iPad I want an iPad that runs OSX:(

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Fifteen20s, Nov 12, 2013.

1. Fifteen20s macrumors regular

Yea, I know it's never gonna happen with an ARM processor and 1gig ram. Still with my needs the iPad is perfect physically just need OSX not iOS

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

here you go
    http://www.modbook.com

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

iPads do run OS X. They have since the iPhone first came out in 2007.

4. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

That's what Wikipedia says, so it must be true.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IOS

"iOS is derived from OS X, with which it shares the Darwin foundation and various application frameworks. iOS is Apple's mobile version of the OS X operating system used on Apple computers."

5. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

The countdown to the end of laptops and desktops for the mass population has started when ipad1 was released. Sure developers and work specific tasks may still use conventional computers in the future but we all know tablets and smart phones (mobile devices) will take over. Maybe then we will see desktop quality OS on iPads.

6. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Ummmm, the first iPad was released over 3 years ago. As of last month, Windows lived in almost 80% of devices, and iOS and OS X were both in single digits. I hate to say it, but despite the millions of iPads being sold and whatever the Apple marketing machine might want you to believe, Windows rules. Still. Laptops and desktops will be around for quite some time. Sadly. :(

7. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

If only there was a super portable Apple device that runs OSX, incorporates multi-touch, a bunch of IO ports, and even has a keyboard!!

Just joshin' ya'. I do think iOS for iPad could step up its game, though.

8. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

Not tomorrow I'm talking 5-10 years. Most statistics show PC sales declining rapidly year after year. Everything is going mobile and the trend is only going to continue .

9. syd430 Guest

Just get an 11" MacBook Air and rip the keyboard off. Problem solved.

The only thing that would be missing is someway to input text. Will also be missing a processor. And battery. And a few other things that you might need.

10. kap09 macrumors 6502

What would be great is an experience in between. I find myself using the ipad more and more and relying less on my MBA.

Ideal for me would be an iOS device that ran apps as capable as the OSX equivalents. I don't need an OSX interface as much as I need it's applications.

11. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

I agree. The replacement of the PC with tablets won't happen wholesale as some people imagine. Instead, it is happening little by little every day as tablets get better and better and are able to do ever more tasks. This is happening very rapidly in iOS. Even a year ago I needed to run to my computer to do a lot of tasks I couldn't complete on my ipad. Today that almost never happens outside of work. Even office apps are getting tremendously better. OneNote on the ipad is in many ways better than Microsoft's own web app. Eventually MS will release the full Office suite for iOS and it will start to close the work gap as well.

I'm even adapting to typing on the ipad screen, now consistently above 50wpm and faster if you take into account the auto correct.

12. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

Like this? ;)

[​IMG]

13. nostresshere macrumors 68030

So, you want OSX. Can you elaborate more about what it is you want, as OSX by itself is pretty much nothing. It is the apps/programs that run with it that matter.

14. mathi-vadhanan macrumors member

mathi-vadhanan

iOS on iPad has a lot of potential. What I would like to see on iPad air
    For Eg.,
    - Proper File System
    - Multi-Window multitasking
    - ability to dock with external displays/peripherals
    - Mouse support
    - ability to set default apps
    - OS-X style notification
    - OS-X style launch pad and desktops. Android launcher best mimics this. Springboard on iPad sucks big time.

I believe Windows - 8/Surface pro was going for such a convergence device. But, as usual Microsoft execution left a lot to be desired.

15. richardbb85 macrumors 6502a

keep dreaming on all that, multitasking will never happen

16. slffl macrumors 65816

slffl

The 'iPad Pro' will be an iOS/OSX hybrid. Until then use Logmein or Onlive Desktop.

17. comatose81 macrumors 6502a

People in hell want ice water. What's your point?

18. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Surface Pro 2 looks pretty sweet...

19. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

I wouldn't count on it.

An interesting device, but honestly, having owned a Surface since day 1 the ONLY reason I can see to have one is is you are really into the stylus. Otherwise a laptop and an ipad is better in every single way.

20. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Except portability, of course. Surface Pro > iPad + laptop combo.

The Pro 2 is the device I'd but today if I were in the market. But having and MBA + iPad now makes upgrading moot. In two years though....

21. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

But the combined weight really is quite small today even for two devices. Whereas 5 years ago I was carrying a 5lb laptop, a few books and a bunch of magazines, today I have a 3.5lb laptop, a 1lb ipad, and no books or magazines at all. The Surface pro is such a terrible tablet that I'd still want my ipad, and it's enough worse as a laptop that I'd prefer the laptop. The form factor compromises far outweigh the weight advantage when my bag is now virtually empty compared to where I was pre-ipad.

22. undesign macrumors regular

Sadly?

23. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Yes. I'd love my iPad (or any other tablet) to be my only device.

24. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

Surface 2 is the closest thing to it, it runs a real OS, comes with a MUCH better browser than iPad and works with pretty much every peripheral known to man. I can't believe that Apple is letting MS beat them to the desktop/mobile convergence future after having such a head start with the iPhone and iPad. I love OSX, but at this point ios is a joke compared to Windows 8.1/RT and even Android.

25. hellstorm12345 macrumors newbie

Yes, the Surface Pro isn't a great tablet due to the weight and somewhat awkward aspect ratio. But nowadays most electronics offer so much convergence that it isn't practical, especially price wise, for some people to carry two devices when one can serve 80% of their needs. The Surface Pro 2 fixed both of the battery concerns; I would interested in what the third generation Surfaces (which presumably will be slimmed down) or the rumored iPad Pro would offer. Knowing Apple though, I would be wary of the first gen iPad Pro, which I can almost guarantee will come with odd quirks that will be resolved in its refresh. Second time always seems to be where Apple gets it right.