I want an iphone but not AT&T

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by twaseverthus, Dec 5, 2007.

1. twaseverthus macrumors newbie

I have used at&t twice in my life. Both times the customer service was the worst I have ever experienced from any company. I just disconnected my home phone to use Time Warner cable. I have been using Verizon for my cell phone for over 8 years now. Their customer service has been far, far, superior. It is a bummer that I am going to have to wait till 2011. I will never use at&t again. I wish Steve could have done a better job persuading Verizon!!! Anyone else feel the same way?

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I had Verizon for a few years when I lived in Florida, loved them. However, when I moved to Colorado, I found the coverage was really bad. Couldn't get a signal in my house, or a few of the main roads I travel. Switched to Cingular and the coverage has been way better.

3. Eddiestein macrumors member

I feel the same way. I will never do business with NSAT&T.

Check to see T-Mobile's coverage in your area (for the iPhone, it's either NSAT&T or T-Mobile because the iPhone is GSM). If you can get your hands on a 1.1.1 phone (not 1.1.2 OOTB), you can unlock it.

Eddie

4. anti-microsoft macrumors 68000

Go to europe and buy one in france or somewhere

5. olliebraves20 macrumors regular

I believe that Verizon did have the first crack at getting the iphone. I believe they balked at having Apple servers integrated in the wireless network (visual voicemail). Thats kind of is Verizon's fault, not sure why it would have been such a big deal...plus had they had the iphone they probably would have once again been the biggest wireless provider again....lets face it..if Steve couldn't convince them nobody probably could...

6. Eddiestein macrumors member

That's not necessary. Just get a 1.1.1 phone (try a small AT&T store) and unlock it. It'll cost less.

Eddie

7. GTiPhone macrumors regular

No.

5 years ago I switched from Cingular to Verizon because the service (TELEPHONE service, not customer service, which is non-existent at any carrier so get used to it) was terrible......when the iPhone came out, I switched to AT&T. I'm perfectly happy. Nothing wrong with it.

Verizon has nothing on AT&T. Nothing. If the iPhone was 3G NOW, instead of, next year, it would be the perfect choice.

8. calvy macrumors 65816

Yep, it's completely impossible that apple said "wait a minute, so if we went with you now, we'd have to use a cdma chipset, but you plan on switching to a GSM standard in 3 or 4 years? Hmm, that's not very good. If we went with GSM now, we'd be able to make just one model and sell it all over the world. You're going to have to bend over backwards if you want us to partner with you" Verizon: "No, we are not going to bend over backwards". Apple "Ok, have a good day". "Hello, AT&T, we have a deal for you."

9. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

It had nothing to do with servers or visual voicemail integration, etc. That's pretty common stuff to do.

Verizon didn't want to give up control over pricing, warranty, and the selling of media (since they sell tunes, TV, ringtones as well) and apps.

AT&T, who never saw the phone until Dec 2006, figured it was worth a shot since it'd take little or no investment on their part whether it failed or succeeded.

10. GTiPhone macrumors regular

An as bad as Apple may get, VCAST is the single biggest rip-off in the mobile phone world.

11. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

Buy an ipod Touch. That's the way the cell market works.

Seriously, I don't have much sympathy for you. You like Verizon, that's fine. They don't like sharing, and so they told Apple where to put their iPhone. Apple isn't hurting for lack of business, so clearly shrugging off Verizon wasn't the worst thing in the world.

And besides, AT&T has an ACTUAL open network, as opposed to the "open if we approve it in a year or two but only for Sprint phones and maybe one or two Korean phones you can pay through the nose to import" network that Verizon offers. Also, AT&T has never attempted to censor any text messages I opt in for, whereas Verizon was getting kicked around recently for not allowing their members to receive text messages from political organizations THAT THE CUSTOMER SIGNED UP FOR. I like my cell service without a helping of censorship and judgement, thanks.

12. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

At this time and the foreseeable future, Verizon DOES NOT have any technical capabilities to use any GSM phones (internation standard).

Therefore iPhone which is a quad-band GSM (which works all over the world) will not work on Verizon. In the US, the big alternative to AT&T is T-Mobile.

13. dugs022 macrumors newbie

Verizon network is CDMA, AT&T and T-mobile use GSM. So, currently in the US if you don't want AT&T, your only other choice is T-mobile. Unfortunately, T-mobile network is inferior to AT&T. So, you really don't have any better choice right now anyway.

14. GTiPhone macrumors regular

Thankfully someone with a brain. These are facts.

Facts that make any an all unlockers look like hack-head, nerdy morons.

In case you all don't know what a nerdy moron is (LOL), its someone who does something very "nerdy" like unlocking a locked mobile phone, and does it simply because they can, rather than to any actual benefit. It would, instead, be a detriment.

15. hidehide macrumors 6502

Get a 1.1.1 and unlock it, don't be like those morons whose sign a long 2-year contract.

16. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

yep. And all the OP needs to do that on verizon is an electrical engineering degree and a software degree, plus a CDMA chip and antennae. A simple rainy day project. ;)

17. lilnyc macrumors 6502a

lilnyc

Solution: Voyager

18. megfilmworks macrumors 68020

megfilmworks

As stated by lilinyc and others...you have no options.
    Verizon was never a consideration as they could not support the iPhone and
    T-mobile is a joke, mostly used by pay as you go subscribers.
    The biggest and best is At&t. They may suck from time to time, but it only gets worse with other carriers.

19. savanahrose macrumors 6502a

savanahrose

I went to Verizons (currently subscribe to this) and looked at the voyager. The salesperson actually let me TRY to use it. it seemed more cumbersome to use. The keypad on it wasn't too bad but after trying out the iphone in Jax at the apple store I definitely noticed a big difference. I would never get the voyager. To me the iphone was simpler and better than the voyager.

20. mechanix9 macrumors newbie