Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sherman Sherman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 28, 2008
STL
I currently have a Black Jack with At&t. They want me to pay $399 for an iPhone. Not going to happen.
So schemes or ways of getting around my problem?

My first idea is to borrow my friends old 1G iPhone activate it and then tell them I like to upgrade to an iPhone 3G.
With that idea the question arise like, how long must it be activated for to get the upgrade, or would there be some other kind of problem doing it this way.

Second idea is to have my friend use their upgrade to an 3G iPhone and when they got it just have me activate the new one and my friend keep his old iPhone.

Any ideas let me know. Thank you

bluenoise

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2008
How long do you have until you're eligible? How long have you been with AT&T? I had about four months to go on mine and I just asked nicely. I got the upgrade price. I've also been with AT&T for more than ten years, so that might have been a factor.

rKunda

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008
You could just own up to the contract to which you agreed.

Yeah, or try fraud.

l Shad0w l

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2008
NY,NY
First off your first idea wont work. That trick only worked if u activated the iphone 2g BEFORE the iphone came out. So you had untill July 11 to do that.

Your second idea will absolutely work. In fact I've done the same exact thing. I didn't have a upgrade but a friend did. My friend just got the phone with her upgrade then i took out the sim in her new iphone and put in mine and it works perfectly fine. Then she called up att and told them she would like the iphone 3g data plan removed from her plan since she no longer has it, they will then ask for the imei # of the phone your friend is now using, then your friend just tells them the imei # of his old phone and your all set. Like me you can even get around the data plan doing this, just when you put your sim in disable 3g and push and make sure your not on pay per use for a data plan and your all set. You can even take one step further by adding the media net plan for only $15 to your plan and the 3g would work fine, this would work because att has no record of the new imei# of the iphone your using they still think your using your old phone. I've been doing this for about a month now without any problems nor any ridiculous phone bills.

neesh0

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
If your contract is gonna last for a while, go for your second plan, if it expires in the next 3-4 months hold out until it does so it can save you the complications of having to use your friends account to get the phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.