I want an iphone BUT do not need data plan

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ingenioso, Oct 7, 2008.

1. ingenioso macrumors newbie

But the data plan is mandatory. is it possible for me to cancel the data plan the next month after I buy the iphone?
    Or can I get my iphone unlocked and then remove the dataplan?

Thanks

2. TheConfuzed1 macrumors 6502a

1. Buy a first gen iPhone.

2. Call AT&T (or whoever your provider is), and tell them to turn off any internet signal from going to your device.

3. Insert your sim card and jailbreak/unlock it.

You now have a working iPhone with WiFi, but no data plan.

3. ingenioso thread starter macrumors newbie

where can i buy a first gen iphone from? from apple? cingular?

4. Snatha1061 macrumors newbie

go with tmobile

you would have to buy it from someone like on craigslist.
    but i would reccomend unlocking it then using it on tmobile....then if you want you can get the 5.99 plan and install the hack, to use it.

5. TheConfuzed1 macrumors 6502a

Uhhh... No. Those are long gone.

You will have to buy used.

You could try eBay, but you will probably have good luck with Craig's List, which is a plus, because since you're dealing locally, you can actually see and try what you're buying before giving them your money.

6. maxxscholten macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

Cingular went away years ago....

7. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Are first-gen phones a hot ticket for things like this? I have one and am holding off on upgrading until they get at least to a 32GB phone. If I could sell my first-gen phone for $400 or so, I'd do that in a heartbeat once such an iPhone existed.

8. mattocs macrumors member

On eBay it seems all 2g iPhones are unlocked, so if you unlock yours, right now you can get $400 or so. I was just looking at a few 8gb unlocked 2g iPhones and they are ending in a little bit, and they are all around $350 - $450. I don't know what the value would be later when/if a 32GB 3g comes out...should still be around $300 - $400.

9. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

As long as the iPhone 3G isn't able to be unlocked by Pwnage the iPhone 2G will still pull a good amount of money. It'll drop to 200-300 when the 3G finally can be unlocked.

10. ingenioso thread starter macrumors newbie

I thought you could unlock it alreaady???!!!!!!!!

11. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

3G can only be unlocked with hardware mods. There's no software mod for it yet.