dynamic Range - but overall it looks too dark...

Regarding Auto Exposure Bracketing, my problem is that when shooting inside there is often a very big differential between the shutter speed for windows versus the rest of the room. More than ±2EV. Is it too much to ask for my camera to see as good as my eyes? One can only dream :p

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Is there even anything on the drawing board somewhere that will shoot HDR? I don’t know the specifics regarding the technology, but I guess it would require the camera to capture 16-bit images instead of 8-bit. Somebody educate me :eek:

They have it now. It's called "negative film" it has a huge dynamic range. Some panoramic film camera can take a 360 degree exposure all on one frame. The camera spins and the film advances past a slit and you get one long frame with no stitching required. There are digital versions that use a line sensor line like in a scanner and "scan" out a full 360 degrees. Pretty much solves your problem. Except one thing: The cameras are expensive. Likely cheaper to hire some guy with a cheap digi-cam and photoshop than to drop a few grand on a spin-camera

See here for more info
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panoramic_photography#Full_rotation

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
While I agree this would be awesome it certainly takes away part of the craft. I think digital took away enough of the craft already but then again I'm an old purist at heart.

Cooknn

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 23, 2003
Fort Myers, FL
They have it now. It's called "negative film" it has a huge dynamic range. Some panoramic film camera can take a 360 degree exposure all on one frame. The camera spins and the film advances past a slit and you get one long frame with no stitching required. There are digital versions that use a line sensor line like in a scanner and "scan" out a full 360 degrees. Pretty much solves your problem. Except one thing: The cameras are expensive. Likely cheaper to hire some guy with a cheap digi-cam and photoshop than to drop a few grand on a spin-camera

See here for more info
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panoramic_photography#Full_rotation
Very cool :D Thanks for the info!

srf4real

macrumors 68040
Jul 25, 2006
paradise beach FL
Is it too much to ask for my camera to see as good as my eyes? One can only dream :p

I feel ya, but then I'm already stoked at what a telephoto can do. Give it twenty years, cameras will automatically follow your eye movement and record twenty four hours of 100 Mp/frame video at 100 fps while fitting your face like a cool pair of shades.:cool:

spicyapple

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
I did the same thing with bracketing, but my camera can only do a max 2 f-stops. I found just shooting in RAW better since there's approximately the same amount of latitude in the RAW data as there is in auto exposure bracketing.

For real HDR, you'll need 5-12 exposures to do it properly.

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
hey cooknn, I was doing some unrelated research and saw that the 39MP Hasselblad CF-MS digital back does HDR. That and a HD3 body and a nice kit of hasselblad lenses should be nice and cheap, eh?;)

Cooknn

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 23, 2003
Fort Myers, FL
hey cooknn, I was doing some unrelated research and saw that the 39MP Hasselblad CF-MS digital back does HDR. That and a HD3 body and a nice kit of hasselblad lenses should be nice and cheap, eh?;)
Nice! You got me moving in the right direction - I just stumbled upon the Leaf Aptus 17 Digital Camera Back. "Raw HDR files of 16 bits capture a 12-stop dynamic range, producing every nuance in the shadows and highlights, and achieving consistently smooth and accurate colors." Only $16K :eek:

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
How many stops does a Fuji S5Pro/S3Pro get you in RAW? Should be more than the typical 10 stops (typical when shooting in RAW and using software to get the most out of an image).....maybe 12 stops total, with the extra 2 stops coming in the highlight end, right? It's probably not good enough, but if you can use a Fuji S5Pro and bracket.....

Coheebuzz

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2005
Nicosia, Cyprus
You heard correct, if you change the aperture you change the DoF. Just change the shutter speed..

Well using Aperture priority mode with auto bracketing will only allow the shutter speed to change, right?

Also how do you change the bracketing range after you've shot the first 3 photos, without pressing buttons on the camera and changing it's position? I know there is a remote that can do it but it was about $200 if i remember correctly.

JeffTL

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2003
I usually use Photomatix to put together pictures shot with AE bracketing on my Nikon D50, perched on a Bogen/Manfrotto tripod to keep it still even if I use the exposure compensation. Aperture priority mode works very well for keeping the aperture static and varying only the shutter speed; HDR subjects will by necessity generally be static subjects shot from a tripod anyhow, so fast shutter speeds aren't essential or anything.

Generally, I shoot 3 exposures with the bracketing and no exposure compensation, and then I compensate up and down five stops each and run the 3-exposure bracket again; I believe some higher-end camera bodies, such as the Nikon D200, can do a wide range of bracketing without needing to force it with exposure compensation, but I get good results.

Stratification

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2005
Spokane, WA
It probably still won't be precisely what you're looking for, but have you looked at Photoshop CS3's photomerge and HDR? They've done a heck of a job improving those portions of the program (in my opinion). Since it's free when you have CS2 you might just give it a shot.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Yup, and for the low, low price of $27,000....

To put this in perspective, I know one photographer who charges about $50K for a typical shoot. No he doesn't do houses for real estate agents or do weddings. But some studio setups are expensive to shoot and hence the $50K price. Have to hire models, makeup people, build sets and the studio space is rented. A $27K camera is not unreasonable for profesional use. Also the after tax price is lower than $27K

Have you ever priced a new film based Hasselblad or a Sinar P2 system. You can get to $30K real fast if you start buying pro level studio cameras.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
I shoot real estate panorama's, and because my pic's cover 360° I end up with bright and not so bright area’s in almost every one of my (interior) shots. Just like everyone else I have to shoot multiple sets of exposures and put them together one way or another. I am so sick of masking. And I don’t like the results from Photoshop CS2’s HDR functionality – or anything else for that matter. It’s come down to a manual process and it’s getting old.

The Fuji S3pro should give you more dynamic range, but why not just bring some strobes and diffuse them? A couple of good softboxes will brighten and even things up enough to be flattering in most situations.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.