I want an iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Chris64tx, Mar 10, 2012.

1. Chris64tx macrumors member

Hello everyone, I am new to this forum. I have been watching the forum for about 6 months now. Just like most of you, I am waiting for the refresh iMac. However, I am very impressed with the current iMac. I LOVE THE SCREEN..... I am looking at the 27in i7 3.4ghz. I will purchase 8 Gb of ram somewhere else to install. My question is is this good machine that will work for me for years to come?

2. Liquinn Suspended

Yeah it will work for years to come. When are you going to buy it? The iMac is due for a refresh, but if you wait for the newest thing you won't buy anything. :p :apple:

3. AcesHigh87 macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

They are all good machines and will all work for years to come. Impossible to say if it's good FOR YOU though without knowing more information. What kind of stuff do you plan to do on the iMac? Video / photo work? Sound work? General web browsing usage?

I just ask because you're looking to buy the top end iMac which certainly doesn't come cheap and if you're only getting it for average user use then you certainly don't need that kind of power and have no reason to pay for that kind of power.

4. barredfreak macrumors 6502

The iMac is an amazing device and you should consider buying it, refresh or no.

5. Chris64tx, Mar 10, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2012

Chris64tx thread starter macrumors member

I am a teacher/ photographer. I do a ton of work with Adobe CS5.......

----------

I know the refresh is due soon. However, no one truly knows when that will happen. I used to be the type of person that wanted the latest and greatest. Unfortunately, technology is turing so fast something new will always be around the corner. :cool:

6. AcesHigh87 macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

The low end 27 would do that fine; my high end 21.5 does it great and my 2008 macbook can if I ask it to. However, I can understand the want for more power. If you do decide to buy before the refresh (my guess is it will be in the summer again) consider looking into the refurbs if you weren't already. You can find some great deals in there. I know I noticed the high end 27" come on for the same price I paid for my BTO 21.5" a few months after I bought it :(

No matter what you do, as I said, it will be a great machine and certainly last you years. :apple:

7. Chris64tx thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the advice. Yes, I am looking into a refurbish machine. I am not opposed to buying new too.

----------

Quick question, if I buy new would I need a SSD drive or will the HDD work fine? The SSD drives are very expensive......:(

8. AcesHigh87 macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

Well the refurb store right now has 2 of the high end 2011 iMac's. The normal high end one for around 1800 and one with an SSD for around 2200 (I think, I'm not looking at it right now) so I would certainly suggest if you're going to buy now rather than wait that you go for one of those.

My macbook was refurb and has been running well for me for over 3 years now. They come with the same warranty and have been basically gutted of any hardware that was faulty so they might as well be new. Only thing that changes is the box they ship in. Personally I wouldn't say that box is worth $300 lol

----------

I doubt you'd need an SSD. They allow your computer to start up faster and open applications faster but have limited space and, as you said, are expensive. You'd need to buy an external for your files and then have your boot drive and applications on the SSD.

Some people swear by them but it's a matter of opinion. I plan to put one in my Macbook but my HDD is so small that I don't need the space, I need the speed. On the other hand, for the iMac, I'm fine waiting an extra 10 seconds or so for something to load in favour of the extra space.

It comes down to this. An SSD is more secure (less likely to break with no moving parts) and is lightning fast. BUT it has a quarter of the capacity and is expensive.

9. Chris64tx thread starter macrumors member

AcesHigh - Thank you for your quick and very good insight.....:)

10. AcesHigh87 macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

No problem, enjoy the iMac no matter which one you decide on :apple: