I want back display icon on the menu bar.

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by macross18, Apr 22, 2014.

1. macross18 macrumors newbie

I run MBP retina and have to plug another monitor with a diff resolution from the home one at the office. I don't want to have to goto system preferences to get it sorted.

It even screws up my display arrangement.

It thinks the two samsungs are the same but makes the smaller one default on 640px. WTF? It's a 1080p but there's no option to choose it back. %$$%#$%$#%

Please give use back choices on display sizes. I don't want you to think what the best display size for me. At least give me an option.

2. bbfc macrumors 68030

bbfc

You are not talking to Apple here.

Submit feedback to them.

3. macross18 thread starter macrumors newbie

just ranting but i complained to them already and hopefully more people with join in.

some people didn't even realise it was gone!

4. dmccloud macrumors 6502a

dmccloud

But it's not gone. Look at the lower left of my Displays preference panel:

[​IMG]

You can also hold the Option key down while pressing either the F1 or F2 keys (brightness up/down) to bring up the Display panel immediately.

5. macross18 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the shortcut.

But let me explain in more detail.
    The scaled option will only allow 480p or 720p once the things shorts out- which is often.

I don't want mirroring. I need more real estate for editing.

When I go to the office it's sometimes a 1680Xpx something monitor [17-20"]
    so I have readjust the setting as it doesn't detect properly all the time.

I want the display icon on the top right menu bar beside the airport one with a drop down menu to choose the size. SL used to remember what resolution I've used before.

6. Fangio macrumors 6502

Lion still has it also. I miss this too, in Mavericks on a cMP

Attached Files:

7. Fangio macrumors 6502

8. gumblecosby macrumors 6502

If you copy the "Displays.menu" from /System/Library/CoreServices/Menu Extras from OS X Lion you can get the display menu back. It works perfectly for Mountain Lion but Mavericks is unable to write to the plist correctly. This means that the recent display options will not update. If you copy a plist from Mountain Lion or older it will have all the recent items that you use normally though. The plist is located in ~/Library/Preferences/ByHost and is pretty hard to recreate manually. It is called com.apple.windowserver.X.plist where the X is a randomly generated numeric value. For example mine is "com.apple.windowserver.A6877ED0-B36B-52D5-9AD3-292D570C8089.plist"

Below is a screen from Mountain Lion with the Displays.menu added. Apple had removed it Mountain Lion onwards.

Attached Files:

9. macross18 thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't have mountain lion since I only have one MBP already updated to running mavericks.

Would it work if you send me the plist? Your help is appreciated.

10. macross18, Apr 24, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2014

macross18 thread starter macrumors newbie

This app is only applicable to a US address. :mad:

It's asking me for a billing address and i have to fill all the details including state-which is all USA states. :mad:

11. Fangio macrumors 6502

OP, then you need to go to the Mac App Store in your country and register there. This is the same link for Malaysia (../my/..) and should lead zu to your local MAS: https://itunes.apple.com/my/app/display-menu/id549083868?mt=12

gumblecosby, very nice! :) I did that in ML and it works perfect, then copied the prefs to my Mavericks SSD. And you're right, it doesn't update properly, but some sort of update is still going on, it didn't keep all of the desired resolutions from ML. Need to find a way to edit the .plist, or maybe it has to be locked? Will look at it later with TextWrangler, have to work now. Thanks anyway!

Attached Files:

12. macross18 thread starter macrumors newbie

failed to verify preflight file. whatever that means.:mad:

13. Fangio macrumors 6502

14. macross18 thread starter macrumors newbie

$%$#%$%$

Must have had tried umpteen different ways and typing the A ID password at least 50 times.

I give up. Apple, Mavericks is stewpid. You effing wasted 2 hours of my time.
    End of rant.

I'm going to make a voodoo doll to stick some pins into the idiot that made the decision to take the displays icon out. GRRRRR

Thanks trying to help guys, I didn't get what I want but I wont be recommending mavericks to anyone I know.